Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. spurs1961double

spurs1961double New Member

Jun 6, 2007

Well, I guess I get their point, despite the fact that it's disappointing.

This is a Canadian 'category' to the Forum. As such, the content needs to consist of a Canadian theme. The Canadian TV angle fits that content. Simply having 'Canadians' discussing non-Canadian content doesn't. Although we have no 'say' over whether or not we can start up a new Thread, the common denominator (for us) in wanting to start a discussion about English football is that we look at it from a Canadian's viewpoint. Not an American viewpoint, or a British viewpoint, and so on. Obviously not a strong enough connection to warrant special consideration.

Not speaking for the administration and moderators, but I guess they need to categorize 'content', otherwise they have the same gazillion topics in all kinds of different threads.

Oh well, it was a nice try. I, for one, have no real interest in going to a thread about Canadian players in UK Football. Bit like reading 'The History of Kim Campbell as Prime Minister of Canada' !

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Well, considering that is one of the primary topics and this is a site for Canadian topics I guess I can say it's been nice knowin' ya. I would have thought the raison d'etre of this forum would have been obvious except for a few threads that have seeped in recently.

This thread has become a really lame way of talking about what should be discussed elsewhere. If this thread passes muster, it does so, barely.

Too bad some of you living here seem to have no interest (or support) for Canadian soccer, we can use all the help we can get, hence the protective attitude.

3. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    On Setanta will they be showing Champions League content as well as Uefa Cup and MUTV. I know they show those on the US feed.

4. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Moaca,

Rather surprised by your comment.

I thought my response was very respectful and understanding of your decision. My post was also intended to prevent any negative responses to your previous comments. You seem to have us 'wrong'. This is a thread about Canadian TV as it relates to soccer, and I for one enjoy being here and contributing, and intend to continue. That doesn't mean that I or any members of this Thread are not supportive of Canadian soccer. The fact that I am a member of Toronto FC and had to give up my season tickets to someone else as 'mobility' has slowed me down rather spoils your argument. Why would you think forum members here are not supportive of Canadian soccer? That's a little like saying that those who take an interest in European hockey leagues are showing no support for the Toronto Maples Leafs, or the Edmonton Oilers. Your comments, with respect, don't make sense.

My comment about "no interest" in going to a thread about Canadian players playing UK football and being somewhat like reading a book about Kim Campbell as Prime Minister of Canada was intended as being humourous considering the number of days she was in power. Hardly an indictment about one's lack of interest in Canadian players plying their trade abroad!

Again, surprised that you would criticize a 'post' when it was supportive of your mandate and opinion - and intended to fend off any negative feedback from those who perhaps wouldn't understand your viewpoint. I understand it, and I said so.

Surprised by your attitude, sorry.

5. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Am I reading this correctly, Moaca?

I get the sense that you don't agree with the Soccer on Canadian TV thread which has been on-going for at least one year, and at least 700 plus posts. I think you need to get one message across, and not two.

On Friday, Gordon, your fellow moderator, congratulates the members for the number of posts and invites us to continue on a new thread. Then today, you (Moaca), accuse us of having no interest in supporting Canadian soccer and wishing me a "nice knowin' ya" even though I supported your stance and viewpoint, as if to say that continuing with our existing thread is not appropriate. Is it that you, personally, want to vet and censor each post? Or that you think the Thread, which was approved back in August 2006 (and before then if I recall), shouldn't be allowed.

You have to realize that the new Setanta TV deal has raised all kinds of questions for soccer fans in this country, so therefore the posts are focused on the "English" scene for a while. But, having contributed since June, and under a different name since last year, this Thread has contributed to posts about Canadian soccer, European soccer, South American soccer and the like - all with a Canadian TV perspective. The title, which I assume someone approved long ago is, Soccer on Canadian TV. You can't then censor the Thread (providing it's focused on a Canadian TV discussion) based upon the fact that you don't like reference to any football played beyond the confines of BMO Field, with all due respect.

I think we all appreciate the opportunity of what BIG SOCCER provides - but your criticisms of those here, and your 'cast-off' farewell comments are not worthy of a Moderator.

6. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Moaca is misguided

7. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton
    I'm feeling a little less diplomatic than Spurs. Your comments were disrespectful and insulting, Moaca. This thread accomplished a lot and provided help to a lot of frustrated people (including me), who were having trouble accessing their footy on Canadian TV. Are you a CRTC employee in disguise?

8. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Lets not get all riled up.

spurs1961double is correct about the reasons for closing the discussion of the English Leagues. That is the way Big Soccer organizes itself.

Subforums, such as Canada, need to have a volume of activity and a unique relevance in order to continue as a sub-forum. Hence at least part of MOACA's intervention. Those of us who frequent this board do not wish to see our threads and topics merged into a broader (such as CONCACAF) forum.

Although there is an obscure subforum for television off the Business and Media forum I have left this open and running as I think that the information is useful and more easily found for Canadians who wish to follow Canadians abroad as well as those who wish to follow their European teams. It is not limited to any specific league and it is relevant only to Canadians. So I think it fits, and is useful info. As long as the thread does not lose touch with its raison d'etre it will remain open.

MOACA is not, BTW, a Moderator. He was one in the past and did a fine job, most especially in dealing with a serial troll. The Moderators on this forum are Blizzard - who also moderates the TFC board - DoyleG and myself.

9. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Appreciate the feedback, Gordon.

No-one here, I want to believe, wishes to be disrespectful where it comes to contributing to the service Big Soccer provides. I think we welcome your input and guidance so we know where not to stray. Perhaps only official Moderators, in the future, would offer their opinion as to the worth of a particular Thread so that we do not become offended by perceived 'official remarks' such as a "really lame way of talking about what should be discussed elsewhere..."

We appreciate that Big Soccer sees the Canadian TV thread as a critical component of soccer being shown and played all over the world, and as you have also noted, it has provided useful information for many of us starved of updated facts.

Whereas you will no doubt keep an eye on the 'majority' of posts to ensure that the 'theme' of the Thread does not lose touch with its "raison d'etre", we will also do our part in monitoring ourselves through gentle reminders to those who may not be aware of the Thread's intent.

Thank you again.

10. ViLFC

ViLFC New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Does anyone know anything about the Champions League matches being played on Wednesday?

If I recall, I thought that TSN and RDS would be getting the matches, but while looking at their schedule, there is nothing up yet....

11. Perceptor

Perceptor Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Calgary
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quick question - does anyone know if Setanta is carrying the CL qualifiers this week?

12. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It appears so - please see my post at #273

13. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Just started watching the Southampton/Peterborough CC 1st round tie and there were UK adverts before the game...a Strongbow advert, then one for a bank etc, then one for a car. It looked as though Setanta were taking the feed directly from Sky w/o inserting North American based adverts.

14. venegoor

venegoor New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Killie v Dundee United at 5 PM ET on Setanta for all of us SPL fans. Only delayed a couple of hours.

15. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    SOME USEFUL INFORMATION FROM SHANE O’ROURKE
    SETANTA NORTH AMERICA

You may recall a Post from this past Saturday where I indicated that I had written to Shane O’Rourke, president of Setanta North America, to talk about two issues.

Number 1

The telecast from Setanta on Saturday morning whereby full-time results from the 4 short-delay games are provided moments after the final whistle of the ‘first choice’ game at 10:00 am (east). I had requested whether a brief warning can be provided so that knowledge of final results can be avoided in order that ‘short-delay’ games can be viewed in a ‘Live’ format.

In a reply this afternoon (yet another example of Setanta’s incredible enquiry turn-around time), Mr. O’Rourke had the following to say:

“Can't change the Scores as that is Setanta Ireland and they will be doing that from there. We will look into this and possibly provide a warning before we do it. Naturally in the US and Canada a lot of people watch the games delayed that evening. I do it myself so I can understand."

Number 2

I questioned Mr. O’Rourke’s calculations on an EPL Talk interview (August 6) where he indicated that Canada would be able to view all EPL games on Setanta (except the Sportsnet and Score matches) and that this number was “200 plus”. By my calculation, there are 380 matches in an EPL season. With 76 games (approx) allocated to Sportsnet and The Score, this would leave Setanta with 304 games (approx) to broadcast on either a ’live’ or ’short-delay’ basis. All figures based on how the schedules are devised. The only reason for questioning his numbers was the significant difference between ’actual’ and his estimated number. Mr. O’Rourke had the following to say:

“200 plus. Correct - more like 300.”

Mr. O’Rourke also added the following:

“We will be trying to bring more half time and full time round-up from our Setanta studios in Dublin and in London as it rounds out the programming.”

All positive feedback from Setanta.

PS: And talking of Setanta’s high level of service, I followed up with Jessica France at Setanta to thank her for passing my email to Shane. She then sent back an email, thanking me for thanking her! Bell ExpressVu, are you listening?!

16. ajbj76

ajbj76 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Langley, BC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quick question,

Does anybody know a place in Victoria, BC that might be airing the Manchester derby this Sunday?

I assume nobody will be open at 5:30AM to show it live, but it would be fantastic if that were the case.

If not, I suppose Setanta will air a repeat at some point?

Cheers

17. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Not great news for our friends in Quebec and hooked-up with Videotron. This today from their customer service department:

Thank you for your interest in Vidéotron's products and services.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer all the television stations. Some stations have not yet acquired the rights to air in Canada or only offer their services locally.

Some stations are also only available in some Canadian provinces for different reasons. A television station can decide to only broadcast in areas where the demand is highest for the service or have restraints concerning the signal levels.

A cable service provider can decide to not offer a station that does not respond to the demands of its customers. It may also have restrictions on the space available on the bandwidth.

However, we have registered your interest for Setanta Sports.

We hope that this information has answered your questions. Do not hesitate to write us again for any further information you may need.

Vidéotron administrative services
    serviceclient@videotron.ca

18. ViLFC

ViLFC New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    spurs1961double

Got pretty much the same reply. It seems that they have a textbook reply which has to include the following (i guess):
    • The channel does not meet our client's demand (although i think it does).
    • Our broadband capacity does not let us have all the channels demanded by our customers.
    Seems they have no intention of getting it... If they don't do it, I may have to switch to Bell, although I bought my terminal only one year ago.... :(

19. inominate

inominate New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Sorry, I seem to have misunderstood the remit of this forum. Having recently joined and enjoyed the interaction between people on the "TV" thread, I thought it would be interesting to continue this discussion on a thread which would cover the Canadian view of the Premier League.

Obviously, having seen and read the actions and messages of the moderators of this forum, this is not possible here and I will have to search elsewhere for my football opinions to be aired. it's a shame, though, as I have been struck by the friendly, reasoned and interesting posts which have been made.

In closing I would like to express my disappointment at the dismissive and arrogant air which the mederators have chosen to adopt and would like to agree with the earlier comments of Frazzell and Spurs1961.

All the best to everybody.

20. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What's so hard to understand? This forum is about Cdn soccer: Cdn clubs or players. Not about EPL.

Check the German forum. Any threads on EPL? Just one - Germans abroad.

Check the US forums above. Any threads on EPL? Just those in Yanks abroad.

Go join the rest of the expats in the English forums above if you want to talk EPL teams only and not teams with Cdns on them. I support the mods and I have been posting here on Bigsoccer since the forum started.

21. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Re Ed: Amen and amen.

Re moderators: Poor old Gordon taking all the heat for my posts. :)

Re expats: Reread CanuckFan post above especially first sentence. Is it really that difficult to understand? EPL posts in EPL forum. Canadian posts in Canadian forum. Is there something there some of you newbies don't "get".

Seems pretty simple to me. If we're not protective of this, this will just turn into another of the thousand EPL sites. No way, Jose.

And if you think this is harsh talk apparently you don't know my history because I think I am being very reasonable here. Ol Joe Mac might have some anger management issues with this subject. :)

22. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    CanuckFan, I appreciate your comments, but having re-read Inominate's 'Post', I don't think that there is one word in argument over the decision and rules adopted by Moderators. Inominate's comments relate to the way that a non-Moderator this morning appeared to represent Big Soccer and with "dismissive" language used in his Post, inferred that this Thread was questionable under the terms of all Threads as well as denigrating the start-up of a Thread that did not contain Canadian content.

Those comments were somewhat dismissed by the official moderator in his polite, and respectful response. This is a valid Thread, and we are now aware that we need to ensure that its Posts adhere "mainly" to the "raison d'etre", as he put it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and you are a long-term contributor who is more aware of the rules. If you look again at Inominate's Post, there is nothing in either of his first two paragraphs which would disagree with your comments or those of the moderators - he just shows disappointment. His last paragraph simply expresses his annoyance at the way the 'message' was passed across to us. And that is echoed by many of us.

It's a dead issue, and we carry on. I'm sure that those of us who want to proceed will look for suitable alternatives.

23. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Maybe there is, Moaca. Being a former moderator and long term contributor seems to allow you to 'laud it' over us. For a month or more during hundreds of posts, and at least since I have been contributing to this Thread since September of last year, the posts have been mainly friendly and respectful. You're setting a new tone that hasn't existed before.

So "some of you newbies", as you so condescendingly refer to others who don't have your longevity, may not know all the rules. Maybe a little more polite education would go a long way. You represent Canadian soccer, so your morning post tells us. You're not exactly endearing yourself to making new converts with your latest post. Could you just leave it alone, please.

24. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    First of all, I never presented myself as a mod, you projected that. I'm just a member like you. As for the posts being around a month or so doesn't mean I personally agreed with them. I was hoping the mods would step in and say something about their focus which wasn't Canadian soccer.

And no, this group doesn't need "converts" who try to take the focus away from Canadian soccer to EPL et al and express disdain for Canadians playing overseas. BigSoccer has an EPL forum, it's there just waiting for you to post.

When it comes to Canadian soccer you're either with us or against us. I don't know if you've posted anything relevant to this forum re Canadian soccer. If you have no interest posting about the Canadian scene then I suggest you let the rest of us get on with it.

There are a lot of Canadian soccer haters and naysayers out there who love getting their digs in trying to tear down what some are trying to build (not saying that's anyone here recently (in particular) There are those of us who will fight that attitude quite vehemently,

25. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought this thread was about soccer on Canadian TV, whether that was EPL, La Liga or the Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto FC etc. Given the recent changes to the landscape with Setanta this was a place to figure out what was going on.

I just recently found this and it has been a great area to discuss the TV changes and what programing we are able to get. I for one think this is still a "live" issue as Setanta just launched and we are still unsure of scheduling and the like. I hope there are many more posts in the coming months regarding this and the eventual morphing of Setanta from a PPV station to a full fledged channel.

As for an EPL discussion, I like many others, see the benefits of a Canadian sub-forum. As this doesn't appear to be available or suitable to this site I would gladly follow others to some other thread to discuss those topics.