Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BlueForever

BlueForever New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Don't forget about us Chelsea fans!

2. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007

Well said. I cannot believe that this type of coverage is now available! The $15 fee is a remarkable bargain!

3. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Does anyone know when Setanta will be on Cogeco.:rolleyes:

4. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    early september (next time you can look back at responses to previous posts instead of asking the same question again, and again, and again ;))

5. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I saw an ad box overlay during The Score's broadcast that said The Score HD is available on Congeco (sp?) and Rogers. So I assume that no other cable carriers have picked it up yet.

I'm not sure I will watch The Score's broadcast much anyways. They repeatedly show scores from other matches. I'm not talking about their ticker - they did the "make the match smaller on the screen to show highlights from another game" thing, and I REALLY don't want to know other game scores while watching.

Cheers!

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I hear Spurs was offered the job of VP Public Relations for Setanta but turned it down, saying that if he took the job, how would he have the time to watch all the games?

7. spurs1961double

spurs1961double New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Taoism, you are right, and all last season I was paranoid about accessing any media outlets after a Spurs game was played (usually mid-week) before I could see the FSWC repeat at 8 pm the same day. The challenge we now have is that different channels are broadcasting different games, so the chances of getting through a secondary match unscathed isn't high.

Even if the various networks don't spoil our fun with announcing other results, the match commentators do the job for them. An example of this was the Manchester United vs Reading commentary. If anyone had avoided hearing the score of the Arsenal game to be broadcasted on a delayed basis in a short while (Setanta), you would have heard the commentator a few minutes before the final whistle mentioning the various point spreads after just one game. Even though he didn't mention the final score of the Arsenal game, his comments told you who won. Seems that if one wants to avoid knowing the final result of a delayed game, you have to not watch any television for the day and turn it on at precisely the moment of kick-off for your preferred game.

PS: Did you notice that I didn't mention the Arsenal score, or who won that game? Now, being a Spurs supporter, I could have p----d off our North London neighbours here royally! And believe me, they need being.....

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Not that I have any sympathy for Arsenal supporters, but the fact The Score repeatedly showed the result of their game vs. Fulham during the Man U - Reading fixture was an exercise in stupidity, knowing that Setanta was going to show Arsenal-Fulham at 2 pm. Did I say knowing? I bet the extra $205 (or 41 cents a day) that it will cost me to watch football this year, that nobody at The Score even new that their partner Setanta was showing the other match on tape delay.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Not to mention the fact they flash score updates of the other matches during the game. But maybe it is their way of telling us, "Get a life guys, how much football can you watch in one day?"

10. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Okay.. it's 2:00 pm on Sunday and if I must... if I really must... if I'm really forced to watch the Setanta programming for the next two hours, then I will.

11. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton
    I think that the answer that a lot of us may end up giving is that we really don't want or need a life with this much footy on TV.

12. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Oh dear, it's now 2:02 pm and the satellite signal just went down during a rain storm here in southern Ontario. Oh well, so sad... too bad.

13. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton
    Oh and for Shaw viewers, I know that they don't have the Score HD channel because they told me this in an e-mail a few weeks ago. I'm up to another telephone - e-mail campaign if anyone is interested. Look what happened the last time us footy supporters took action, although it kinda goes against the grain to do something that can be interpreted as supporting the Score after the recent EPL debacle. They treated us shabbily.

I'd also like to endorse Spur's comments about Setanta. It is the channel that I always wanted. I'm certain that the early bugs will get resolved.

I'm still concerned that they're taking our game away from the more casual viewer though, and this could have a long term impact on the development of future EPL supporters in Canada. One game on Sportsnet and one on the Score (allbeit with all the irritating Score bells and whistles) might be enough to keep the casual viewer involved in our game.

14. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Okay, I'll stop this thought... but I never thought I would hear myself say... "damn... the satellite feed on Setanta has just returned!"

15. Samsonite

Samsonite New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Gotta say I was greatly impressed by Setanta's coverage yesterday. I was over at me mum's (she has Shaw) and re-considered moving back in after seeing the upcoming schedule. Oh well, first thing tomorrow I'm getting on the horn with Shaw and having them over for an install as soon as possible. One question I have about Setanta. Will they be showing the England Euro Qualifiers and Friendlies? I had always understood that Setanta held the right to the England national games and then flogged them to Pay-Per View. In my opinion for $15 a month everything they hold the rights to should be aired...England nationals, Celtic and Ranger games included.

16. Persian Luis Figo

Persian Luis Figo New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Quick question for those who watched Nurnberg vs. Karlruhe (Bundesliga coverage on GOLTV) earlier today (11pm eastern - I was out)

Was the match commentated by GOLTV's own guys/commentators (Phil Schoen and others) or was the feed including the audio of the match commentator coming from Europe?

17. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Samsonite, I don't have answers to all of your questions. However, in answer to your question about England's international games, my understanding is that Setanta only has the rights to England's HOME games, and not their away games. I don't know whether this also applies to Euro qualifiers as well, as I have no knowledge, but I am aware that only England's home game rights are held by Setanta.

18. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    For those who are new to this Thread or who have not seen the Setanta schedule of LIVE football and rugby games, here is the web address for the Setanta (Canada) schedule for August/September/October/November.

Please remember this schedule does not include Delayed games, or Repeated games. Just LIVE games.

The revamped Setanta Sports web site featuring the Canadian schedule will be rolled out by late August (according to their president of North American operations).

http://130.94.23.190/SSCDN_live_schedule.htm

19. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton
    Hey Samsonite: I think that you'll find that although Setanta has England Euro qualifier rights, they are broadcast on a premium basis as PPV games or as games that are exclusive to the premium pub/bar feed. We won't get to enjoy them on the regular Setanta Sports Channel feed. They might be available for free to broadband subscribers. I believe that the same will apply to RWC coverage - if you want to watch all of the big games involving England, NZ etc. you'll have to go down to your local.

20. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton
    Hi dale4liverpool: I'm on a PC with a high speed enhanced dsl feed. I've had no significant problems with buffering. The odd time I did encounter some buffering problems I toggled with the setting selections that are available (they give you 4 alternate settings). I've noticed a lot of variability with picture quality- fairly average on all the archived games because they only give you the 300kbps option, pretty good with the live soccer at 450 kbps. Setanta is planning on improving its feed to 600 kbps at some point - I don't know when, which should make things better.

21. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    This forum - Soccer on Canadian TV - has been very successful, particularly over the past month, and will continue that way for the future as we grow with the various channels available showcasing soccer from around the world.

For English football fans and club supporters, a new Canadian ‘Thread ‘ has been created by leafdolfan called

Canadian 'English Football' Talk

where you can discuss any aspect of English football (Premier League, Championship, League One, League Two, England).

Switch between the two.

Should be fun!

22. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, the first weekend of the season was great to have so many games, but not the greatest result for us - Reading set up 10-11 at the back well. Worst of course was Rooney broke his foot again. Hopefully Tevez is ready for Pompey!

23. thefly

thefly Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Champions League

Not sure if the guide is correct, but on wednesday it has Arsenal v. Sparta Prague listed (qualifier). I know there are a bunch of EPL tape delayed games so this may simply be the US guide (as I believe they don't have the rights to gthe delayed games).

Hopefully it is shown simply for the fact that it is a good sign to getting further champions league games over and above those on TSN.

24. inominate

inominate New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    i thought we had started a pretty good thread about Canadian views of the premier League but it looks as though this has been "closed"

How does it work that a moderator can close a thread?

if we decide to post on something, surely it stays alive and if not, it withers away.

Sorry but this seems like somebody deciding who I can and cannot talk to.

Very disappounted with this turn of events.

25. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    There are a lot of new posters here lately (especially in these "English" threads) who don't seem to "get" the idea of this forum. We talk about Canadian teams and Canadian players (wherever they may be), extended talk of foreign teams without reference to a Canadian playing on it is tacitly verboten.

These forums were never started with the intent of Canadians or others talking about non Canadian related subjects. To reiterate what Ed said, I also invite you to continue your discussion here or in the million other places you can discuss EPL/CCC. There are only a handful of places where you can discuss the Canadian soccer scene and some of us will defend that quite staunchly, thank you very much.

This is the thread for discussion of Canadians playing in the UK.