Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Spurs,

As far as I am aware, I don't think Bell has added the ScoreHD to their line-up. I'll have a check on mine for ya though!

2. spurs1961double

spurs1961double New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    thanks niloc

3. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Good to see that Setanta showed the Wolves vs Watford game at 6:30 am today!

4. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Nope, don't see it sorry.

Looking at the net there are various rumours that Bell will be adding it soon, but no firm dates as to when. I gather there was a press release recently where they indicated that they would be adding a new HD sports channel soon. People speculate that will be The SoreHD....we will see!

5. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Oh, is it Sunday already? One day just rolls into the other when you don't move from the sofa...

6. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks again, niloc... oh well, its a smorgasbord of games anyway and Chelsea is about to kick-off, so I guess it's not that important. Enjoy the day!

7. dale4liverpool

dale4liverpool New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    hi guys, first time poster here. just wondering if anyone has ANY info about what's happening with setanta (SATAN-ta?) in quebec? seems we're in a bit of a black hole here and now i'm not only reduced to 2 matches a week (great for my wife, not so great for me...) but have to listen to my father in new brunswick (NEW BRUNSWICK!!!) describe the liverpool/villa game to me. any fact, figures, gossip?

8. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    I live in Ontario, but I emailed Videotron to urge them to carry Setanta in Quebec. What cable company do you have? Just keep emailing them! Ask others to do the same.

9. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Or if all else fails, and you really want the channel switch to one of the Satellite companies, both ExpressVu and Starchoice are carrying Setanta.

10. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    You mean we're expected to have a life as well...?

11. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    With all the complaining and rants in previous weeks about the cost of Setanta at $14.99, I just shake my head (accepting that a small portion of what we get now was included in other cable/satellite packages in previous years).

Money is difficult to come by, we all know that. But I can't quite understand why some people come onto Soccer Blogs and Forums (whom we assume are football fans and club supporters), pay $50, $60, $70 and upwards of $100 and more a month for an array of total garbage on the main networks, then sqwark at paying $15 for the one thing that they supposedly love, which includes every game that is shown in the BPL, plus a whole lot more. Go figure!

As mentioned in another 'Post', we have waited a long time for this kind of saturated coverage. Setanta will cost me $205.62 a year, including taxes. Less than 10 years ago we got one highlight show a week on TSN that didn't even show a full game. Prior to that it was just the FA Cup Final once a year on CBC.

So, the equation is: FSWC at $2 to $5 a month, or Setanta at $15 a month. Three times the value? Add a zero and we're getting close to the reality. As Shane O'Rourke said on the podcast interview (EPL Talk), if people want a $2 subscription, then what they will get is less games, and more delayed games. And that's what we had before - so, what's the point.

Hats off to Setanta for answering many of our emails over the past two weeks and for the service that is now provided. And perhaps give them some leeway over technical hitches, incorrect 'feeds' and programming errors. It was day one and this is week one.

There is no way I will be able to keep up with everything Setanta is offering. But I'm having one hell of a good time trying!

12. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Just one final comment to add: For the casual, non-addicted viewer of European and English football, there are sufficient games on non-Setanta channels to satisfy and maintain their curiosity and interest.

PS: And yes, I AM watching Chelsea on their usual stampede to slaughter the rest of the competition while inputting this 'post'...

13. Mackenzie

Mackenzie New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Yellowknife
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So quick question - did Canadian Setanta broadband users get the USA feed or the Canadian feed? I'm thinking of picking it up but wouldn't want to miss out on FSC locked in games.

14. I am a fan

I am a fan New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I agree with you 100%, I can remember when we use to get Soccer made in Gremany on the PBS channel, the only football on tv. Then BEV came with a ppv soccer channel, epl on the weekend, I think 3 games, $120 for the year. Now I will pay $15 gladly, if we keep getting this. I am just going to reorganize my like, so that I have nothing to do on the weekend , except watch setanta. OFF TO WHATCH THE GAME

15. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Man I hate that ticker tape thing on The Score while the match is on, it's so annoying. :mad:

16. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Beats me where The Score's HD channel is?! The BEV office is closed, and no indication on The Score's web site, yet James Sharman on The Footy Show, leading up to the United/Reading game, is promoting the HD service.

And yes, I am a fan, I remember the PPV package on Bell ExpressVu in the mid to late '90s. Even at that outrageous price, I was willing and pleased to pay it. And by the way, those games, almost 10 years ago, were brought to us by... Setanta!

17. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Niloc, two years ago (the last time The Score had the Sunday game), I designed a black strip of removable material that I attached to the bottom on my screen. Worked wonders!

18. BlueForever

BlueForever New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Totally agree, niloc22, and when they break in with a highlight of a match that was played at 7 this morning I just want to throttle them. The Footy Show is useless too! Aren't I cheery this morning...

19. dale4liverpool

dale4liverpool New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    for those of you who have already signed on with setanta BROADBAND or with one of the team site paytv (e.g. liverpooltv et al...), have you had any issues with buffering? picture quality?

i'm on a mac G5 and an 13" ibook. any suggestions on settings resets to improve things?

20. BlueForever

BlueForever New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Good idea, Spurs! Maybe you could start selling this invention to all us disgruntled viewers. Millions to be made...

21. I am a fan

I am a fan New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Thats it the score has got to go. 16 min into the game and they flash up the Arsenal score.Setanta is replaying the game later today. I would rather watch it taped delayed , than with all that ticker tape and commercial.:mad:

22. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    Agree, I am a fan. Happened of course on Setanta yesterday, immediately following the 10 am game - they told us the final results from all the delayed games for the rest of day. I've written to O'Rourke to see what can be done - so we'll see.

23. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    I agree, that sounds like a cracking idea....it'll be in place before next weeks L'Pool match! :)

24. spurs1961double

Jun 6, 2007
    If The Score doesn't smarten up, I'll be selling them to only a few hundred! (Where the heck is their HD channel?!)

25. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We'll I don't think anyone on here had a good start, spurs fans or red devils fans. Only the liverpool guys, oh well man utd will make up for it with the midweek game