Soccer, not football.

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Soccer Rocker USA, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Soccer Rocker USA

Dec 7, 2007
    I am a new member here and I want to compliment you on the great job you've done with this forum. But there's something that I find very confusing and annoying. Some members (mainly Europeans) use the word football to describe the sport of soccer. But to us Americans football is a completely different game. Considering that the name of the site is Big Soccer I assume that the site owners know what I'm talking about and share my perspective on the matter. So could we have a ruling to ensure that only the proper words are used? Thanks in advance.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Excellent point - should we red card anyone who uses the evil word?

3. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I write futbol (since I am in Argentina) does that confuse matters more?

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Subscribes

Oh and

Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football Football

5. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going to start calling my mum mom, I'm also thinking about refering to my backside as my fanny.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Don't do that over on BigFooty!

7. Soccer Rocker USA

Dec 7, 2007
    Is that how it's going to be? I make a suggestion and it gets ridiculed?

Surely I'm not the only one on this forum who finds to use of the word football to describe the sport of soccer annoying and confusing. Big Soccer - it's right there in the name - can easily take that confusion away by making a ruling on the proper use of the words.

Of course that doesn't mean that anyone should be red carded. The moderators could be instructed to simply edit the posts of people who use the word football to refer to the wrong sport. But I think that if you make it part of the terms of service most members will switch to using words properly without any fuss.

8. Soccer Rocker USA

Dec 7, 2007
    No, it doesn't. I'm talking about the use of the word football. Call it futbol, calcio or whatever. Just don't call it football because that's a different sport.

9. Soccer Rocker USA

Dec 7, 2007
    Fine, as long as you're referring to this:

[​IMG]

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I wouldn't say ridiculed, more like teased. :)

People here use the term pointy ball to reduce confusion.

11. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. Talk about having a complex.

And just because I feel like it - football football football (and not the pointyball referred to by my avatar).

12. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hahaha...We would all have carpel tunnel syndrome, and would never be able to get away from the computer... Classic post btw...:)

13. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Racist

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After you finish editing all the posts on BigSoccer, you should start going all around England, correcting anyone you come across who uses the term football. :D

"Soccer's coming home, it's coming home it's coming home, it's coming... Soccer's coming hooooooome..."

15. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    I think this is an excellent suggestion. Maybe we could add the word "football" to the auto-censor, that would certainly make the transition easier and would mean less work for the moderators.

DK - how about we start a poll so the majority can decide, I'm sure you'll get a resounding landslide in favour of this new ruling.

By the way, welcome to the site Soccer Rocker - I look forward to seeing many more of your posts in one of the forums I moderate. We have a special thread reserved for highlighting top quality posts like yours

16. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm a North American and i've used the word Soccer for majority of my life to describe the game...but at times i've said the word football. Football does make more sense to describe soccer, but most people refer to Football as North Amiercian Football and Football as Soccer. But i find it ironic when people insist on calling Soccer, Football....when they clearly signed up to this site being called BigSOCCER.

So, i agree with your statements!!

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once I got to this spelling of the word "favor" I realized I could ignore anything you had to say on the matter since you're obviously also a guy who uses foot - ah, I mean a guy who uses pointy ba - erm, I mean a guy who uses association foot - umm, a guy who uses the other, banned term for soccer all of the time. ;)

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Perhaps moderators could be instructed to edit stupid posts and make them smart. And maybe we could add an anti-idiot clause to the terms of service. Lord knows if they started handing out red cards and bans for imbecilic posting the quality of discussion on BigSoccer would improve dramatically!

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Errr.. but that's not what Soccer Rocker's statements are about. He's not suggesting that the word "soccer" be allowed. He's suggesting that the word "football" should be banned.

Big difference there. If you agree with his suggesting, I'm sure there's plenty of room for you on his idiotmobile.

20. Silvio_B

Silvio_B Red Card

Dec 8, 2007
    Espana
    :mad: gt out ov here, football is da name 4 the english language and the word evry1 bar american yanky peepes use to label the gr8 sport, Yurpeans shud knw best anywy we r d rool ov cool whn it cmz 2 footy and no one can mess wit us, mayb the sth americans, bt thy are cool and respct yurpean styl o thinkin, unlik yanks hu try to evry change ting. like whateva, ur dad neva inventd socca, dam sorry football.

I luv BigSoccer aswell, betta thn the crappy stuff on otha boards

21. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Did you type this on your phone?

22. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Still no excuse for 'Yurpeans'

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piss off you bloody wanker! If you had your way, you narcissistic bastard, nobody would ever come to one of my forums - it would be the *********** forum!

(insert comment about the love for Croatia :p)

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak American, damn it!

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I suggest you confine yourself to Yanks Abroad. Your kind of stupdity is often appreciated over there.