Soccer Mags

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Jun 28, 2005.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering if anyone could help. Not exactly rapids related but i respect the opinions of people here, or should i say i know who i can respect.

I really would like to subscribe to a soccer mag, but don't know what to choose. I would like it to be something comparable to Cycle Sport for cycling. Cycle Sport focuses a lot on english speaking individuals, so a lot of Lance (too much), the other yanks, and the Australians, when there is news about a brit they typically cover it too but there aren't many. They do focus much more on the other aspects like history and profiling racers from the past. Even had during the off season issues enitrely devoted to particular countries and the legends and up and coming stars of the country. It is a great publication although too much love of Lance.

So, what i am wondering, are there any mags published in the US or are a US specific version of a Euro mag that will focus on US stars in Europe, maybe some in MLS but still provide quality stories about the European game and characters.

I have been going to Barnes and Noble to buy soccer mags but the only one i keep seeing is Four-Four-Two. I like it. Much of it is funny, but it is so heavily oriented towards England that i don't want to subscribe to it.

Come on everybody what is out there, what do you subscribe to, what do you like. I want to make an informed decision. Also, if a mod wants to move this somewhere else fine, but i didn't know where to put it and still actually get responses who are respectable.

btw, if you are a cycling fan, i suggest you check out Cycle Sport, i don't know what i will do if or my roommate move and i lose his subscription.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the thread for you. https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166357

Striker Magazine just started in the fall/winter. It is published by the same guys who do Slam, the basketball mag. Striker looks and feels like a real, American sport magazine but it is about soccer. It covers MLS, Europe, South America.

I have had a subscription to Soccer America and IMO it gets too into the national team and woman's game. 90 minutes is more geared towards soccer/pop culture but it is only American players. Striker has anyone and everyone. The photography is great. I highly recomend Striker to every soccer fan. The subscription is cheap but the mag is only coming out 4 times this year, I think. Next year they are supposed to increase the number of issues. This past issue has an interview with Arsenal's Henry.

The editor posts in that thread I put above. Striker is also cool because you can find it in a lot of places soccer mags have never been seen, like the Grocery store and Walmart. Check it out, highly recommended.

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing me there.

I did a search for mags but only in the USA forums so i didn't come up with this. The lack of issues is my problem with Striker, but perhaps it will become what i am looking for.

Still think it would be cool to find out what other Rapids fans think.

Saw on the 90:00 website that the current issue i believe is supposed to have interviews with Pablo and Cannon, anybody have these, anything juicy in them?

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "interviews with Pablo and Cannon"

Very short but they're in there. (Maybe just read the interviews at the bookstore if that is all that interests you ...) Soccer America, 90:00, World Soccer, 4-4-2, all can usually be found if you look. I can back what was said above about Striker and it probably fits what you described about cycling magazines pretty well but only 4 issues a year is not enough to keep really current (but that's what the 'net is for). And I am hesitant to subscribe to something that is so new that it might or might not be around next issue. My ranking would be 4-4-2, 90:00, WS, SA, with Striker (despite not liking the too position specific title) somewhere near the top 2 or 3 if they can get out at least 6 issues a year and keep the quality up to at least where they have started. Also be sure to watch for the new Rapids specific 8-0-2 in at least local book and magazine shops. There is an on-line American parody of 4-4-2 with something like 6-3-1 as a title but I don't remember for sure. ;>)

5. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Since it is a brand new magazine, it remains to be seen if it will last out a year, but I have a subscription to Striker, (haven't received it yet), but I bought the first two, one at Newsland, the other at King Soopers, believe it or not. In my opinion, the first two have been excellent, probably the best soccer mag I have read that might appeal to those outside of Europe. It has articles about soccer all around the world, but with an American feel. I really like it!!!! :)

6. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't their premier issue the one with the cover story about how Donovan is about to make it big in Germany? I feel bad for them. They had probably just started the presses when he was boarding his flight back to Cali!

And as someone who has a bit of a reputation for caring about good spelling and grammar, I'd just like to go public and say KUDOS!! to Dom. FC for nailing the homophones in "Very short but they're in there."

:D :D :D

7. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    There were two number ones, one with Ronaldinho and one with Freddy Adu. the second magazine had Thierry Henry on the cover. You are right, Chili, the first one had an article about Landon on the eve of his move to Germany. Unfortunately, they didn't know he was just going there to look for a good buy on wienerschnitzel, and then coming right back. Interestingly, they had a contact who was good friends with Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs who just happens to be best friends with Thierry Henry. That's how they happened to get the cover story with Henry. All in all, I really like the magazine. :)

8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "... KUDOS!! to Dom. FC for nailing the homophones in "Very short but they're in there.""

And I'm not even homophonic.

9. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO
    i'm a 4-4-2 guy. Great stories and shiznit.

10. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I've had subscriptions to Soccer America, and 90:minutes and fell Striker the best American soccer magazine on the market right now. The writing and content seem well informed and carry a good sense of humor. The first time I saw Striker I thought it was a euro publication, due to it's well designed layout and thickness. Striker also does a great job on giving an overview on the world of soccer, without loosing focus on America.

I've found that Soccer America has good content, but lacks in design. 90:00 is getting better each issue, yet still lacks depth on articles.

I would also like to see better efforts on coverage of the USOC , USL/ PDL & reserve in any of these magazines. The Menace would make for a great story right now. Or "How does the MLS reserve affect USL?" might also qualify for a half page.

11. adambauer

adambauer New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Johnstown
    Striker magazine ROCKS!!

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The new Fall issue of "Striker" is out and it has a one page thing (not enough to call an article -- mostly picture) on Borchers. Irony alert: It mentions that he never misses a match.

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What page? I missed that somehow.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "What page? I missed that somehow."

32; Title "Denver Nugget" Petke is is in the background of the picture vs. Crew.

15. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO
    Hey Bonji you are also in the new striker Mag (Unlesss there are two Bonji's on this site). Go to page 34 and look at the bottom at the little article called "Heard on the boards" your name is in it.

16. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So did "Striker" fold up their nearly new tent or what? The issue from the fall was on the rack until well past Christmas - now nothing. Anyone seen a new one?

17. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I heard that Striker is dead...... I've been looking for it too with no luck. I guess the issues weren't exactly flying off the racks at places like King Soopers and Wal-Mart.

Back to mail ordering 90 Minutes I guess.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striker is dead. I was a subscriber...was being the key word. They got off to a good start and no one knows why they died.

19. DrGuinness

DrGuinness Home & Abroad

Apr 8, 2005
    Greeley, CO
    And if you try and subscribe:

[​IMG]

Weeping. Weeping.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If anyone is really 'Jonesing' for some Striker I think I have a complete set of back issues (all three?) that I would trade straight up for as little as a game-worn Joe Cannon Adidas 'keepers jersey. I'll even pay postage!

21. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    They did a story on Striker recently on Fox Soccer USA too.... Must have been filmed quite a while ago.

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    This would explain why I paid for a subscription - and then it never came. :eek:

23. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    I got a subscription for Christmas.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there was a thread where the Striker editor in chief would come and post, answer questions. He hasn't come round since we all got pissy about the thing shutting down.