Soccer is the most exciting sport ...

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by NaMusa75, Jan 4, 2006.

1. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
  2. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    Ah shush. You probably would take a dim view then of the Institute for Football Research in England's Leicester University. But a propos the findings, they are right. The capability for upsets is what makes soccer so engrossing to follow, or did until Abramovich came along. The Premiership is so predictable now it is getting boring for those of us who remember differently. I don't get what Chel$ki fans get from paying $80 to see uncompetitive games every time.

3. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    I have no problems with such institutions so long as they are not publicly funded ...

4. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    Alright, fess up, which one of you BigSoccer members was the head of this study. Come on, it was done in the U.S. and says something in a positive light about Soccer. We know it wasn't done by an American Football fan, who was it?

5. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/esporte/ult92u97058.shtml

It made the news in Brazil too. But the article says Americans still think soccer is emotionless.
    If you want to translate the article (which basicaly is the same of the one the thread started posted, along with a few comments on American soccer) use babelfish.

6. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    This is the effect the last paragraph in the report was referring to which gave baseball the chance to overtake soccer.
    Actually, although we're seeing the Abramovich effect now with Chelsea, the ten year time mentioned in the report is due to the formation of the premiership and giving clubs all the money from their home games instead of all gates being shared fifty/fifty.

7. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    It's no hockey. Besides the NHL has the best club trophy in professional sports.

8. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    Baseball Is Catching Up!?!?!?!?!?!?

9. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    They talked about this show on the Tucker Carlson show on MSNBC tonight. They brought it up on the segment where they bring in Max Killerman to argue points back and forth; well turns out both sides totally ripped the issue with no person defending the study and on top of that they used the time to totally rip into soccer. Of course ignorant statements were constantly made, with no attempt at facts. I'll probably never watch the show again, I"m debating wether it's even worth my time to write them an email about it.

10. Porteghal

Porteghal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Greg Ferguson the host of late night on CBS in the US gave it up for soccer a.k.a. football on his show last night. I was loving it. Americans just need to get educated about soccer cuz the problem is they havent seen good soccer games and they dont know how fast and exciting it is cuz the camera has the whole field.

Here is how to solve the problem;
    If they put multiple cameras all over the field and they have a control room who switches back and forth to the camera closest to the players to catch the action, THEN the americans would see the intensity of the game and they would watch it. I mean i admit if you're not a fan and the game is not going good then it gets boring but not if the camera catches up close action of the players with good commentators.

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this could help , I've heard a lot about how the Bundesliga uses clever camera angles to make the game seem faster and more appealing to fans..

12. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I've been watching youth soccer for about 12 years now. Until the last World Cup, my experience was pretty much on the girls/women's side with an oocasional MLS game thrown in. Certainly, I was very much caught up with what the US Women's team was doing to promote soccer in this country, but I also felt soccer was soccer no matter who played it. Lots of people were telling me that wasn't the case at all, so when the men's WC came around, I decided I had to watch this level to see what they were talking about. It took exactly one game for me to say to myself "Oh wow. Now I get it!" I'm not sure that the general American public, with absolutely no soccer background will get it this time around no matter what angle the TV cameras, but at least they won't have to get up before the sun in order to watch it. It will be interesting to see if more Americans catch the passion I have developed thanks to the last World Cup.