soccer in the dirty south

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by halfnelson31, Jul 24, 2002.

1. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    Re: No MLS in Atlanta, please.

How many other towns have their team in the playoffs every year for more than a decade, and only once are successful. The Braves are a constant dissapointment and with management constantly cutting the payroll, people have really had enough

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, dude. I can't believe you brought a post back that has been dead for 3 years. That was enough to make me want to post for the first time in a while. Update, though, as we all know, the Silverbacks park is scheduled to open in time for the next USL season. It appears Atlanta will have to take the grass roots approach to MLS.

3. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    Either take the grass roots approach or have Ted Turner or Arthur Blanc step up

4. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u in wood stock thats no where near atlanta so what u know bout memorila staduim and better the fact u dont know atlanta. morris browns herdon satduim is a legit site for MLS. already fifa had several international matches up there. that commoent must be from from dumb ignorant hiding behind the confederate flag up there in WOODSTOCK.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spaghetti junction in within town arond where doraville and chamblee iswhere 285 and i- 85 meet. yes alot of soccer fans there but not a good locale....

6. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I now live in Buckhead, d0ucheb@g, I just haven't changed my profile. I never criticized Herndon (or herdon, as you call it), and think it would be a good temporary home if there was ever an MLS team here. And what international matches has FIFA hosted there? Maybe 1 or 2 women's team games. As for "memorila stadium", I have been to many Silverbacks games there, so I know it ain't exactly prime real estate.

Although, I have to give you credit for busting out the Confederate flag joke...that clearly shows that you aren't some ignorant moron from East Point now, does it? Spent alot of time in Woodstock?

7. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    Last time I was in Woodstock I didn't remember seeing to many confederate flags, just a lot of middle class suburban homes which I would hardly say rednecks live in.

Anyways, Atlanta could easily support an MLS team as long as they built a stadium in a nice area in Northern Atlanta.The key is the stadium, a lot of families would rather not have to drive through downtown everytime they want to see a professional sports game, if they were to build a stadium around where GA400 and I285 hook up, Atlanta could very well support a MLS team.

8. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think I would get too upset over comments from someone that misspelled stadium twice, memorial, herndon and comment. Not sure who is ignorant here.

On a completely different note. I read over the weekend, that Georgia State is interested in adding football at a division 1-AA level. Might be an interesting partnership for a potential MLS stadium. I'm not sure where GSU would play football games.

9. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    I assume that they would play their games downtown, but I don't know where, that could turn out an interesting partnership, but then comes the difficult task of finding an owner

10. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for GSU bout time they actually can have a real respect in football crazy georgia. herndon can be a nice spot for them since morris brown dont want to field a football team.

11. soccrplayr21

soccrplayr21 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    first of all MLS is only accepting expansion teams that are building or will build a soccer-specific stadium. they will no longer accept teams sharing their stadium with football teams or anything like that. they are trying their hardest to get all of the current teams out of football stadiums, so why would they put an expansion team in atlanta and let them share a stadium with a college football team? anyway, i know atlanta has many soccer players and fans, but how come they can't get a WCQ game or even a friendly? seems to me that birmingham acutally has a better chance of getting a look for an MLS team than atlanta because of their presence in getting friendly's and WCQ's.

12. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They want decent sized stadiums for friendlies and qualifiers. Where would you play it?

The only place that would work (and I think be an overwhelming success) is Bobby Dodd, but Tech seems reluctant to welcome soccer back after their tenuous relationship with the Beat. Turner is unlikely, and the Dome is not configured properly. Herndon, IMO, simply is not big enough for a Men's full international, at least not one in Atlanta.

It still cracks me up that most people are oblivious to the fact that a substantial number of fans made the short 2 hour trip to B-Ham from Atlanta (among other places...like Honduras) for the WCQ. But you're right, B-Ham is better...following that logic, we should permanently tear up the hedges at Sanford Stadium in Athens because it hosted record crowds for Olympic soccer back in 1996.

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    State would be better off working out a deal with the Falcons similar to what Tulane has (or had) with the Saints. When I was living there, high school games were played in the Superdome on Friday, Tulane played on Saturday, and the Saints played on Sunday. I think State's club team played either at Adams Stadium, Grady, or Panthersville. There's really no place in town to put another stadium, at least not that I am aware of, so with the crowd they'd probably get to begin with, they'd be better off either at Grady, or working out a deal to play at the Dome. Or, they could play at that craphole we affectionately call DeKalb Memorial. Nah. :D

14. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Herndon would be the best. 15K or so is a good size for I-AA, and it's not too far from State's campus. I would bet they could get a good crowd playing Ga. Southern in the Dome, though.

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yeah, that might work, but I wonder how many hoops they'd have to jump through in order to pull it off. Of course, nobody's using it, and I'm sure Grady has a full slate of games both Friday night and Saturdays. I just think Grady looks cool, and I kinda wish the 'Backs would play there. But then again, there's no parking around there to speak of. Herndon probably is the best option, besides the Dome. I don't know what kind of attendance Tulane got/gets at the Superdome.