Soccer in HD

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SankaCofie, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I got to watch a soccer game on HDNet this past weekend... the less than thrilling matchup between the Galaxy and Crew.

but i didn't realize until I saw it in high definition just how beautiful the HDC is.
    since i'm a sad mother********er who didn't get tickets at least I can see the games in all their hotness on HD.

i'm going to buy a spiffy HD dvdrecorder and TiVo and that made me wonder if anyone else was planning on making some big World Cup related expenses this summer (obviously... you folks who are going need not add to the discussion as the cost of tickets and airfare and extended stay hotels and whatnot are all going to be high).

2. JugglinNCWest7

JugglinNCWest7 New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Bought a system for X-mas for exactly this purpose :D 56 inch HDTV with 60 hr HD DVR recording capabilities and an HD box... Then tix to 5 games... This summer might just be great... :D

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I assume you are now residing in a cardboard box ;)

4. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn you Americans and Europeans with your inexpensive TVs :(

Just let us take the Cup and it will all be fair.

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    I have a 48 Inch HD Toshiba...with ALL HD Channels and will watch all 64 games in HD. I also have a Vip622 HD DVR from DISH so I can record all the games in 100% HD.

The 48 inch TV is the same from 2002 WC but back then I had to watch everything in CRAPPY SD....cant wait till JUNE!

6. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    and I heard today that the ChampionsLeague final will be in HiDef... so thats another excuse to go buy one.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pioneer Elite 53 inch here (best projection TV ever). I am going to have it calibrated before the World Cup starts so I can enjoy it to the max :D

I am planning on recording some games on DVD. I wish I could record it on HD-DVD, but I doubt those recorders will be cheap in 1 month or so. Regular DVD will have to do.

Another thing that really pissed me is that some games will be on ESPN2-HD. And if you don't have DirecTV, you are screwed. My cable doesn't carry it. And I believe one of Brazil's games will be on ESPN2-HD. Arrrrrgh. Can't win them all ... yet !

8. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    thank you for bringing that to my attention. i'll be calling my cable provider now. :D

9. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Count me in as one of the suckers. It is not an inexpensive start-up, and can be somewhat confusing in choosing equipment and providers.

I'm aware there are smarter and cheaper ways of getting wall-to-wall football coverage via internet streaming and the like, but after working all day I just want to turn on the tv and get my programming. If you are like me, maybe my experience in putting together my set-up might prove useful.

I took advantage of available 2006 SuperBowl financing plans to get a 60" Sony SXRD (0% financing until Jan 2009). Not sure if that plan is still available, but ask for it. Maybe the best set I've ever owned. In addition to stellar picture, has 7 component inputs to accomodate all your peripheral devices. At my firm I work with some pretty anal technical people...I took comfort that 5 guys bought the same set independently.

I was already subscribed to DishNetwork with a Top 180 + Latino pack + Globo which gave me all relevant (to me) soccer programming avalaible in USA. This package provides soccer from all the available Spanish language stations, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes (comprehensive UEFA CL), GOL TV (La Liga, Serie A), Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Espanol (slightly different programming than FSC, including comprehensive Libertadores and live Argentine league), and Globo (Brasileiro). DishNetwork doesn't yet carry Setanta; so if you want Setanta instead of ESPN Deportes you should go with DirectTV.

When I added the HD programming it came along with ESPN2 HD (saw the Villareal x Arsenal on HD) and WorldSport HD (which shows the relevant La Liga games that Gol TV might occasionally miss..between the two can catch probably 90% of Real and Barca La Liga fixtures).

The satellite services charge an additional $5/month fee for local channels, which include regular network programming (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC). I bought an indoor antenna (no climbing roofs for me) for around $70 at Best Buy that captures all of those locals in HD, thus bypassing the Dish fee. Through a simple coaxial connection to the Dish receiver the network channels get integrated into the DVR/TIVO device (though you do lose some functionality on scheduling).

DVR/TIVO has changed the way I view TV. With it, never miss a match that I want to see...ever. The stop action pausing comes in handy as well. Well worth it.

What they say about HD is correct. On that size screen, you can see individual blades of grass on a close up of fallen player or lining-up a freekick. It really is amazing.

Having said that, it was definitely a World Cup related upgrade because HD content still isn't there in my opinion.

If anyone else feels inclined to get DishNetwork HD for WC time, keep in mind that they are scheduling people with 3 week delay. Also, the upfront fee is $299 for the Vip622 HD receiver with DVR controlling two TV sets (I believe it is a more respectable $50 for just the HD receiver controlling one TV set without DVR). I unsuccessfully tried to get them to waive the fee based on my customer history. Though I failed, I'd suggest that you try...it all depends on who you catch, and how patient you are.

If anyone has specific question feel free to PM.

10. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i'm mostly concerned with ESPN2 in HD for the world cup... although I wouldn't mind picking up ESPNDeportes and GOLtv to round out my soccer coverage... i've noticed they carry alot of latin games that i'd like to watch.

its upsetting that I only get to see one or two MLS games per week and they are never replayed... I could use with watching the Chivas - Galaxy match again.

11. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States