Soccer in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cms79, Jan 4, 2006.

1. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok, now that i got your attention. I know what people in the states think of soccer. What do people in Canada think of it? Is it considered second to Hockey in close competition with Basketball, or is it more like Hockey, Basketball, Soccer?

2. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd say:
    Hockey (nothing is even close...)
    Football (both American and the Canadian version)
    Basketball & Baseball (Not that great since polarized in the Toronto region)
    Soccer (Sadly, but I still have hopes it will change in times)

The problem is a classic one.

No League = No exposure = No major interest = No League = No exposure... :(

Hopefully, before I die maybe it will climb to 3rd place.

I'm sure others will wax on the problematics of making the game popular...

3. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Do you mean watching? Or playing?

And if you are asking where soccer fits into the sports landscape from a spectator perspective, you have to clarify whether you mean watching the Lynx, or watching the EPL on Saturday morning.

Playing...Soccer probably rates somewhere around 3rd/4th in popularity. The sheer numbers are greater than hockey (although the soccer numbers are heavily weighted to the very young--if you just looked at adults, I'm sure soccer would still fall far below hockey (especially if you included unofficial "beer league" hockey numbers). Still, though, the sport is growing from a participation level and likely will for some time to come.

For the record, I'd probably rank hockey, curling and maybe basketball above soccer in terms of participation popularity.

Watching...

It has a long way to go. Sportsnet draws about 200k for its Saturday morning EPL broadcasts. That's comparable to NBA basketball, but a little lower than Blue Jays baseball broadcasts on the same channel. The NHL gets about 5-600k/broadcast.

That said, I do sense a greater following amongst younger people that have grown up around the game. My brother-in-law, for example, has become a big fan of the EPL over the past few years--largely because of the amount of games available on Sportsnet. He's 24 (and despite his unfathomable attraction to Man United, a pretty hip guy).

Domestic soccer has (small) pockets of support, most notably in Vancouver and Montreal. Other than that...a couple hundred people turning out to watch a high level game would be a good crowd. There is no TV presence at all.

4. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I think the answer is even more complex than that, because nowadays every couple of summers soccer is the most popular sport in Canada (particularly in its urban areas) after hockey. Its just that it is international soccer, rather than the Canadian brand. But you have to take that into account when talking about the popularity of the sport in general.

I am somewhat skeptical that basketball has a higher participation rate than soccer, incidentally. As for curling, its a possibility, but if you are going to include sports that aren't necessarily played by athletes you might as well put golf ahead of hockey & soccer on the participation level.

I would rate basketball below baseball & gridiron football in terms of the level of popularity as a spectator sport.

It will be interesting to see how much changes (or is perceived to change) if MLS in Toronto is a hit.

5. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    No doubt. Although I would suggest that the World Cup transcends sports now--non-sports fans watch because it is the thing to do. Hell, my better-half watches.

Having lived in Toronto (which, I believe you do--the GTA anyway) I understand where you are coming from in regards to the Euros. However, having lived outside of Toronto too, I can attest that its following is not nearly as big outside of the urban areas.

To me, the popularity of club football is a better barometer to the sport's true popularity, which is why I chose to focus on it. That said, I think many non-Canadians would be surprised to see how closely the World Cup is followed in Canada--especially Toronto (a GREAT city to watch it in BTW--30 "home" teams).

In regards to basketball...in terms of pure numbers soccer would be higher. However, it's my opinion that there is a great deal more Canadian teens playing competitive basketball. That said, my own bias could be sneaking into things--I played competitive basketball (and I can still ball a little despite my advancing waistline and regressing hairline thank you very much).

In regards to golf. Good point.

In regards to curling. I, having covered the sport as a journalist, have a great deal of respect for it. However, I have long ago stopped trying to convince others of its merits (and athletic requirements). I just happen to think that a sport that tapes into the brain and the body is a worthwhile sport to follow. To each their own though...

Without a doubt.

I would suggest that gridiron football is the second most popular spectator sport in Canada--especially in Quebec. The NFL gets big numbers every week and the CFL is getting stronger and stronger.

Even CIS (college) football is growing. Over 300k watched TSN's broadcast of the Vanier Cup (the national championship game, which was won by my Alma Mater BTW :) ). Laval draws close to 20k during regular season games--unheard of in CIS football until recent years.

Gridiron football is very popular in Canada.

Yes, it will.

Let's hope it is a success because if it isn't I'm not sure what other options Canadian soccer has.

6. BeckhamFan

BeckhamFan New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Vancouver
    Canadas pretty much really big into soccer ...not as much as hockey though:p

7. Lurchador

Lurchador New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    From what I read/heard all numbers included, soccer has more amateur participation that hockey

8. ambition

ambition New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    canadians participate more in soccer than in hockey. especially youth. first off a soccer team has 18 players, in basketball and hockey there arent as much as soccer. plus soccer has been growing in popularity over the last probably 5 years in canada. we do not have major investors to support teams to bring big name players like in the 70's when Pele, beckembauer, cruiyff all came to america to promote soccer and turn outs of 20 000 fans came to watch games. will it ever happen? maybe. when will it happen? not very soon! and i have heard toronto is to make a team to compete in the MLS in 2007.

9. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The "more people play soccer than hockey" line the CSA likes to throw around is a red herring.

Yes, literally, more kids play soccer, but those numbers are inflated by massive amounts of 6-year-old girls chasing butterflies on a pitch six times each summer. House league soccer--usually consisting of once week games, co-ed teams, 38-year-old-mothers-of-three coaching, and little no practice time is very popular. And it greatly inflates the numbers.

More kids play competitive hockey. Many more.