Soccer in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jun 11, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appologize for the lack of crispness and quality(mobile phone) but here are Mostly Nato and international Troops with some US troops playing a weekly soccer pick up games on a Base here in Afghanistan

[​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7171918&l=02fb410667&id=778275117

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7171919&l=18f13dba92&id=778275117

Soccer is also available somewhat on tv here too, the contractor shows SuperSport channel from South Africa, and highlights from BBC or sky news along with alil MLS from AFN every now and then.

2. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is soccer the national sport in afghanistan? I know their team sucked ass in the world cup qualifiying in 2008 didnt they?

Its interesting afghanistan is between iran (#1 sport is soccer) and pakistan (no soccer whatsoever), so i guess they're siding with iran?

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure I heard there is a womens team, I dont know?/

4. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    The National sport of Afghanistan is Buzkashi (Goat Polling) which is a traditional sport in which the horsemen compete to throw a body of an already killed goat in a circle. However, soccer is more popular. Recently, after the Cricket National Team appeared to be very strong in the World Cup Qualifier (ranked 5th, and could not be part of the 4 qualified teams), cricket is also getting popular.
    Afghanistan's National Football Team lost to Syria 3-0 and 2-1 in the World Cup Qualifier. However, it has some wins and draws against teams like Kyrgyzstan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. Nearly, half of team is made of the Afghan-Germans who are living in Germany, but come to play for Afghanistan.
    Currently, most of the provinces have their own leagues. For instance, Kabul Premier League, Herat Premier League, Kandahar Premier League, Mazar Premier League, and even Helmand League. However, due to unrest there is not a proper national league, and the top two or three teams from each province participate in a two week tournament to introduce the top 3 teams in the country.
    Recently, Ghazi Stadium in Kabul (with over 10, 000 capcity) is renovated according to internatioanal standards, and we hope to have the Natioanl League and other national teams to play on our soil.

5. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the info stimory

6. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United