soccer goal kills six-year old

Discussion in 'Referee' started by monop_poly, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
  2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This happened at a practice, but it's a good reminder for checking the nets - particularly in the younger age brackets.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before last night's high school game I asked that the nets be anchored. The coach grumbled that in 25 years of coaching and watching soccer he had never seen a net come over. My response was to have the nets anchored so that he didn't have to see his first.

4. Tame Lion

Tame Lion New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Southern California
    I have read that about 10-20 people die this way each year -- it is not a rare event.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: soccer goal kills six-year old

I'd be interested in where you saw that stat. I was under the impression that a death occured every couple years. Are you sure that you didn't read an injury stat?

Regardless. One death is too many for this easily preventable tragedy.

6. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Re: Re: soccer goal kills six-year old

At a tournment I attended last fall I watched a similar goal get blown over and come crashing down 2 feet behind the 10 year-old goal keeper. Very scary! Needless to say, the remainder of the game was played out with 5 parents standing on the back of the goal to keep it upright ... of course one might ask why the referee in that case a) did not check the goals before the game started and b) why he continued to play the game after it fell over when the goal was patently in an unsafe condition :(

7. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was checking the nets at a recent men's college game. It was storming and we were delayed getting started due to lightning, so there was plenty of wind in the area. When I checked the nets, I noticed that one end didn't have the goal anchored. I walked up to goal post and gave it a decent push but not real hard. It very nearly toppled over.

I went back to the coach and said you have to anchor that goal. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that it wouldn't come over. I told him I had nearly pushed it over with a fairly easy push and we had a chance of serious wind tonight and that I wanted it anchored.

They've got about a half dozen guys running around there getting everything ready for the game. Why can't they have someone make sure the facilities are prepared properly? I also had to move the goal because it wasn't in the center of the field -- of by almost 2 yards and the hash marks were painted wrong -- 10 yards from the touch line instead of 11. It just makes you wonder about some of these programs.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never even thought of this occuring; and I had the same reaction last week when a referee pointed out that we did not have a second stake holding down the goal.

I guess that is how we learn in life, from the tragedies.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from high school physics. How many times do people drive at 60mph+ 2 inches from my back bumper? Why are these people not in mental homes? Oh wait...they're in management.

10. love to play

love to play New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Was doing a high school game a few weeks ago. Told the coach we would not start the game until the goals were properly anchored. He told me I had to talk to his AD. So, I walked over and talked to the AD. He said he had played that way all year. Asked me "if I was better than everyone else that had come out to his school." Then he wanted to know how long I had been reffing. I told him long enough to know that goals that were not anchored are unsafe. Anyway, long story short he finally anchored them after my assignor called the head of the athletics for the state.
    I was ready to leave. They guy actually told me to go on and leave and that he would play the Varsity anyway. Some peeople will just never learn.

11. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    As a practicle aside, tire irons when hammered in, make excellent anchors. Tell the coaches to ask their parents to get what they have from their trucks. I now carry a good hammer and at least one tire iron in my truck. Takes very little time. By the way, would have been tempting to boot the AD, what a pinhead.

12. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think they're trying to draft.

13. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got this in an e-mail today. my assignor sent it to all of us

14. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's very interesting...

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good reminder, and the right place to post this. I'll be remembering to do this at my next match, sad to say this is something I have neglected in the past.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is your duty.

At a recent local district select match my son asked the coach to anchor the net. The coach didn't and my son let them play. :( (Yes, there was a little talk on the ride home. He wants his license really soon so that he doesn't have to be a captive audience.)

Said son asked me to cover the second match (too many hours in front of the video games this summer for the lad ;) ) so I asked the coach to anchor the nets. He said he didn't have anything with which to do it. When I told him there would be no game he found something - heavy wooden trash barrel holders, the same things we used on the field last year when I refused to let them play with unanchored goals.

The only way to stop some of these accidents is for the referee to do his/her duty and refuse to do matches. What happens when the referee is not there is out of our control, but we must do our part.

17. Stan

Stan New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    PA
    Re: it happens...

I did a women's game this spring on a HS field. I had the teams place equipment bags on the backs of the goal frames, because the goals were otherwise unanchored. About halfway through the game, a gust blew over a goal that was not in use, but was sitting behind one of the bench areas. I thought it was going to roll right on to the field! If it had not become tangled with another goal, it might have hit the spectators.
    It was windy, but not all that windy.

18. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Don't confine your inspection to the stability of the goalposts, check the entire structure. Last fall I saw:
    - a stanchion (the support at the back going from the ground up to the cross bar) hanging loose at an angle that would have speared a player running into the goal. Coaches didn't see why we couldn't play.
    - goal improperly repaired with bolts, bolt protruding one inch beyond goal post such that it could have caused a serious injury at head height to a player colliding with the post.

The most chilling factor is generally the attitude of coaches who claim that games have been played there all season.

19. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember where I read and/or heard it, but an innovative way to anchor the goals was to have two parents from each team stand on the back. Of course, that would get very tedious, so if it comes up, I tell them they're free to hire replacements for the second half, provided the nets remain stood upon.

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please do not ever use parents as counterweights on goals. The parents are inherently unstable as it is. ;)

Seriously, using parents standing on the goals is not an acceptable solution.

"Innovative" solutions include getting parents to go to the trunk of their cars to get the spare tire, placing said tires along the back bar or side strut. I can pretty much guarentee you that there will not be a second occurence. :)

Our local 6v6 goals are mostly 1-1/4 inch pipe with a variety of connecting braces and hinges. If improperly installed, one of the hinges allows the open end of the pipe to be exposed at the base of the goal post. That would leave a mark. :(

When confronted with the potential for no game, one parent "remembered" that he had a tool kit in his truck and 60 seconds with a socket wrench had it ready for play. He went around and fixed all the nets on four fields after that.

21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    A while back, I was out to assess (well, do a development & guidance observation) on a young referee, who did not check to see whether the goals were anchored. Lots of play at one end, bored goalkeeper at the other end jumps up and grabs the crossbar. Goal comes over with a WHUMP! and keeper is trapped in the net like a fish. No injury, but a very shaken kid. I contacted the Park District and they were out immediately to permanently anchor the goal. Something about legal liability... :rolleyes: So when I'm asked, yes, I have seen a goal come over in a game, and no, coach, we're not starting the game until the goal is anchored.

22. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see it, but we did have one kid maimed with a soccer goal where I regularly ref. It broke his back.

The general manager of our complex is usually very good about either ensuring the goals are staked, or getting the equipment to us to do so. We have several fields that are marked several different ways. Small fields across larger ones and the like. That requires alot of moving of the different sized goals. That makes it even more important to check before each game. I'll usually check myself when I arrive at the field, and have the AR's check again after the coin toss and before they take their positions for kick-off, just to get them in the habit. I have had occasions where the goals will be staked when I arrived, but the stakes had mysteously disappeared when the AR checked. Obviously, someone from another field felt the safety of their players was more important than the safety of the ones on this field.

23. Stan

Stan New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    PA
    Re: wind-blown goal

The point I was trying to make above is that the goals on the field being used in your game may not be the only ones causing a risk. The goal that blew over in the game I was doing was one of several spare goals placed off to the side of the field. I didn't pay much attention to it until it started to roll towards the players bench area. Fortunately it got tangled in another spare goal before it made it any further, but it was an eye-opener.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: wind-blown goal

My son was in net once when a gust of wind picked the net up and blew it away like a kite, landing about 20 yards back of the goal.