'Soccer Fever - A Year with the San Jose Earthquakes'

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The previous threads on this subject were lost due to the latest server crash and the latest server restoration, respectively, so I'll start it up again...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I received my copy of the book through Amazon.com last week. It's a used former-library copy, so the dust-cover jacket and the outside hardcover are a bit worn on the edges and the inside of the hardcover front reveals that the book has been checked out repeatedly between 1977-1981 (before many on here were even born!), but the inside pages are practically in near-mint condition! :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Anyway, I can't wait to start reading this book, and it even includes black-and-white photos to boot - photos of the Quakes players, coaching staff and front-office personnel; opposing players; the Shakers; Krazy George (the caption on page 95 even reveals his real name); and many other interesting photos, including those of Edson Arantes do Nascimento on pages 224, 324, 236 and 237.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Man, just looking at those pictures has brought back a lot of memories... damn, I'm old! :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I've only read the first chapter of the book so far, and I already know more about Johnny Moore than I ever did before (for example: if you have a kid who played/plays organized little-league soccer in the East Bay in the last 30 years or so, thank Johnny) - I'm sure that will be the case with the other players as well in upcoming chapters.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Interestingly, I had long forgotten that Gary St. Clair (current SJSU men's soccer coach) was a goalkeeper with the Quakes in those days - I had a P.E. class of his at SJSU back in 1991 (I forgot for which sport, although I do remember that it wasn't soccer).

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I finished reading some more of the book. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read a little bit of "Offside". Good stuff.

I learned (not from the book) that basketball was developed by a former Ivy League soccer coach as winter training for his players. That startled me. It seemed to make sense with the way the floor is designed and the game was played. At some point there was a offside rule in basketball.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I also heard that Dr. James Naismith (who was Canadian like Dwayne DeRosario, but without the dreds) used wooden peach baskets for the "hoops". In the first game that he organized, though, they had to use a ladder to remove the ball from the basket every time a shot was made.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It was after that game that they decided to cut the bottom out from each basket. :D

-G

6. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to quibble, but Dr. James Naismith--the Canadian who invented basketball--was seeking an indoor alternative to rugby, not soccer. The original version of the game involved a lot of lateralling, and little dribbling.

If you think of it, it wouldn't have been hard to just come up with futsal if he was looking for a winter alternative for soccer.

I have a Gary St. Clair soccer card, by the way. ;)

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess... from Arby's, circa 1975-76-77 or thereabouts?

I had a pretty fair collection of those Earthquakes cards when I was growing up, myself. Wish I had kept them... and yes, I am officially older than Goodsie, if I can remember those. :eek:

I also wish I had my copy of the book with me, but it's back home in my old bedroom. Momma, if you're lurking and reading this, please send me the book. It is a wonderful read, and brings back some fantastic memories.

Cheers,
    William

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Naismith invented basketball only after having tried and failed to invent indoor soccer.

9. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herfty's...close enough. Probably from the 1975 set, because he was with San Diego in 1976.

You got a source for this? I mean, I read about my version in a rugby book, and I concede it may not be the least biased source of information. But I've never heard the soccer story.

Besides, how hard is it to "invent" indoor soccer. Geez, when I was 8 and still in Cub Scouts we "invented" indoor soccer by kicking a blackboard eraser around on a dance floor. It doesn't take much to create an indoor version of the association game. (Although I will concede that futsal had not been invented yet).

On the other hand, since tackling on a hard, wooden surface is no one's idea of fun, it makes sense that "basket-ball" was originally conceived as an indoor alternative to rugby, especially when one remembers it was originally a lateral based game with offsides, etc.

Speaking of lateralling, I caught an old John Wayne movie the other night, where he played a football coach at a Catholic college. The game scenes were fascinating; they were playing the single-wing offense, and it was notihng but lateralling. It looked more like a rugby match than pointyball.

I seem to have veered a bit off topic. It's so tough to remain focused in close season. :)

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Re: 'Soccer Fever - A Year with the San Jose Earthquakes'

HERFY'S!!!! We used to go the one in Milpitas.

I have a couple of the cards around somewhere (Laurie Calloway, Art Welch, Boris Bandov and Archie Roboostoff for sure, and I think a couple more). Still have a Tito Fuentes (former Giants' second baseman) flying disc up at my parents' house, too.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To take it further off topic, remember that the forward pass was not used in gridiron football until 1914 when Notre Dame used it against Army in their game that year. It was permitted in the rule books but no one until that time had picked up on it.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herfy's, yes! I stand corrected.

Even still, now I'm having a craving for a good ol' roast beef sandwich, and I've barely finished breakfast over here on my side of the world. :eek:

Nonetheless, I wonder what those cards would be worth on today's market...

Cheers,
    William

13. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much, apparently; the sets pop us pretty frequently on eBay, and rarely go for more than $25.00

They'll always have a soft spot in my heart, though. I remember seeing them in a sports card catalog and saying, "oh my God--they have soccer cards!" Having collected every other sport card, I was thrilled to see that my favorite sport finally was included in the mix, even if only by way of a local, paper, odd-size black & white issue of only one team.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :(

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some days, I feel it more than others. :D

Cheers,
    William

16. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I am getting ready to read Anson Dorrance' "Vision Of A Champion"....to be continued...

17. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport, could you confirm this? We could go to historical texts, but I figure a eye witness would be better to confirm this. :D

Forward passes used to be illegal in soccer.

To me, it seems much more logical that soccer is closer to basketball than rugby is to basketball. The movement of play and the design of the floor and game make much more sense. Fouling a offensive player in a scoring position earns a penalty. Terminology such as "dribble" is found in these two sports. Defensive rules are designed for defenders to go for the ball, rather than going for the man. You score within a frame, a horizontal goal with a net, rather than scoring in a zone.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsie had tickets on the 50-yard line for that game. He'll also be able to tell you that Dwight D. Eisenhower was waterboy for Army. :)
    I agree with Defender's contention here, basketball seems to me, too, to be a derivative of soccer, I fail to see any logical connection with Rugby.

19. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Rugby must be a derivative of NASCAR....there both made up of a bunch of toothless, corn-fed dirt-farmers.

20. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget cow-tipping, the lumberjack competitions and the WWE.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I had a senior-citizen discount for my tickets that game. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And if memory serves, that was when he was still David Dwight Eisenhower.

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Regarding Paul Child (on page 31):

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So does that mean that Paul Child was the Landon Donovan of his day (but with some actual advertising/marketing being done back then)? :confused:

-G

23. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blasphemy. The Quakes have never been advertised.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Is that sort of like how the Revolution will not be televised? :confused:

-G

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sound familiar? :eek: