Soccer Festival in 2004?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by David Allan, Feb 8, 2004.

1. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    I seem to keep hearing whisperings that there will be a soccer festival only in 2004, not a league revival, which is hoped to come around in 2005.

Anybody have further information or details?

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Here's what I know of the festivals :)

At one point, Soccer America had stated there would be three weekends in June where WUSA-related activities would take place. One of the three venues was (and still is, reportedly) Cary, NC, home of the Courage (SAS Stadium).

In the past 10 days, however, SA said in its newsletter that now there would be "up to" (which is a crucial distinction from what was originally announced) three festivals, which would consist of games, meet and greet in the community and a possible knockout tournament. An Associated Press report last week suggested there would be only four of the 8 teams participating in these competitions, since a lot of the players (and if you've checked out the Charge alumni thread) have necessarily moved on with their careers and lives. Joe Cummings, the Breakers GM, said that Boston would not host one of the festivals, curiously, since he's been a driving force behind getting everything revved up behind the scenes.

An announcement finalizing everything I've just mentioned is now scheduled for the end of the month, which is a couple weeks away. So we'll hopefully see then.

Paul