Soccer Fans Should Hope Mike Francesa Doesn't Go To Fox Sports 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by EvanJ, Feb 9, 2014.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I would like to find the first person to suggest putting a radio show on television. Then take that person and hang them upside down by their testicles in front of a firing squad....FIRE!!

Along with the endless slew of "reality" shows we are bombarded by, nothing personifies the dumbing down of a nation more than the simulcast of a radio show on TV.

My 2 cents...

SA

3. tideman

tideman Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When his show was simulcast on the YES Network, it would be pre-empted any time the Yankees played a day game during the week so I don't think this would be an issue and you know this would be negotiated ahead of time if it were to happen. He has a big head but he is a also a realist and understands the business.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His show will be pre-empted by Champions League games. No way Fox chooses a radio simulcast over live sports that they paid a lot of money for. His show will likely be moved online/on the phone app for people need their Sports Pope fix. I wonder how much the move to FOX changes the show since it is available to the nation and Mike has been doing a mostly New York-centric show. I read something from him a few months ago where he said he didn't want to change the show w/having so much New York focus but he might have to since the show is going out to a much bigger audience than YES was going out to.

5. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Fox won't be choosing a radio simulcast over live sports. They will put the CL on Fox Sports 2 and claim that they are helping everyone out. They will then put the overflow onto pay channels.

You are giving Fox way to much credit. If they can find a way to screw something up they will.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 EvanJ, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Yes, but the YES Network was created by the Yankees and the Fox Sports channels weren't created by the UEFA Champions League. How many players who played in the 2013-2014 UEFA Champions League do you think Mike Francesa could name? There are many Americans who not only are not soccer fans but have no idea how popular soccer is in other countries. UEFA Champions League games could preempt his show 28 times a year (over 10 percent of all weekdays) if it was preempted every Tuesday and Wednesday from the Playoff Round through the Quarterfinals (if the Semifinals air on FX). That doesn't even count the Europa League.

Edit: Today's Newsday says Francesa is going to Fox Sports 1.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think this will affect the CL group-stage. Surely when there are 7-8 games going-on simultaneously, they won't have some radio show on FS1. Where it could hurt us is when there are only 1 or 2 CL games on a particular day. Then it becomes a lot easier to move the game(s) to FS2 and/or FS+. Logically, fat Mike should get bumped to FS2, but this is FOX we're talking about... :(

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's already been done:

Dan Patrick, The Herd, and Mike & Mike come to mind. Jim Rome has a TV show, but that's a separate show and I have no idea if he still does his radio show.

The point about commercials comes to mind. They can air regular shows on FOX Sports One (with commercials every few minutes) or they can air those same commercials on FOX Sports Two.... If the UEFA ratings are flat, guess where CL is going?

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know who did it first but I know Howard Stern made it very popular.
    Get the bullets and noose ready.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Imus was on radio and TV also.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    An increasing number of radio shows are also doing simultaneous video webcast.

12. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never understood the fascination with these simulcast radio shows - watching some guy sitting behind a mic sipping coffee is not very compelling TV, and judging by the appearance of some of these fellas there's a reason they are on radio in the first place;) But that's how commercial TV works - one network tries something and is successful, then all the others follow suit, leading to saturation.

13. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I will have it on during workouts or when I am at home doing something else. I get better quality audio through my TV than I do from the radio.

14. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    A radio show is filler programming.

FOX didn't pay millions to bump soccer for it, let's be real here...

15. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There is almost always a "live events clause" in these contracts. CL would not be affected an early window EL quarter may get moved to FS2 but not a champions league QF. What i would say goodbye to is the double headers on the Russian days in the next group stage. Also certain days and a lot of them in the first part of the baseball season his show wont even be on because his radio broadcast will be preempted by day games.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    European games would certainly be affected without an accommodation being made (which I agree will likely happen).

18. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

My guess is that Mike will do his show for TV only if the Yanks have a game going on. I also am willing to bet that his show will air online when Champions/Euro League games are going on along with FOX's NASCAR commitments.

It is pretty rich that Francessa's show will be pre-empted regularly for soccer which Mike doesn't rate at all. I hope the crank callers that manifest his show bring up how the ratings for the soccer game are much higher than his show. Soccer will never supplant the NFL as the US's most popular sport but it will supplant Francessa from TV on a lot of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons for the next 4 years!

The live UCL Round of 16 games on FS1 a couple of weeks ago did 258k, 172k, and 87k viewers while the live UCL game on FS2 did 36k viewers. No way Mike's show ever does 258k or 172k viewers on FS1 from 1-4 on the regular.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think reillyduke just meant that it wouldn't conflict with the 2013-2014 Champions League, where the Semifinals have been on FX in the past and obviously the final is on a Saturday.

You gave knockout rounds viewers, which I'd expect to be higher than for the Group Stage. Mike wouldn't want to be preempted all 18 Group Stage days (for the Champions League and Europa League combined) in a span of about three months during NFL season, especially when the Giants or Jets played Monday Night Football (to be discussed after the game on Tuesday) or Thursday Night Football (to be discussed before the game on Thursday).
    If Mike isn't preempted enough and the Champions League becomes less available, it could make people switch to DirecTV to get all the games and/or Fox could use it as an opportunity to pay for FoxSoccer2Go.

20. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FOX is paying 30M to 50M a season for UCL/UEFA rights. There is no way that FOX will pre-empt live sports that they're paying a large rights fee for a radio on TV show simulcast. Mike will do his radio show and it will end up simulcasted on FOX SPORTS TO GO on UCL/UEFA gamedays.

21. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is they have commitments that they have made to UEFA about the number matches shown. I am pretty sure they have to show at least one match every match day live on TV (Not sure if they have a free hand between FS1 and 2 or do they have a certain amount they have to show on 1).

22. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    When i was talking about a live events clause what i meant is that fox has the option to move Mikes show. Whether we always like their choice is another question. We must admit that a few group stage matchdays have crappy matchups and Fox may stay with Mike. Europa league is the real loser here i don't see many Europa games staying on fs1. You guys are right though the logistics of this deal start getting tricky next fall.

23. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They have a free hand in network choice as long as they are available to a channel on tv.

24. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So is soccer. Might as well air the radio show where you can squeeze in a lot more commercials.

25. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Although Mike casually dismisses soccer in that clip, he is genuinely stunned by the fact that the sport is now actually on network television.

cleansheetbsc repped this.