Soccer fan-related questions about Dallas-Fort Worth

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by WarrenAbao, Sep 14, 2005.

1. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    First off, my apologies for going somewhat off-topic.

I (finally) was offered a job with Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, Texas, which I've accepted. I will begin my drive to the Dallas/Fort Worth area on Friday, arriving Saturday evening.

But on to more important things...

* What are the bars in the area to go to catch English Premiership, Champions League, and MLS telecasts?

* What is the name of the cable company in the Fort Worth area, and does it carry FSC, Fox Sports en Espanol, Galavision, Telemundo, Telefutura, and/or Gol TV?

* Where are the Dallas/Fort Worth viewer parties for FC Dallas road games?

* When do the parking areas to Pizza Hut Park open up, i.e., how many hours before FC Dallas kickoff do they open?

* Although I'm not a member of the Inferno, would I be able to park in the Inferno lot, or a lot adjacent to where the Inferno meet before or after FCD matches in PHP?

* Is parking around PHP still a problem with the ongoing construction? Would I have to get to Frisco pretty early to get a parking spot fairly close to the stadium?

* How much does it cost for parking at PHP?

Many thanks,
    Warren

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rock ON!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to be joined by Greatness Personified. Warren is one of the bastions of Sam's Army, as hard core as they come. Not to put too much pressure on you, Mr. A., but folks, this guy knows how to Bring It! He is one of those that makes up the backbone of Sam's Army any time he is there - and that is usually pretty damn often.

I'll leave most of the other details to people who have the facts at their fingertips, but as for Sunday and parking, go to TIDN's forum and check out the details. The short answer is this - sign up as an Inferno member, contact Emily Harting (our ticket rep - eharting@mlsnet.com) about the parking (yes, you have to be an Inferno member first), and all will be well.

Go to the Tailgate section and look at the Cheap-ish Hotels thread - it also has stuff on directions to the park. (Anyone from The Town of the Cow who can give him more specific details?)

I'm not sure there even is a "too early" for the tailgate. I know I'll be there pretty early on Sunday.

Welcome!

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    What is this "topic" you speak of?

Congratulations, I too left the muggy, yet familar, confines of South Florida for the greatness of North Texas due to a job.

I don't know about Ft Worth, but the best soccer friendly bar in the Metroplex is Trinity Hall.....they even sponsor the Inferno's Tshirts. They are located in the Mockingbird Station development at Mockingbird and Central Expressway.

Go with either DISH or DirectTV, in the end you'll be a much happier soccer fan.

The official ones are at Dave & Busters in Frisco. But many of us go to the aforementioned Trinity Hall or to Stadium Cafe.

What time do you get up in the morning? I don't think they've ever stopped us from tailgating too early.

You get there early enough and you can park right there for $12 a game.

I show up about an hour before the games and have no problems at all.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), its Comcast,thats what it is in the Dallas area and living in an appartment complex I unfortunetly have to go through cable instead of satellite. The upside is with digital cable you can get all those channels you speak of, I have them :D But like Tex said, go with DirecTV if possible, much better.

yes, it's $12 and theres usually always space even up to 30 mins to kickoff, I think thats the latest I've tried to park there.

for $12 in the lot next to the stadium, yes it's easy. Traffic isn't that bad.

Welcome and Kevin sure blew your horn enough that its like the Inferno won the Superfan #1 draft pick, :D

5. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I feel asleep at 3:30am and woke up at 4:30am to head to the 10am kickoff for the USA vs. Honduras WCQ in RFK four years ago, so I'm always up early when tailgating is involved :D

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we tailgated for 24 hours before the home opener of PHP, so I think you're fine ;)

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See what I mean? The guy is gold - he's going to fit right in. Too bad you missed the 24 hour tailgate, my friend. You would have had a blast.

8. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Does Comcast carry Direct Kick as well?

Yeah, Kev has seriously over-hyped me. Heck, I didn't even deliver with the photos of Veronica Paysee and the "modified" Inferno tee shirt that I took at the Dallas Burn game I went to several years ago...my consistency is purely dependent on my blood-alcohol content.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say in military terms, I wouldn't hesitate to hand him the guide-on(lead colors) for a stretch. Parrish, Dustin, Chaz, Bazan - we all know him as one of the best seargents Sam's Army has ever had.

He is in the same mold as TG, Kujeaux, TA, etc. - a good guy who will party hard, bring it hard but not be an a-hole like the Fire or DC fans. He's a Goodfella. He's one of Us. (Too bad he can't make the game tonight - we sure could use him.)

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but see, that is exactly why you will fit in just fine.

But the real fight will begin at the same time.

[Silence as Warren is sat down in a lone chair in a black room with a hot spotlight blinding him.]

Booming, disembodied voice: TELL US - ARE YOU IBSF OR CBC?

The truth will out!

11. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Holy moley, Kev -- you're giving me waaaay too much credit.

Look, I'm just a mouthy soccer fan, just like the rest of you:

[​IMG]

...who happens to wear mouthy tee shirts.

12. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Well, if I'm forced to choose sides, I have to go with IBSF (with Boddington's, Newcastle, and Guinness being my three favorite beers, I can't see how I can deny that IBSF is what mostly flows through my veins).

But if there is ever a lack of IBSF constituency, I'm always willing to side with CBC.

Just keep the horrible White Zinfandel Ultras (WZU) outta my sight!

13. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Which is why you're greatness. Just like all the others in The Inferno who Bring It. Welcome, my friend. Welcome to The Machine.

:D

14. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, first beer is on me. And yes, it will be Shiner.

15. frankc

frankc New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Richardson,TX
    welcome...that t-shirt was a big hit at columbus,,i myself swears by dish network,but to each their own i guess...as for the apt.dwellers you to can have satelite in spite of what landlords say..it's the law..dish and direct tv will be more than happy to break that stranglehold for ya

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I saw that shirt, really funny even for this mexicano. :D

Hey, Warren, eres mexicano o pinoy? I am always curious as how Americans come to support the USNats.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes, but I've read horror stories across the league from different cable providers screwing them out of games and such but I don't know how it goes for Comcast, I have Direct Kick at my parents house on DirecTV. I'm sure its fine though.

18. Parrish

Parrish Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Lincoln Park,Chicago
    Warren gets full props as a cash money soulja from me myself as well. If Kev has overhyped the man, it's only because he deserves it (I don't understand that sentence either). And I'm not just saying this because he once referred to me on NAS as "the legend". Abao's a Cold War veteran, and there's even an urban myth, spread by Abao, that's he's indirectly responsible for one of the goals in the original 2-0.

Bars: Any Fox & Hound will have the game of your choice on a screen somewhere. You'll also have FSC in your residence, so no worries there. This isn't the old days where you have to pay a $20 cover to catch the FA Cup Final at some bar you never went to before or since.

TV: I have Dish, which includes FSC, Shootout package, GolTV, and CSTV (don't underestimate college soccer, or underestimate it if you wish, but certainly don't begrudge me my women's volleyball fetish). Galavision, Telemundo, and Telefutura are available as local broadcast channels.

Watching parties: If you're living in FtW, forget it. It's a 45-minute drive to Frisco. And don't live in Frisco to be close to the stadium, the work commute will make you put a bullet in your head.

"Although I'm not a member of the Inferno..."
    We'll fix that soon enough.

"Would I have to get to Frisco pretty early to get a parking spot fairly close to the stadium?"
    The whole city's one giant parking lot. No worries, hoss. Besides, we're drawing about 379 people per game, so it's not like we're hurting for space.

"How much does it cost for parking at PHP?"
    I parked tonight for $0. I'll not reveal my secrets in public (which is how they stay secrets), but I'll let you in on how to recoup the gas expenses if necessary.

19. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    me and manck are just a-holes all the time :D

20. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I am (a very Americanized) Filipino. Dad was one of the lucky ones to join the U.S. Navy, allowing him and Mom to move to the United States.

When Dad was stationed in Gaeta, Italy from 1978-82 I was first bitten by the calcio bug, watching Serie A, martial arts movies (yes, Chinese translated to Italian), and Diff'rent Strokes (called "Arnold in Manhattan" in Italy -- I have no idea what the Italian translation for "What you talkin about Willis" is).

I returned to the USA in '82, and soccer was almost dead. NASL was on its last legs (I never got to see the Jacksonville Tea Men). And I fell in love with football and baseball.

The summer after graduating college, I watched World Cup '94 on TV and my interest in soccer began to pique again. After finally getting a decent job, I splurged for a C-band satellite dish in '96, and absolutely fell in love with the English Premier League highlights show on Prime Network, especially Liverpool. My fanaticism for soccer continued to escalate from there, I heard about Sam's Army, attended my first USA match (with about forty other Sammers) against Israel (in lightning), flew to Foxboro for my first WCQ against El Salvador (in flurries, but the atmosphere in the supporters section was something I had NEVER experience at American sports events), met a lot of great soccer fans at both, and was officially hooked after that.

I feel like I should be using a walker and drinking a can of Ensure after telling such a long-winded story...

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

It wasn't an EXHAUSTIVE list.....

And no, even you guys aren't Fire/DC a-holes.

Folks, please don't take this as a statement that Warren is something better than what The Inferno has in abundance. But he surely is the kind of quality that makes The Inferno great and will add to its greatness.

22. Kujeaux

Kujeaux New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumping the gun maybe, who said he was joining the Inferno ;)

Welcome to town Warren, we're glad to help you with anything.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Prime Sports....oh that takes me back...

24. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Orale Abao. Thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to the Lone Star Repubi....er...State. :D Home of the Texas National Team. :p

The way I got into the USNats is I guess backwards to the way others do. Born and raised in Mexico, I followed soccer, world cups, and Cruz Azul. When my parents decided to come to the US, there was *NO* soccer at all, eventhough we just cross over to the community on the US side. So from early 80's to mid-90's it was mostly World Cup and Dallas Cowboys. After WC 98, I was curious about one thing, "did the US have a professional team?" To tell you the thruth, I saw WC98 and I don't remember seeing any of the US games! :eek: So. 99. I googled for US and soccer. MLS! After following the teams as much as I could via BigSoccer, TV, etc., I started noticing who was playing in the USNats. THEN, I started following the national team.

25. Parrish

Parrish Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Lincoln Park,Chicago
    I said he was joining the Inferno. And if anyone thinks otherwise, I'd like to remind you that I have a pair of shovels and a list of abandoned construction sites. :eek: