Soccer/Dynamo/MLS stuff that doesn’t fit elsewhere

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DonJuego, Jun 19, 2024.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods — if preferred move this all to a better place. I searched for an appropriate thread and didn’t find it.

I want to plug two podcasts on soccer, one of which is brand new.

SoccerwiseHQ is a new collab podcast between David Gass (formerly of MLS Extra time) and Tom Bogart. In their first episode, the Houston Dynamo signing of Ponce was their first item. If anyone at MLS talked about the Dynamo before Miami, Atlanta, LAFC, Seattle are covered would be fired. I think this one is going to be worth the listen. I find it on Youtube. They say it will be up on all your common podcast outlets.

MLS Journeyman is a collab between three MLS vet friends: Dax McCarty, Dan Gargan, and Alan Gordon. This weekly podcast is amazing. These guys, for the most part, just visit and talk. I don’t want to say it is “unprofessional” — it is just not polished and formulaic. It really is like sitting and listening to three friends talk and banter about the sport they, and we, all love. It is my favorite podcast right now. They have like less than a 100 followers. I don’t know how long it will be around — enjoy it while it is here. I get it on YouTube.

2. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyi--i was able to find it on the apple podcast app

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I should start a podcast on the topic of podcasts...

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT would actually be riotous! I mean a no holds barred, open air mic, yet good content show. "DJ and The Bear Hour of Power"

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.101greatgoals.com/us/so...smnt-star-weston-mckennie-copa-united-states/

Weston McKennie says Copa America is hurt by being in the USA. “No atmosphere and poor pitches”

I think McKennie is absolutely correct. USA v Bolivia should be at FC Dallas Stadium, or Q2 or Shell Energy.

I am very worried about the World Cup. In 1994 only one stadium was indoors. The Pontiac Silverdome. Heat was a problem, but at least the fields were proper.

7. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I listened to the first episode of SoccerWise as well and enjoyed it. I think it will finally fill the void that Allocation Disorder left in my podcast listening habits. Also I listened on Spotify so I think they’ve sorted out their feed issues. I’ll give Journeymen a try as well.

Was going to post this in the DCU thread but I think it goes better here. We’ve done well as a soccer country to grow but we’re running into an issue where if you want to play an international game your options are to play in an NFL stadium with a bad pitch or play in a soccer stadium with a bad pitch*.

*I know DC isn’t the standard MLS pitch but I’m using comedic license

8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played. I think I jinxed the field in DC by the comment I made. Field was probably perfect until 3:37pm Saturday.

9. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just poor pitches to worry about......A few comments during the game last night with Can/Peru from the commentators mentioned how hot it was and that the world cup organizers better pay attention to this (paraphrased).

The cities with no closed roof or dome (KC, Miami, SF, Boston, NY) will have to start praying now things don't get too hot.

Mexico City, Monterrey and Guadalajara could be ovens as well.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hopefully FIFA lets the organizers have evening games US time and not do the normal thing of having the games in the afternoons so it is prime-time in Europe.

7seven7 repped this.
  11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if FIFA would face liability to their European media partners if they made that decision?

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 DonJuego, Jul 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2024 at 5:33 PM
    MLS Announces Roster Rule Changes:

1. Each year each team must declare for either one of two roster approaches:
    A. 3 DPs, 3 U22 DPs; or
    B. 2 DPs, 4 U22 DPs + $2M GAM
    In 2024, teams must declare in Mid-August.

2. Increase in transfer revenue that can be converted into GAM from $1.3m per transfer to $3m per transfer.

quiznatodd_bidness and 7seven7 repped this.
  14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen two reports now, one from Tom Bogart, that Atlanta has amassed a $50M supply of funds, from all their various transfers, that can be spent on new players.

Wow. Assuming those reports are true, can teams that don't develop and sell players for a profit compete against the likes of that?

7seven7 repped this.