Soccer Celebrations Game Rosters - Shows how badly Dallas was neglected

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by drace768, Jul 29, 2004.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    In reviewing the Soccer Celebrations Game Rosters, you will note that Dallas is not represented by a single player. Every other team, including Tampa Bay and Miami, are represented by at least two players.

This simply reinforces the absolute disregard the league showed to Dallas through most their history, yet Dallas still has the 3rd best all time record. It seems like things are starting to turn around, and hopefully Frisco will help get more respect from the league.

2. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Now if we could just get the refs to quit assraping us, we'd be in great shape ...

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I have no idea what you are referring to.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'm guessing that he is referring to the "legends" all star game.

5. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
  6. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    All star crap. No wonder. It's not on my radar. I haven't watched an all-star game since 98.

But Drace, your point is a valid one because this All-Star nonsense is on the radar of MLS.

7. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I don't put any weight in all-star games either, but it does show that Dallas certainly was neglected when it came to receiving "big name" players.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly on the USA side.

But maybe MLS contacted Hugo Sanchez and Leonel Alavarez and they were busy.

9. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East Coast media bias manifests itself in multiple ways. Wether is against Dallas or Texas is debatable but the fact that NY, NY, PA, CT, MA (not LA because of time zone) et al Nielsen rating's dictate the price for advertisement. The logic being if you make it appealing for the North Easterner, they will watch, if they watch, advertising revenue rises. MLS like NFL, NBA, NHL etc. will whore themselves to have a franchise in these markets and forece themselves to make them as succesful as possible. If success is not possible; then by all means mis-represent the importance of said franchise. NY Knicks anyone? NY Rangers? NY Mets, NY Jets, NY/NJ Metrostars etc.... all crap teams and crap franchises but their respective leagues will do everything to bring their name to the forefront. So the news media will help market their crap. All Star games are crap and exist for one reason only....what that is I don't know. ;)

10. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe so, but that probably happened with several players from several teams. Plus most teams are represented by two players on each team. I don't particularly care about the game or who is invited. I just thought it was a good illustration of the neglect that Dallas received for most of its history, yet it still managed to compile the 3rd best overall record.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they contacted Gerrel Elliott and Chad Ashton for the US side and they were too busy.

12. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Wow. I mean, just...wow. What flavor Kool-Aide is in your pantry, pal? I watch sports and sports shows all the time and I hear way more about the Dallas Mavericks than I do about the Knicks. The Knicks are in the news a lot because they always seem to be trying some crazy new trade. The new GM is a goof, and that gets headlines. Also, I'd hardly call them a crap franchise. They are a weak team right now, but they were a solid, upper tier team for over a decade before the troubles of the past two seasons. The Mavs get coverage for who's coming in, who's not happy, how could any player NOT be happy with their warmed benches, etc etc. Same thing with the Cowboys and their "America's team" crap for years. The Jets get coverage because they've got a good coach (one of the very few black coaches in the league on top of that), a good young quarterback, and in the last 5 years or so have reversed a trend of horrid horrid play. On the flip side, you have the Cowboys, whose biggest claim to fame is having more white lines in the locker room than on the field (credit to whichever stand up comic I heard that from). The Rangers are an original NHL franchise that has been like a train wreck for a decade. They are just now rebuilding, and now that they are doing the right thing for the team, the exposure will go away, because there won't be any more story.

As for the Dallas Rebranded compared to the Metros, go get a kleenex. Dallas has received more than their fair share of league help throughout the years. When you get league welfare, you eventually have to pay for it by feeling the league screw. It's part of the deal, and every team has felt it.

PS: Don't you think it just MIGHT be possible that if Jason Kreis and Oscar Pareja were retired, they would have been asked to participate? The reason Dallas doesn't have a star or two in the pointless old folks game is because Dallas' old folks are still on the roster.

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    just a wild guess but i would think the cowboys biggest claim to fame is 5 super bowls but hey maybe thats just me

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Details, details... :)

15. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grant you the Mavericks due to their owner. Mark Cuban is a media whore (should have seen his crap TV show). The Cowboys play on the EASTERN conference which makes my point. EAST Coast media BIAS. For a non NE team to be mentioned, they must have a MAD owner or cocaine freaks to be noticed!!! You have not mentioned the merits of the NE tams. Rangers original six! Big efing deal ! Ameirca's Team was created by NFL films in NY.

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Cuban had a tv show?? Good god, they'll put anybody on the tube anymore. As to the Rangers, it isn't just because they are an original NHL team (although you have to admit, the league gives a certain reverence to the original 6). It's because they are an original team that finally won it all in 1994, in grand sports fashion (with Messier calling the victory), and then they proceeded to implode. They'd had the NHL's highest payroll for the last how many years and kept missing the playoffs? How many superstars were signed by the blueshirts only to end their careers in shame? The media loves the Rangers because the public loves a train wreck. Now that they are actually rebuilding, just watch, the media will lose interest. There is a story when every player is an all star and the team sucks. There is a story when a team has the highest payroll and still sucks. When a team has 2 or 3 big players and a bunch of no-name rookies, people expect them to suck. The media will lose interest.

Also, you have to admit that the NY area teams have a tendency to have those "sports moments." The called series in 94 by Messier and the Rangers, the called Super Bowl by the Broadway Joe and the Jets, the Monday night Miracle by the Jets (vs. the Dolphins), the no-name players who always seem to play the role of the hero for the Yankees in the playoffs (Brosious, Boone, etc).

17. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Quit stalking me.

I told you to keep your Selective-Reality-Reconstruction-Tunnel-Vision
    OUT of the Burn forum!

Jefe, this is clearly a violation of TOS.

Card him.

=bs

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    You running around for a few days looking for posts by me to throw a fit over across the website, was stalking. Me posting in a thread you didn't even post in isn't even close. It's pretty amusing that you seem to be more offended than the person whose post I was responding to. Dallas has gotten favors. They have also been screwed. The fact that you refuse to admit that is not "selective reality reconstruction tunnel vision."

19. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the "sports moments" you mention above are media creations broadcasted by NE media outlets. "Broadway" Joe, the fool went to Alabama and was (I reckon still is ) Beaver Falls hillbilly. The train wreck factor I must admit is delicious. No one loves a good wreck like myself. My point again is that if The Dallas BURN were the NY/NJ BURN we would have JK, Pareja, Sanchez, Alvarez playing in that meaningless game. The snub by MLS is not intentional towards any team but rather parrochial to its team up north. Explain the number of Dallas Cowboys in the Hall of Fame compared to the Pittsburgh Steelers !

20. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name two.

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

1: DJ & EJ remaining on P-40 when players like Nate Jaqua, Mike Magee and Rico Clark had that roster/salary protection removed.

2: The blatantly obvious Dallas "win" of Winston Griffiths in a weighted lottery when he clearly should have been a Metro discovery player, for no other reason than to give Dallas something to trade for Countess (who the league wanted getting #1 playing time).

3: The sheer number of weighted lotteries won by Dallas. As one of your own fans stated at the beginning of the thread, Dallas has the 3rd best all time record in league history. The Metros have historically sucked, so them winning a lotto weighted towards bad performance makes sense. How has Dallas been so lucky?

Those three are just off the top of my head. There have been more. I don't really have any problem with it. If you look at the history of the league, the teams that tend to get "help" often get placed in the position of "helping" another team later. If you take league welfare, you are eventually called upon to pay league taxes.

22. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacen,
    You want taxes...I'll give you taxes. Being stronged armed by the NY based MLS to surrender the no. 1 pick in last years draft and getting Jack Squat for it. (Jury on the compensation is still out)

23. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I just don't see it. You say that the "sports moments" were created by the media, but has there been instances where teams or players OUTSIDE of that area have had such a "moment?" There just seems to be something about playing in NY that gives a player balls enough to do stuff like that. A good test of this will be the Rangers when (if) the NHL starts up again. If they get tons of coverage, it's a sign that you are right. If they don't, it's relatively clear that the media was just interested in watching Ranger management shoot themselves in the foot for a decade.

As to MLS, I think they were reaching for warm bodies on the foreign side of the old folks game (Emenalo?) and the US side is the WC 94 team. You guys had Deering from that team, but didn't he just leave the league on less than ideal terms? It's tough to criticise or look for a bias in an all star game that had to be thrown together at the last second like this.

24. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NFL Films is located in Mt. Laurel, N.J. right outside of Philly and the man who coined them America's team was an NFL Films editor from the Philly area and probably rooted for the Eagles, a rival of the Cowboys. To be fair though the term was coined in the mid to late 70's when the Steelers were more deserving of being called America's team.

25. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

And I've been on record as saying that was handled poorly. The league did it at the draft because that was the most sure fire way to grab headlines. That said, an allocation for Adu who will (if he pans out) generate an allocation was weak. I've said before that the best way to handle it would have been to give Dallas the Etcheverry allocation now, and the Adu allocation if and when one exists. DC gets the player essentially for free, and Dallas gets an opportunity both now and in the future to improve their team. That said, yeah, you guys got screwed. It happens. Were the Metros "fortunate" to get Walker? Yeah. Was it a joke that the league contrived a weighted lottery to give Paul Grafer to SJ just so they could "trade" him to the Metros for Ramiro Corrales? Yeah. When the league helps, you can expect them to cash that check in the future.