Soccer-bashing in The New Republic

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by edcrocker, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You Want a Commie Sport?

Think of this the next time a neck disses on our game as "A commie sport..."

How many world cups have been won by communist nations? ZERO.

BUT...Has a communist nation ever won the gold medal in baseball? OH, YEAH!

Also:

As in capitalism, soccer offers free reign to create scoring opportunies and deny them based completely upon the hard work of the person on the field. In baseball, You are apportioned your offensive chances based on your turn in line, and can even achieve offensive success simply by error or a pitcher missing the plate four times...Now THAT'S Communist.

Baseball has, in recent years, constructed new facilities on taxpayer money, while many soccer stadia being pondered are at least much more private in their funding.

Baseball pitchers are restricted to the mound, batters and catchers to a compact box and relief pitchers to an enclosed Gulag. Soccer players have almost unfettered freedom to roam the pitch.

Rise, former baseball fans! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

2. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    That had to have been the most BITING political race of all time ;-)

This article should be dismissed as being a witty reply to his editorial companion & is not to be taken too seriously.

It's interesting , though I won't discount their contibutions to the study of physics, Bohr & Heisenburg were both members of the NAZI party and if they had access to heavy water(H30), they would've developed a nuclear device for Hitler.

BTW former NASA director Von Braum(sp?) was a NAZI scientist that helped develope the V2, the predecesor of the SCUD missile.

3. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan

Heisenberg maybe. (Some speculate that he deliberately trashed the Nazi atomic bomb project, and nearly everyone agrees that he was no great fan of Hitler.) But definitely not Bohr. He was a strident anti-Nazi and fled to Sweden in '43 under threat of deportation because of his Jewish heritage. Later he collaborated with the Manhattan Project.

Anyway, what does this have to do with the thread?

4. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    The thread starter mentioned their names in a positive light & I loath white washed history, were everyone is either good or bad. If you join a political party to advance your career and ignore the obvious human rights violations, then you cannot be a hero in my book.

5. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Aaah. I see.

I agree with the principle, but I believe you have the wrong idea about Niels Bohr, who was not only one of the great scientists of the 20th century but also by most accounts a hell of a guy and definitely not a Nazi.

6. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Re: Re: The New Republic, are you kidding me.

Careful dude--you just did the exact same thing you criticized others for.

7. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Here's what I just sent:

Mr. Chait,

I assume by now you've been inundated from my fellow soccer fans, but I can't resist piling on. You're missing the incremental growth of soccer in this country. I'm probably old enough to be your father (64) and have had kids from two marriages. In the 70s my kids played soccer in Arlington. It was pretty rag tag; teams were sponsored by serivce clubs and car dealers. We went a couple of times to see the Washington Diplomats of the old NASL, but not seriously. Teams were mostly foreigners and I seem to recall a rule that they had to have at least 4 Americans. That was hard for them to do. After a few years it was over. There wasn't any soccer to speak of on TV.

My second family was born in the 80s and played in DC in the 90s. Soccer fields every where. There were three a few years ago at a junior high in Arlington where there was only one baseball diamond. I don't know when they made the change, but it wasn't like that in the 70s. Think of the complex in Germantown.

The US made the World Cup finals in 1990 for the first time in 40 years. It might have been in the Post, but I have no recollection of it. I went to the games in 94 when they were here because my kids, who were playing then, wanted to go, and I got hooked. In fact I got so hooked, that eventually I gave up my long-envied Redskin season tickets and bought DC United. Despite the last couple of seasons, I'm enjoying watching them.

A suggested experiment: you or someone at TNR must have access to old newspaper files. I'd be curious to know how the Post's coverage of the World Cup this year compared to its coverage in the past 1990, or 1986, or back in the 70s when you were playing. For that matter, how much mention did those earlier Cups get in TNR? Your's isn't the first this time, but I doubt if there was much any of the earlier times.

The US team did a superb job in Korea this summer. A number of those players (including Eddie Pope, Pablo Mastroeni, Carlos Llamosa, DaMarcus Beasley, Josh Wolf, Clint Mathis) have played their entire professional careers in MLS. Several others (including Tony Sanneh, Brad Friedel, Joe-Max Moore, Frankie Hejduk) have played part of their careers in MLS before being lured to the Big Time in Europe. Jeff Agoos and Cobi Jones are Americans who playe in Europe earlier, and came back when MLS was founded.

This is a far cry from the 1970s when the US was being shut out by the likes of Canada in World Cup qualifying. You think soccer isn't gaining? You haven't looked at the record. More important, you haven't looked around.

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Figured it was time for another "the original story was a joke!" post.

I just got out of a meeting in which we had a good laugh about humor-impaired feedback.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But a pretty lame one, and not a worthy comeback to the original column praising soccer.

10. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

And you think you are going to sway anybody with this response. Its exactly this kind of response, that creates the "whiney soccer fan" sterotype. Sorry, but people like you give this sport a bad name in this country.

11. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    It wasn't meant to be a comeback. The ending bit is a parody of a hysterical anti-soccer tirade in an effort to make a point about negative political advertising.

Read the article closely, and this will become clear.

If not, just trust me here:

I promise each and every one of you, it's a parody. This is not in any way, shape or form an attack on soccer,any more than Swift's "Modest Proposal" was a serious policy recommendation. It's a joke. Stop sending letters. They just make you look dumb.

12. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Not sure which is funnier, the pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek article or the hysterical posts of the humor-impaired BSers.

Think I'll take the former.

jgw

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the amusing bit about Kix cereal, the column was full of the type of misinformation you see in honest-to-God soccer bashing columns.

Chait should have notched up the level of ridiculousness in order to make his column a decent parody.

14. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Agreed,

Maybe this will make them rethink coming off the handle everytime a soccer bashing article appears in print. I mean isn't every article bashing soccer a joke, quit wasting your time responding to them.

15. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    I could not care less whether or not I managed to sway his opinion -- I was just pointing out some points where he and I differ, that's all.

16. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    "I am a golden god!"

Robert Plant