Soccer at SBC???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Chuy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Chuy

Chuy New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    The Feb. 10 friendly against Japan is scheduled to be played at SBC Park in San Francisco. Can someone please explain to me how the field and seating work out for a soccer match in a stadium shaped like this???:

[​IMG]

I am relatively new to the Bay Area and would like to go to this game, but I don't want to need binoculars to read the players' numbers. Have they ever held a major soccer match in this stadium?

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I think they typically take either the 1st baseline or the 3rd baseline and make it one of the touchlines and then create the pitch out of the infield and outfield along that side. So, one half of the park is right up against the touchline like normal while the other is set back quite a bit. The Puerto Rico USL team plays in a baseball stadium.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the layout for American football. Imagine it wider for soccer.
    [​IMG]

It has hosted a few friendlies involving Mexican clubs. At least one of them sold out. They plant grass on the infield after baseball season to prepare for the Emerald Bowl.

See the Fans & Travel board for more information.

4. biglove

biglove New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    berkeley, ca
    does anyone know when tickets will be available? i just checked ussoccer.com and there's no information.

5. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If someone shanks one into McCovey Cove, will Sam's Army have a section of kayakers to retrieve them?

7. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Do you think a signed, Hejduk-shanked ball might be worth something on EBay?

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It's not like they're hard to come by. Shoot, I found one in my backyard the other day.

9. Chuy

Chuy New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Thanks for the responses, folks!

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    you could walk up day of the game and buy tickets...

this friendly won't sell-out...

as to the cove, well you need to be on balco products to perform such feats

11. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Itd have to be one hell of a shank, as McCoveys Cove is beyond the right field fence.

12. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Emerald Bowl?

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgia Tech vs. Utah, December 29.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Please don't tell me we're going to have a soccer game on a baseball field with football lines. That would seriously make my head explode. Let's hope the lines have worn off by Feb. 10.

15. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    There isn't any football stadium in san francisco ?

16. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    If someone could do it, Frankie is the boy. He'll also send one out there with a viscous two footed tackle!

17. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    There is. Whatever Candlestick is called now. However, it really is a baseball stadium made into a football stadium as well. SBC Park is a better location because it's a glamorous venue in a glamorous location. It's also fitting that the US and Japan will play each other in a baseball stadium.

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The baseball-converted-to-football stadium, the home of the SF 49ers, is now called Monster Park, after the company that makes fancy cable for your audio equipment, not the online jobs site.

And boy, is it an appropriate name. It is scary. The 49ers are itching to tear it down and build a new one... but they couldn't get the deal done even after the voters approved $150 million, iirc. The proposal included a shopping mall development to help make the zillionaire owners of the 49ers even richer, and also so they could pay guys like Terrell Owens to preen in the endzone.

Unfortunately, no one is preening in the end zone for the 49ers these days.

Just think, with $150 million, San Francisco could have built a state-of-the-art soccer stadium, started a $70 million trust fund for AIDS research, and shipped the 49ers off to LA, which only has Southern Cal for professional football these days.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I was there for the BC-Colorado State game in 2003 and while it's a very nice stadium, it's 100% a baseball stadium. The layout and sightlines for football are horrible and I imagine they'd be the same for soccer.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game, too, and the view was far from ideal where I was (lower level, about 20-yard line, above 3rd base dugout), but I had no trouble watching the game. I think the club seats (2nd level) would have a great view. If Sam's Army gets its desired left-field bleachers, that should be as good as any behind-the goal view anywhere else.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Wow that's almost exactly where I was!! I was in the BC student section, didn't like the sight line at all.

22. Chuy

Chuy New Member

Aug 12, 2005
  23. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Looks like the supporters' section will be behind the 1st-base line (can't read the section numbers).

24. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Bring the US team to a city it hasn't played in for a long time...and soak the fans on the ticket prices.

Well the Hamburg Hilton probably isn't cheap during the summer.

25. Chuy

Chuy New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Here is a link to a bigger seating chart with legible section numbers:
    Large Seating Chart

Has the Sam's Army section been announced? I couldn't find anything on the sams-army website.