Soccer and a drug cartel ............. not what we need to see!

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by onefineesq, Oct 18, 2003.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think that post gets the award for most tenuous link to Soccer in the USA.

I think that, in the case of Colombia, Americans are more predisposed to blaming drugs than soccer for this incident. If handball were the number one sport in Colombia, I would not be surprised to hear that a handball team was responsible for laundering drug money. It's a problem with drugs in that country, not with soccer in that country.

US soccer has to overcome the stigma given to world soccer by the English and South Americans over the last 50 years for violence, but I think the average American non-soccer fan can figure this for not being a reason to ignore the sport. I don't think anyone was on their way to a game today, read that story and stayed home.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It takes them how many years to realize that the drug cartel owned a lot of soccer teams in Colombia.

4. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good point, Atl. Nacional, the other big soccer club from Medellin used to have "ties" with Pablo Escobar, but if America did have "ties" with the Cali Cartel, they wouldn't be in the financial problems they are right now.