Soccer America interviews Donovan

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by raindawg, Aug 13, 2002.

1. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Mod's, does this need to be merged?

Sean

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, merge it with the Soccer America thread!

I'm glad someone else agrees with me: "It didn't help I was in Germany, a country that isn't the most friendly in the world."

4. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    Germany does have problems. Every store is open for just about two hours everyday... the same two hours. The business owners don't want competition, so there isn't anything open (well, maybe excpet bars). Taylor Twellman had the same problem. Whenever he needed to buy food or something, he couldn't. I could not imagine being 16 and living in Germany.

5. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    where's the soccer america thread? :confused: did u mean the official landon thread?...;)

6. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes, I did. Very good.

Sean

7. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Restrictive store hours are a lame excuse. Most stores are open until 8 pm during the week and closed all day Sunday. Although it's pretty inconvenient if you're used to having Safeway open for 24 hours, it's just something you need to get used to. There are actually benefits to not being able to shop on Sundays. I found out that you're almost forced to relax at least one day a week as you're not driving to grocery stores/shopping malls.

I doubt that I am the only person who had a positive experience in Germany. It's always harder to adjust to a new lifestyle/culture if you keep telling yourself "this is not the way we do things back home..." Remember when in Rome, do what the Romans do.

8. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    The great thing about living in Europe were the bakeries. They had the best bread. It's so much better than the prepackaged stuff here. Things are more relaxed overseas. People aren't in such a hurry. They are a lot more polite too.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. There is much more of a human orientation, there. Top spots for me were England (particularly London), Denmark, Austria (Vienna) and Budapest (the last I definitely recommend). Sorry, folks, Germany, just did not make my list. I would like to add that the times I went to Europe I did so from another foreign country in which I resided for many years. I was in no position to compare Germany with the United States.

10. drnlm

drnlm New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    I've been to Germany a couple of times plus I speak German. It really isn't that bad over there, but it depends if you're in a really small town or in the city like Frankfurt because in lifestyle, there's a really big difference. In bigger cities there's alot of people on the streets and the shops are open for a longer time each day and on Sundays. In small towns the shops usually do open on Sundays but only for a couple of hours. It's probably really inconvinient when the super markets are open only at 3 3hr intervals each day. It's not as bad as people think but it's definately a change from what you're used to in the US.

11. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't exclusive to Germany! It's just like it used to be where I grew up and to some extent still is. There are many many places like this in our country. We are so spoiled rotten here in the US.

Lame excuse is right.

12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Still today, I can go to my hometown here in the good ole USA and they roll up the sidewalks about noon Saturday and remain closed till Monday. Sundays were for going to Church, visiting family, having a nice Sunday dinner, and relaxing. All in all, not a bad thing really. And hey, that county isn't dry. Some neighboring places you can't even get a drink on Sunday!

13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Oh, and I was really impressed with LD's attitude.

I wonder though if the uncertainty isn't playing on his mind quite a bit. He doesn't seem like he's mentally in the games since he came back from WC.

14. AntiAngel121

AntiAngel121 New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Bay Area (California)
    I looked at Borders today for that magazine, and they didn't have it. They had only 2 magazines of Soccer America, but they weren't the one w/Landon on it. :(

15. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how old were you when you were in Germany. I agree with "when in Rome" but it must have been a huge culture shook for a 16 year old SoCal boy to move to Germany with out his family.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I'm sure that there are a lot of us who have had the experience of having to leave home (even when you're older than 16) and getting quite homesick.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Boring article that takes 5 minutes to read at most.