SoCal Team (LA Vikings) - Upcoming game against Mexico WNT

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Katreus, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the info here: http://clioamare007.tumblr.com/post/14123584474/information-on-the-la-vikings-womens-pro-soccer-team - More spec. ticket information is in the link. I've just copied some information that seemed interesting. This team recently played a scrimmage against the USWNT.

Thought the team could do with some notice here as the team owners seem to want to take it into the WPS eventually. They've also got a fair amount of WPS players on the team and they have some upcoming games that people here might want to watch if they're in the area.

That cup's a year away but that sounds like a fantastic tournament if those who are interested in it actually come.

2. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    This is great. Thanks for the info. I live in San Diego, but my parents live in Fullerton so maybe I can go see some games. Pretty exciting.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Should this be in the expansion forum?
    ^I don't even know if the answer to that should be "yes" because I'm just completely confused by this.

The Vikings are a WPSL team that had the following roster for 2011. It's definitely the same organization as the one Mr. Robert Kleinberger seems responsible for both. It definitely wasn't a "pro" team over the summer, and earned less than 1.00 PPG to finish fourth in the Pacific Conference South Division.

A fair amount of the players listed for the Vikings in the OP are already signed to WPS clubs for next season, so I don't know what Mr. K plans to do with this "team".

The blog linked in the OP confuses me on several other fronts. I never heard that the USWNT was doing any scrimmages. And while it mentioned WPS a lot and seems supportive of WPS, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the Vikings are interested in joining WPS.
    ==EDIT==
    I just now found one tweet - one - mentioning the scrimmage. So I'm a little less suspicious, and now just more confused.

They also really shouldn't call the LA Viking Sup 2012 a "Women's Professional Soccer tournament" (all caps) unless they've gotten permission from WPS.

Methinks there's something shifty here....

4. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No? I don't know if they'll actually become a WPS team. More people read the main forums so it's mainly just a way to let them know about upcoming games if they care to watch since some of the games looks fun.

Presumably, due to the WPS offseason, Vikings could pick up WPS players to add to their roster that they couldn't during the summer.

... Apparently, he plans to have the Vikings play some games against good teams he can schedule while in the WPS offseason.

Jen Buczowski mentioned it, Kai responded to that mention (it's a very Kai response...). There's also been some footage out on tumblr and first person reports on the scrimmages.

Very short clip here.

(That's the problem when your league name is so generic!) I don't think they intend to say it's a WPS sanctioned event, just that it's a ... professional soccer tournament. For women. Still, they probably should change it just to be clear (although I'm not sure if the all caps thing is from the person who wrote up the intro post from looking at their website or from the team in spec.).

Oh! One other note. According to their website, the Vikings are playing the Canada WNT Dec. 14th, 2011 and Jan. 9, 2012, but unfortunately, both games are closed to the public / media viewing. Given that, seems like the USWNT game - it'll probably be more like a scrimmage.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks so much for the extra info! Am still confused, but much less so now. ^.^'' Repped!

That's a good point.

I guess this is the main point of my confusion. Is this supposed to be a one-off offseason thing?

I had done some Google searching earlier, and everywhere I've seen the cup mentioned, it's always "Women's Professional Soccer". A lot of journalists and bloggers have been careful to make the distinction between "Women's Professional Soccer" (WPS) and "women's professional soccer" (the sport in general), so the fact that so far I haven't seen that in this case makes me wonder....

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    and a fair amount of the players are also out of contract wps players, since a lot of wps contracts are one year contracts which end once wps stops playing for the season.

so he only has to find a contractual "training" or "loan" agreement for the ones still on contract and, combined with the out of contract players, put a pretty good team together.

it appears to me to be good, creative thinking actually.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Please don't start non-WPS threads in the WPS forums.

8. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    But, these are WPS players?

Anyway, pretty exciting. I'm going to the game on the 14th.

Here is an article: http://www.ourgamemagazine.com/?p=3577

Liked the part about Christen Press getting a shot by Solo.

9. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--