SoB 2012 Improvements

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by etsjay, Nov 9, 2011.

1. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pray tell, how has this been prove as a fact?

2. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, im exaggerating, but 2 seasons in 140, as a volunteer capo...unless we're playing Red Bull or LA, at least 70-80% don't seem to give a crap. I also caught a few matches from 135-6, and it seemed about the same, at times even worse.

the middle sections it seems have a higher proportion of season tickets, and so the people there are going to be more dedicated than the guy who got 3 seats off stubhub to get drunk and yell stupid shit and start fights because half the sections outside the middle don't show up for every match

3. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No need for silly platforms. We should wire the RE section and put some speakers in and one of the Capo's should start songs thru the speaker system (like at Borussia Dortmund and most Turkish stadiums). Check out some of those games; maybe someone can post a youtube flick how effective this is!

4. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been there, done that. one game last year. didn't work out well at all.

5. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just not true.

Fact of the matter is once you get out of the middle 3-3.5 sections, you have a much higher percentage of people who just aren't familiar with soccer supporters groups and haven't been exposed to that style of fandom before. You have a lot of people who have been going to baseball, football, hockey and basketball games their whole lives where people make noise only at certain times and rarely sing.

Just because people in your section stand there and stare at the one guy who is singing doesn't mean they don't care. Go to a Phillies game and sing Phillies songs the whole game, see who joins in. They'll do the same thing, not because they don't support the Phillies, but because it's weird.

Either way, I've been at the back of 138 and been unable to figure out what was going on up front, so the platform idea isn't just some kind of gimmick to get appeal to more people.

6. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did they wire the RE? No! They used lousy megaphones. Learn from the places where it works and use guys with strong voices who can get the crowd going.

7. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, there was a legit PA with speakers set up in the walkway in front of TRE. lasted about 5 minutes through the match before getting cut. I'd actually prefer a megaphone, but from what I understand that's not an option

8. Bdeniso

Bdeniso Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Michiana
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've never sat in the River End for a game, but down here at Texsa A&M football games they entire student body has a system for cheers called passing it back. Basically the yell leaders (Capos in TRE) will do a short 5 second hand signal sometimes a waving thumbs up, sometimes and two fists rolling, all kinds of stuff etc... Then everyone else in the stands does it as well so the people behind them can see what chant is coming up. within 5 seconds, everyone in the 40,000 person student section know what cheer is coming with only 5 leaders telling them with hand signals.

Maybe the Capos could create a hand system like this and work on getting everyone to pass the hand signal back to signal what song they will be singing. Gets everyone involved.

1 person likes this.
  9. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm, maybe this is the problem

10. SOBtonyage

SOBtonyage New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like this idea, but the thing is there are alot of people who dont even know the words to certain songs/chants. so getting people to learn the words first would be more important than teaching them hand signals. a major improvement in my eyes would be to stop letting non-SOB, stub hub ticket buying jerkoffs into the sections (aka people who dont know the words). i honestly believe that alone would solve most of the issues. just my opinion though...

11. TheSmoke

TheSmoke Guest

Um, in these supporters' sections, everyone sings. You sing or you get beaten up. Very effective :D

12. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One thing that may help, is finding some of the diehards in the back who can communicate with the capos. So when the capos start the backbenchers start as well. Potentially alleviating the need for the posters/boards.

Now, I admit I'm new to the SoB and have gone to the website and listened/read some of the songs. It doesn't mean that I will have them all memorized by kick off, so you also have to give some leeway to new people. I will still probably know a number of them, but as I don't have the exp in TRE that the rest do I will likely be a bit behind.

13. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nobody is going to be upset if you don't know every chant, just the fact that you are trying is enough. If everyone put forth even a little bit of energy into this....we would be un-stoppable.

14. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Danke. The leeway I speak should only be held for a bit though, I mean after so long that excuse wont hold. Then again took me a bit to learn some of the new parts of old football songs (bloody updates).

15. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so they aren't singing chanting or clapping but aren't part of the problem because they silently care....

Id feel better if they all held hands and chanted 'we care' because atleast they are doing SOMETHING

[​IMG]

16. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Must spread rep

17. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I say it wasn't a problem? Of course it's a problem. But the idea that every game a thousand people show up in TRE who don't care about the team is just ignorant.

18. ofeydofey

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they don't care about singing,they don't care about chanting, they don't care about tifo, BUT they do care about supporting the team. Thats wonderful...

There are 33 other sections for them to show how much they care without doing anything.

19. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And i keep telling you, there's a good amount in the other 33 sections who DO something, sometimes without caring

20. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I worry about myself when it comes to cheering. I don't think the evil eye and insults are going to make people want to get more involved.

21. GoonerUnion33

GoonerUnion33 New Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. I think ofeydofey and McRob are arguing cross points right now (feel free to tell me to shut up) while negating the underlying issue. That being how do we motivate those that aren't participating.

I think the evil eye and insults wont work, but talking to some of them may work, start with the people next to you and work your way out. Thats what I'm going to try and do if people don't appear involved in my area (though this is potentially overoptimism from someone who is a new SoB and to the TRE). Trying to get people involved usually works best with encouragement, not that a swift kick up the @ss is a bad thing.

22. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendee 1: Hey, that SoB over there is glaring at me.
    Attendee 2: Don't worry bout it. He just wants to butt rape you.
    Attendee 1: Wait, WHAT!
    Attendee 2: Yea, that way he'll get some noise out of you.
    Attendee 1: Well eff that. I'll enjoy it as quietly as i can.

23. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the issue, and that's what I was doing a bad job of getting at. Instead of trying to kick everyone out of the section that isn't doing what you want, you need to find some common ground and make some compromises. Throw preconceptions of "soccer (sorry, football :rolleyes:) supporters group" out the window and figure out how to make the place shake.

That's why I'm fighting the idea of "people that stand there don't care about the team/should leave/who gives a ******** about them."

24. ofeydofey

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

shut up :p

25. Husher315

Husher315 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Narberth
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that it's that peerless don't give a crap in 139 (given some don't, which is bound to happen) but mainly the fact that there is no section leader. It's always a volunteer like my friend Simon, or the times I've been in 139, myself. The fact is, there needs to be a section leader there. That will help a lot, also with the addition of a megaphone or signs.

As for an SOB forum on the website, I think that is a brilliant idea.