So who's going to win the final?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by FlashMan, Sep 15, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how much will they draw in Charleston?

Just curious to know what the "experts" around here think.

I saw the FSW game on Friday night and the Battery defense certainly looked impressive, but I wasn't that impressed by their offense. Of course playing in Rochester ain't that easy.

Thoughts?

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played Minnesota on Aug 31st and beat them 3-0. That with the Battery getting a couple more looks they should have buried.

Minnesota had a couple dangerous chances but our defense is solid.

Im going for another Battery shutout 2-0 to the BAttery

I'm sure the match a sell out. Lots of talk locally about the match already. A few of the guys I work with were saying they wanted to go and they have never shown interest before. I imagine they might have a special GA ticket for behind the goals if they sell out the seats like with the US WNT v. Mexico here. I'll go with 5,500 if the Hurricane follows its current track.

Go Battery.

Mikey

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is the final only one leg @ Charleston? I was hoping to catch a match here in MN.

4. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Finals almost always are in tournament play. FA Cup, US Open Cup, MLS Cup, etc.

5. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Here's hoping for a good turnout Saturday night. Thought the numbers last weekend would be larger.

I'll call it in favor of the Battery, 2-1. Always good for soccer to have the boys win it on the home pitch. May Isabel be in New Jersey by kick-off time.

6. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    The 3-0 win by Charleston was also nearly the end of a nine-day five-game road trip - so you didn't catch Minnesota at their best.

Nonetheless, no road team has ever won the A-League final, and while, as a Minnestoa fan, it would be great to break that streak, it seems statistically unlikely.

FYI - This will be the Thunder's sixth final appearance, and their fifth on the road:

1994 - Lost to Greensboro in final (shootout). May not have been in Greensboro - looking for info.
    1995 - Lost to Long Island in final. I'm pretty sure that this was in Long Island - but the USISL history site doesn't say.
    1998 - Lost to Rochester in their first A-League final appearance.
    1999 - Finally get a final at home, beat Rochester.
    2000 - Back in Rochester for the final, lose.
    2003 - in Charleston, result TBD.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A telling statistic. Odds not impossible to overcome (in fact, at some point a road team is going to win one...maybe this year?), but it won't be easy.

Makes one think the final should be home and home; otherwise, it just ain't "fair". Doesn't the MFL have a home and home final series?

Anyway, if Minn. was at the end of a 9-day 5-game road trip, I don't think that's a good indication of what will happen this game. The Thunder will be pretty well rested for this one.

But can they sneak an early goal and hold on from there?

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the Battery and Minnesota had already qualified for the playoffs as well. I imagine well see a different game on Saturday night. I mean this one is for all the marbles.

Still Charleston's defense is solid, our scorers are scoring and the midfield looks good. I also think our bench is deeper and I know the boys have great fitness.

I imagine Charleston will play its gaem while Minnesota will come out gang busters for the goal. If we can hold them off, and counter well, I'll stick by my score line.

There is a good article about today about the last match up here:
    http://www.charleston.net/stories/091603/spo_16battery.shtml

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Please, no home and home finals.

Play a championship game for all the marbles. It's more exciting that way. I can't see how being the visiting team makes it much more of a hurdle to win, even if the stats say so.

10. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    the only goal that minnesota has allowed in its four playoff games this year is a pk

their defense has been huge, and someone once said that defense wins championships

go thunder

bring us home another trophy!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    1994 was indeed in Greensboro. 1995 was at Long Island.
    It should also be mentioned that in 1996 the Thunder made it to the semi-final.

In addition, in 1994, 1995, 2000, and 2003, the Thunder were the higher seed but traveled for the final (the final site was pre-determined before the season started before the 1997 merger). In 1999 the Thunder hosted Rochester as the lower seed.