So who will they stick us with?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since "Screw the Crew" is the only sport MLS is really good at, which DC benchwarmer will they shove down our throats for the Gazza Discovery?

I'm betting it's either Namoff or Alavaja.

And at that point, I WILL burn Smithdrulis in effigy in the parking lot, along with my season tickets.

In fact, the signs would seem to point to Namoff:

The guy has barely played all year, and when he has, it's been as a late replacement at a midfield spot.

DC comes to CBus last week, and all of a sudden, he's a starting fullback. On the left side.

Yesterday? Did not play at all.

So it LOOKS (and as you know, I'm not on a hot streak) like they showcased him for Andrulis as a defender.

And with the deal done, you don't play a guy in case he gets injured and screws the deal.

So I'm betting he's who we get: a guy who can't even get PT with the worst team in the league.

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    well, at least we know who it won't be:

Convey or Mullethead...

3. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    MLS is the only league in the world where a deal could get struck that essentially equates Brian Namoff with Paul Gascoigne.

Whoever we get, it will be a bechsitter from the lousiest team in MLS.

I can't wait to hear how whoever it is will add "depth" to the Crew. Translation: will sit next to Warczyca and help keep the bench from blowing away.

4. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    what about a three way deal... you know... something like... they send us new englands worst defender for our first round pick next year and the discovery option, and new england sends the discovery option to dc for pope, who arrives in new england, shortly after the announcement that new england will recieve salary cap relief so that they can have eddie on thier roster.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OGHT, that sounds too perfect.

I'd say we ************ the league over and not agree to sign... oh wait, we have no control over that.

************ this ************.

So if we use our discovery spot on gazza and then trade him to DC, (stupid-ass MLS + stupid-ass Smithdrulis), will we still have that discovery spot this year for someone else, since Gazza isn't on our roster and never played for us?

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awww.... I should start copyrighting all of my ideas. Then snooty kids like you wouldn't steal them.

What about Perez+Option for Pope?

7. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    youre idea?

youre only idea in there was the option to new england for a crap defender. you said nothing about pope getting cap relief there.

8. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perez+option for Pope?

If DC really wants our discovery option that bad, how about McCarty + D/O to DC United for Pope and a top round draft pick (since DC will probably still be in the bottom of the league and might have a decent pick).

I should also mention that we have gotten over on DC in the past correct? Was it Andy Williams that we sorta stole from them, not that he ended up staying here for long..?

Or we all resigned to the fact that we will get screwed royal for this by the league or Smithdruilus or both?

9. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    The DCU board has a similar thread talking about the Gazza situation and the Crew discovery option...here is the link...

link

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Pope won't leave DC. He is the main link to the community there.

11. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Convey. I want Convey or scrub the trade... Convey can work here and their midfield will then have room for GAZZA. Who cares about Namoff? I hope you're wrong Bill...

12. Fussballman 7

Fussballman 7 Member

Oct 29, 2000
    Dresden, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will never give up Convey. I say our best bet is to ask for Namoff w/ Mapp. I think picking up Mapp would be good for us in the long run.

13. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    DC is not going to give up Pope, Convey, or anything of value to get Gazza for 8 games. You're crazy if you think otherwise. We could just wait until next year to sign him with our own discovery. The chances of salvaging this season are very low, so don't think we're going to mortgage the future on the chance of making the playoffs.

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    And Crew fans aren't going to accept giving up OUR discovery option to a rival team in our division, in exchange for a sack of potatoes (i.e. Namoff).

I'd rather the Crew use the discovery option to help their OWN team, thank you very much.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, unfortunately, that's probably EXACTLY what will happen.

Is it too early in the day to start getting rip-stinking drunk?

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

people were drunk for a WC game at 7:25 AM, so no, it's not too early.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortuantely, Jim Smith doesn't think like this.

18. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    After this WC, the answer is no.