So who are we? Silverbacks or Chiefs?

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by The Earl of Lemongrab, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Welcome to the party. You're a little late.

Yes ... because it's racist to have a gorilla, but not racist to use a fetishized Native American.

So optics are a problem, but not for minority groups who don't fit within your target fanbase? Well thank god for that!

You're a regular marketing wiz.

2. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Can those guys who think it is insensitive or even racist to use a monkey as a brand symbol or mascot please take a stance if that also applies to brands like A Bathing Ape, X-Large or Paul Frank?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apollos, FC, Chiefs, and Silverbacks all suck, IMO. Too many cry babies for Chiefs, Silverbacks is a mouthful and sounds minor league, Apollos is smoother but isn't even a real name... What next? Zeuses?, and FC is as boring and dumb as you get.

Go, with a real nickname:
    -Legion
    -Locomotives
    -Firebirds
    -Empire

LOCOMOTIVES
    -Eurofans can be happy considering that there are teams in Europe called Locomotive; American fans can be happy because it's an actual team name that is powerful.
    -History! Atlanta being the railroad hub.
    -Could be sponsored by Locos.

FIREBIRDS
    -Play-off of phoenix; the symbol of Atlanta.
    -Continues bird theme.

EMPIRE
    -Empire state of south.
    -Represents unity and strength.

LEGION
    -Unique, smooth, and still sounds like a soccer team.
    -Represents unity and strength.
    -Same word in both Spanish and English.
    -Can be played off of the "empire theme"

My choice: Atlanta Legion.

4. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too late, man. Time to accept the silly name and move on. Maybe we'll have a decent team at least.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have lived next door in Florida nearly my whole life and have never heard of Georgia being referred to as the Empire State of the South. Go figure. Guess I need to get out more or you guys are just trying to hard with the state nicknames.

Atlanta Goobers......mascot is a great big boiled peanut. Now that I can support.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta v San Jose...Goobers v Goonies?

7. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goobers? That's insulting! I much prefer Goobers FC.

wellington and AmeriSnob repped this.
  8. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you New Orleans for proving that there are no good team names that have not been taken.

Pelicans? Really?

wellington, IowaClone and eclipse02 repped this.
  9. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is normal for this sport. See also, Real Salt Lake, Tampa Bay Mutiny, Chivas USA.

10. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    The finalist for the new logo sucks. Now we are going to have to put our faith into the Silverbacks organization to come up with something better.

11. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I agree that right now a rather boring logo is in the lead but actually it's not all said and done. And in plain numbers, 600+ likes is not the pinnacle of internet love. But of course it looks like it will win nonetheless... meh! o_O

12. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about this awesome name, lol. Reál Boston Rams Set to Make PDL Debut...

[​IMG]

13. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I actually really like that particular logo--mostly because it utilizes to excellent "atl" wordmark. It also sort of does away with the gorilla in the logo, which all but ends any talk of the name being racist. Give it some polish and fewer stripes, and I think it's great.

14. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'd guess if the fan submitted logo actually wins in the end, they will exchange the wordmark with the "atl" they use on their current merch and website already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  17. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  18. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    That gorilla looks like it could be a sloth wearing a neck tie, lol.

This one would be pretty sweet as a secondary wordmark, but I don't think it's quite enough to be the main crest.

19. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    that is a terrible gorilla silhouette, they basically bought some crappy designers clip art?

i am all for using a gorilla silhouette instead of a cartoony or even somewhat realistic detailed gorilla ... most of the crests that have those look dumb.

but the best gorilla silhouette is the one from the slightly Serie A looking crest. put that gorilla icon on any badge and it would look better.

20. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    If you look closely at the face and the feet of their logo it seems like they did not even shell out the $299 for the design. The the face of the original design looks more like a gorilla and the feet look more balanced. Also, the legs in the original dont have that awkward "hoof". It seems that their "professional designer" simply stole the design, tweaked it a little and hoped nobody would notice. I found it so quickly because I imediately recognized it, as I came across that graphic when I was looking for ideas when I was drawing up my own logo.

21. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Just for the heck of it, here would be the logo with my ape in it... :cool:

Attached Files:

22. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    not your ape. no offence but your ape, while good (and i like the A shape), is too minor league baseball cartoonish (and reminds me of the Gorillaz). i was speaking of the other silhouette only gorilla from the up and down oval looking Serie A type logo.

put that gorilla in place of this clip art one and you'd have something.

23. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping this is over quickly, we end up with a monkey-free logo, and we can start talking team lineup, signings, etc.

brentgoulet repped this.
  24. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Not a big fan of circular logos, they don't seem to fit into the chest area as well as a logo that is higher than it is wide.

25. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yours was a really neat idea, and I'm glad that the designers used some elements from it in one of the final choices.

Also, let's not overestimate the skill and experience of the professional designers who whipped these up. They've got some really good ideas, but they don't seem to have a clear vision of the team's branding. If they did, we probably wouldn't have been forced to suffer through this "contest."