So, where's the hope?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revs in 2010, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I ventured into the gloom and doom thread and now feel like I need a little silver lining for the cloud that is the Revolution, here's a thread for the positives from this year and our hopes for next year.

Positives:

Alston, Barnes and Osei were all better than we expected. It looks like we have the nucleus of a solid back four for some time to come.
    We made as many international signings who actually played and played well (2) as I can remember in any season in the past.
    Mansally has distinctly improved from last year, since he was put on the left.

Hopes:

Our injured core players will come back and have healthy seasons (note this is a hope, I'm not counting on it).
    The team is encouraged by the positive impact of Osei and Janny this year and does more in the international market.
    In a backhanded way, not making the playoffs (should it happen) may make us more active in the international signing market.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're still doing the "You suck" allocation, then that might also help get a player in next year.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes:
    Joe-Max Moore takes over Mariner's job
    Philly takes Albright in the expansion draft
    Revs hire a full-time scout

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes:
    Wells is released once the season is over.
    Nyassi learns to put in a good cross during the off season

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, where's the hope?

The bitch is in St. Louis...

but I digress.

Since the beginning is Steve Nicol's reign in New England I've never once called for him to be replaced....Until now.

I don't think that Stevie is a bad manager, in fact I think he's damn good. If The Revs let him go his phone would be ringing off the hook from half of the MLS clubs remaining...

But, as close as we've come in the past we just haven't gotten it done! And if this move were made I wouldn't stop at Stevie. If I were Bob Kraft I'd remove everyone that's involved with soccer operations from "soup to nuts" as PM says....And we start over.

So I guess that's my hope.

In reality.....Stevie Nicol will be the head coach next year and everyone else will return as well...

:eek:

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes:
    - SN does not get to pick his assistant
    - Regardless who picks, the REVs get a good assistant with an offensive focus to offset SN (my perception of SN)
    - The Krafts re-define a successful season for SN to be "at least 45 points and make the playoffs." (Yes I know only Columbus is currently above 45)
    - They don't count on Twellman
    - Twellman is "loaned out" so they can find out in January if he can really play
    - If he can't play, that MLS/Krafts find an income neutral way for TNT to retire
    - Badilla, Tierny, Wells, and Albright go via expansion draft or trade
    - That the REVs pick 0 defenders in the Draft, violating the rule of picking the best available in favor of picking the best available at positions they need filled.

7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. I think I agree with every point you've made. My only quibble is that I'd still like to see what Badilla can do as a Rev.

Really like the idea of getting Twellman in condition and evaluated before training camp if there's any way it can happen.

8. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopes:
    kraft sells the club to someone who will give a shit and treat it like an investment worth investing in
    no nyassi
    no albright
    a true striker (to replace TnT as #1)
    TnT can get healthy -i'm not counting on it though:(

9. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    I agree about Alston and Barnes. They have earned another year of development. Hopefully with some competition for their jobs. Osei...not so much...he is just too loose on the ball.

I am heartened by Mansally; I think he showed a real ability to play in quality balls from the wing.

10. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, your hatred of Hope Solo is hilarious. Wowzers :)

Anyway, the hope...well, as a Newcastle United fan and a lifelong Sox fan (as in, I didn't start paying attention in 1999) I can always find some granule of hope. But really, the way i feel right now about this team? I got your hope right here...

[​IMG]

11. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I have my most hope, he's only 20, so he can still grow and be a descent player for MLS standards.

Nyassi also 20 years old, I still think he has potential but disappointed that he didn't improve much from the previous year. I would give him one more year maybe two if he's cheap.

I also hope that Thompson goes, nothing personal just business.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it is all down from here.

13. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes:

We won't be seeing a SSS anytime soon..so could they please just put the GRASS back!!!

And don't allow any passball practice on it..just games!

14. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Hope is so November 2008

15. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this what you had in mind? ;)

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's a recipe for success - cramming an assistant down a coach's throat. :rolleyes:

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's Hope
    [​IMG]