So when will we?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by 21st Century Pele, Jun 5, 2014.

?

When will the US be a serious threat to win the World Cup?

1. now

3.9%
  2. 4 yrs

11.8%
  3. 8 yrs

34.2%
  4. 16 yrs

15.8%
  5. 24 yrs

15.8%
  6. more

18.4%
  1. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    In 1990, we clearly weren't going to win the World Cup.

In 2002, our coach said we weren't there yet, and was right.

In 2014, our coach says we're not there yet, and he's probably right. (Although I hate going into any competition with any goal other than winning it).

So my question is, when will we be in a position to win the World Cup. The Cup has been around for 84 years. with 8 of those lost due to WWII. For the last 24, we've been building towards being competitive to win the thing. how much longer until we get there?

2. PS008

PS008 Red Card

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    We could have been a serious threat in this very world cup. Too bad the coach ate some bad brownies.

Mattbro and Private Entrance repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am hoping in 4 years when all our young German Americans gain more experience and all our American born players have been disbanded by Klinsmann except for Altidore of course.

4. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robots.

6. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ask myself this question alot, I'm 40 years old I figure I might have 10? World Cups left in my lifetime if I'm lucky. I would hope we would make it as far as the 2002 team at some point in my life time, and even farther than that. The tragectory is up, there is no doubt in my mind, but it will just take waves of quality to actually get there.

We need to get to the point where we have star caliber pros at solid teams both home and abroad who are not even good enough to make the team. An abundance of talent is needed, people who can score goals on a regular basis, technical player, great defensive players, all of the above.

A huge benchmark for me is will we ever be good enough to get all possible points in the final Hex. Both home and on the road, that in itself would be a HUGE accomplishment.

Private Entrance repped this.
  7. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    how?

i'm pretty sure this is a trap

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only eight countries have ever won the world cup, so i think thats a faulty benchmark. we were inches away from the semifinals 12 years ago (and reached the semis if you want to hop in the way-back machine)- i think thats an attainable goal. expectations of quarters/semifinal runs.
    we have grown to the level of expectations of round of 16, so there is growth, so say 2026? at least a win in the knockout stage, semis not a huge shock...at that point youre fate and luck in a single tournament away from as far as any team outside of brazil have gotten.

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2018 with our so called superior players we will make the semis. At least that's what people who keep trying to defend the Donovan omission tell me. All the players will have accents and the word soccer will be banned. As will the word field, replaced by pitch.

Watch out you AYSO/MLS Capri Sun fans. We're coming for you. The revolution is about to begin.

Mattbro, StillKickin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Using the semi-finals as a measuring stick: 4 teams outside of the 9 big teams far and away better than us (ENG, FRA, POR, NED, GER, ITA, ESP, BRA, ARG) have even advanced to the semis in the last 4 WCs.

Uruguay in 2010 has much more quality than we do. Same with Croatia when they did it. Turkey, when you really look at their roster and club affiliations do too and 2002 was just an odd WC in general. No Netherlands. Germany looked really awful the prior year yet they got to the finals. Korea's run. France, Portugal, and Argentina going out in groups. It was really open. South Korea got by as a host with some pretty dodgy calls. That and the guy who self immolated to become the magic 12th ghost player before they successfully beat Portugal, Italy, and Spain in succession. I'm not advocating that approach for any of our fans, btw.

To reasonably have more than outsider hopes of a semi, we would need to be as strong as Croatia or Uraguay. That's probably 4 cycles (or maybe more) away. I'm going with over 24 to reasonably have a shot of winning (better than say 10 or 12-1 odds).

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England is not far and away better than us

12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    At no point in the last 20 years have we ever been considered to be close to their equal. They're not as good as some of these teams but we would be very lucky to keep them from winning more than 5 out of 10 meaningful matches v. us. Outside of Howard, I can think of no one on our squad with a chance of cracking their core group of players on current form.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them or get an ugly draw here or there but we're not close to them.

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. They have a great hype machine.

14. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In terms of ability yeah they are. England are everyone's punching(especially among England fans) but, they are clearly better than us. We have never produced players on the level of Rooney or Gerrard or young players on the level of Shaw, Barkley and Sterling. Yes we drew them last World Cup but, that was the worst I have ever seen from England in a major tournament. They also drew Algeria that same tournament yet I do not think anyone will say Algeria is the same level as them.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Player for player England is better. As a team England is not that great. The US is always more as a sum than individual parts. England is the opposite.

CTS26, coachamurton and Matt in the Hat repped this.
  16. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put beyond 24 here is why. Lets divide the current world cup into groups of likely hood of winning.

Favorites: Brazil; Spain; Argentina; Germans.

You could see it happening: Italy, France, Netherlands,

Would be surprised but not like "bigfoot at 7-11 surprised": Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, England, Belgium, Portugal, Russia,

"Holy crap it's bigfoot buying a Slurpee": Everyone else (including us).

There are surprises in the world cup and anything can happen but it's always earlier in the tournament. If you look at the finals they are usually from the same usual suspects. Every final since 1966 has been between the 7 teams in the top 2 groups. So we need to move up two levels at best in terms of talent in order to be good enough to even compete for it, let alone win it. So as I have said in other threads don't expect us to win it in my lifetime. But won't stop me for one second from not supporting them.

Grumpy in LA and Mattbro repped this.
  17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The US has 23 players better than Landon Donovan. Thus, it's a threat now.

Grumpy in LA, Mattbro and FW__ repped this.
  18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Poll:
    # of times Schrutebuck has used this line on BS over the past 2 weeks:

This is the 1st time
    4+
    8+
    16+
    24+
    Approaching Infinity

I voted 16+.

Rooting for a few more still though. It doesn't really get old.

schrutebuck repped this.
  19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23 players better than the Talisman is still "Holy crap its Bigfoot buying 4 giant Slurpees at 7-11"

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I would estimate 12 to 16 times so far. I don't mind repeating the truth.

Hopefully Klinsmann can get the wins and/or PK shootout wins necessary to meet expectations.

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    As soon as we as a nation stop handing out contracts to Kobe Bryant. And Adu returns.

freisland and StillKickin repped this.
  22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    When Soccer becomes our "Football" and not a moment sooner...

23. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't see it in our lifetime.

24. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Have to start producing better youth players at home and stop relying on ridiculous college system. and zie Deutches. We need to have better academies, better coaches from Europe, and whatever.. you all know the rest.. i'm bored saying this crap. It's going to take years and years anyway, so i'm not going to sweat it. Just sit back and relax and have realistic expectations of this group. Japan has better players anyway. Michael Bradley isn't even as good as any player on the English midfield.

The hype machine over Adu, Green, etc. has made me cynical now.

25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England's vastly overrated. Their fans talk a lot of shit but they can't back it up.

England hasn't even won a Euro ever nor has it won a World Cup in nearly half a century. For the birthplace of the sport, that's really embarrassing.

If the USA Dream Team (basketball) had such a dismal record at the Olympics, no one would take them seriously, so why does anyone take England seriously with such a track record of "success" in soccer?

And even better, England's still winless against the USA in all World Cup matches played between the two teams.