So what is our lineup gonna be? Or what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Oct 31, 2003.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    NotAbbott on the Fire board thinks that they will throw this lineup at us:

G Thornton
    D Brown Curtin Bocanegra
    M Whitfield Marsch Armas Beasley Perez/Mapp
    F Razov Ralph

So how do we counter? How about:

G Warren
    D Petke Nelsen Prideaux
    M Stewart Kovalenko Convey Etcheverry Namoff
    F Cerritos Martins

Wild rationalizations follow:

- Stewart HAS to play right wing. We have no other player who can come close to matching up with Beasley or even Mapp.

- Convey/Etcheverry in the middle is our best offensive lineup (without Stoichkov who will be a sub).

- Namoff on the left is our best option out there as he looks like both decent defense helping out Prideaux and decent offense in linking the defenders with the attackers. Besides I'd rather have Namoff than Ivanov.

-A 352 over the 442 for a bunch of reasons:

- Etch alone stands no chance in penetrating Marsch and Armas.

- We need good defenders on the wings and Namoff and Stewart are our best over Convey, Q1, Q2 or Chino. Earnie and Bryan more than make up for the lack of a forth defender in the back. Those two can also get into the attack on a more regular basis than Ivanov and Prideaux/Namoff can in a 442.

So let's see some other possibilities.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think this is our preferred lineup if everyone is healthy.

IMO, I would rather see Convey on the wing and Namoff back at d-mid with Kovalenko. Those two can hold down the fort and push the attack, especially if Chicago come out shooting. They can stifle Chicago's midfield and then move possession forward. Besides, Convey and Etch sharing a-mid duties means that (more than likely) only one of them will come back. I'd rather see Convey's defense and speed be put to use rather than squander his talent in the middle.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    We'll get destroyed on the flanks if we play a 352. With that in mind...

Warren
    Ivanov-Petke-Nelsen-Prideaux
    Stewart-Namoff-Kovalenko-Convey
    Cerritos-Martins

with Stoitchkov on at half if we're behind or tied, and on at the 60' mark if we're ahead.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I had this in the other thread:

--------Martins---Cerritos--------
    ---------------Etch--------------
    Convey--------Dema-------Stewart
    -------------Namoff---------------
    Prideaux--------Petke--------Nellie--
    ------------Warren-----------------

Or if you want, you can switch Dema and Convey, but I think Dema is at his best in the middle of the field. Or if you are feeling really ballsy, you could go with this :

--------Martins---Cerritos--------
    Namoff-----Convey---Dema-------Stewart
    -------------Nellie---------------
    Prideaux--------Petke--------Ivanov--
    ------------Warren-----------------

Actually I wouldn't be shocked if that happened at Chicago, there is more speed out there, which is what would be needed at Soldier Field.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'll beg to differ.. KC arguably has a more potent wing attack than Chicago does and we handled them pretty easily in the second half last weekend when we switched to a 3-5-2..

With that being said though, this team hasn't played all that well this season in that lineup but that was for a myriad of different reasons.. At the time we employed the 3-5-2 (most of the early matches this season), Ben Olsen was really struggling offensively and we had no other options out on the left side who could play well..

I think a midfield of (from left to right) of Namoff-Convey-Etch-Dema-Stewart is more than capable of staving off the Chicago midfield.. Two of their midfielders are strictly defensive minded players anyway (Marsch and Armas) and don't get too involved into the attack..

Tonight is all about getting a win and I think offensively at least we stand a better chance surrounding Marco with mobile players with the ability to get forward quickly and also recover defensively as well.. I feel real good about the defensive trio working (Petke-Nellie-Prideaux) in front of Warren..

Don't fear the 3-5-2 my friends.. According to most soccer "experts", we don't stand a chance of advancing.. Just look at that dope Tino Palace who predicts a 3-0 road win for the Fire.. I don't have a problem with someone predicting a road win for what is a better team right now, but how often do teams lose home playoff games by 3 goals? Rarely if ever would be that answer.....

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I think the formation was more to blame for Olsen's lack of offense than Olsen was. wingbacks in a 3-5-2 aren't covered by an outside back as wide mids are in a 4-4-2, so they have to stay home defensively much more. The role didn't suit Olsen's skill set at all. Reyes is a player much more suited to that role, but he's obviously not available.

It's really about maximizing your personnel, and I don't think a 3-5-2 does that at all, unless maybe you play Ivanov/Namoff and Convey as the WBs, with Petke, Nelsen, Prideaux in the back, and have Stewart, Dema and Etch in the middle.

(and as for people who post 352's with two central d-mids, why even play a 3-5-2 and not a 4-4-2? It's the same thing really. Especially if Nelsen is one of the d-mids since he's really a centerback anyway)

7. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco has to play in this match. Period.

The best way to utilize him is in a 352. he can't hold the middle offensively or defensively in a 442. if you surround him with some legs, like dema and bobby, who both attack and defend you have a real good chance.

Ursula, the only change I might make is to put convey on the left, move namoff to d-mid and push dema up a little. However, your way is probably best since bobby and marco play so well together (i.e. end of last season...) which overrides (i think) getting dema a little farther forward where he can use his superb finishing skills for us :)

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I say we IMPALE him in LOT 8!