So what has Metro Marketing done right?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Michael K., Oct 30, 2003.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the interest of fairness, and also because the MFO people reading these boards (you know who you are) actually ought to know about the positive things they've done, let's come up with a list of things MFO has tried that have actually worked. Maybe I'm being too naive here, but perhaps by reading about the things that actually go over, they might get a better idea of what works and what comes across as ridiculous.

So pitch your bitches in the other thread, but see if you can't come up with something they've done right for this one.

For instance:

The bus trip at the end of last season - and especially the food and drink they laid on - completely surpassed everyone's expectations.

They did a pretty good job at the February ESC party with Nick and Bob, as usual.

The beginning-of-the-season party at Nevada Smith's was a good concept and well done overall. It was a festive time, mixing true-blue Metro supporters with people who may not have been Metro fans, but are soccer fans. It couldn't have been that hard to do, either; beer + soccer - the hard sell = a good feeling about Metro soccer and the MFO. How come we haven't seen more of this?

2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    I don't really think the first two would qualify as marketing. It would be hard pressed to find any marketing campaign that they have ever done well.

Phil Rizzuto on Radio ads in 1996. Muwahahaha.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just broaden it out into 'things that marketing/PR/the front office' has done right.

4. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    [cricket chirpping]

[/cricket chirpping]

5. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with the Never a Wasted Ticket Program if that qualifies.

6. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) McDonalds food and ticket packages. It got my eight-year-old son's attention.

2) Flex ticket option.

3) Last two games of the season package.

7. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Free parking passes for subscribing early.

8. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    Things done right:

1) Each game (home or away) being broadcasted in spanish radio.

2) The TV deal with MSG is better than in every other MLS city.

3) If you look around the advertisements at Giants Stadiums, it seems that they've signed a lot of local sponsors.

4) Harrison stadium. (this is the most important)

Things that are lacking:

1) More posters, schedules of games at bars, restaurants, supermarkets, bowling alleys, Port Authority, etc.

2) More gameday promotions in newspapers. (We see coverage of the game the next day, not same day in order to encourage people to go to the games.

9. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i don't know if this counts as marketing, but i am very happy with the metromemberships.

10. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Wow. I missed that. Is it nice?

Seriously, the PR department does (and has done) a commendable job based on what they have to work with and what they are selling. Don't confuse these guys with the Marketing Dept., it's two totally different things.

The PR guys have to contend with all the other pro teams, as well as colleges and even high schools who draw bigger crowds and have larger followings than Metro. That they can scam the amount of space in the papers that they do is pretty amazing.

11. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    Isn't PR part of the Marketing Team? Or at least, working for each other? I am sure PR/Marketing had a lot to do in lobbying politicians to approve the Harrison Stadium. Am I wrong?

12. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    You are wrong. PR is not Marketing.

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Why is this something they've done right? The games aren't even broadcast in ENGLISH.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Either way, the silence is deafening on the Harrison project. Other teams like Dallas already have more concrete plans in place.

As I said here a long time ago (probably 18-24 months now), the day I believe the Metros have a stadium of their own, is the day I can actually walk into the place and see them play. There have been so many false promises and let downs over the years about a stadium, I have my doubts that Nick and Co can get it done.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And since when are the two propositions are mutually exclusive? A percentage of the Metro fans is Hispanic and/or prefers the way soccer is covered in this language.....Of course an English broadcast would be a good idea, but the title of the thread was not really about that now, was it?

16. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I vote for the firing of Jim Leahy as one of their biggest accomplishments. Why not return to what works and do it again....

17. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Ok. I'll attempt to field this one.

How about when the person making the statement is making the point that the existing broadcast arrangement does not provide broadcasts in English?

18. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    The MSG coverage ever since the Yankees created YES is probably the high point for Metro PR/Marketing/Whatever. The pre-game and weekly MSR show are the most visible media coverage of Metro, anywhere. But I'm not sure how much of the credit should go to Metro itself - after all it was MSG that had gaping holes in its summer sports lineup and desperately needed extra programming once the Yanks left.

As far as Metro marketing goes, they're never better than just competent, and most times they're much worse. I can't think of one significant thing they've done to bring more fans to the stadium in. They must have done some semi-successful things. But nothing extraordinary. However, I need my fingers AND toes to count the disasters they've come up with.

Maybe we should blame Firmani and Caricola. The inagural match vs. NE and that day game vs. LA had huge crowds which were treated to utterly crappy soccer. That team provided a big hurdle for the marketing guys to overcome. Not that a competent staff couldn't have done it by now, oh, only 7 years later. But I'm convinced we really turned off a lot of potential fans that first year who have never even considered coming back.

19. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

The following are memorable - dunno if good or bad;

The taxi

Picture of metrodog in some fashion magazine (and the wonderfully edited one with his tail re-arranged)

The samba song - maybe Metal Mike can do a cover?

20. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I like the selections of the music played at the stadium before the game and especially the the "Entrance" music.

21. Ackala

Ackala New Member

May 17, 2002
    Washington DC
    I don't get to many games, living in DC and all.
    But I was quite impressed with the number of fans at "Korean fan appreciation day". The next day was a holiday, easter if i recall correctly. Granted all the 'fans' that were brought in cheered for the one Galaxy korean player. But hey it was a good attendance.

22. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    I would like to thank the team for passing out $10.00 dollar kohls' coupons at most matches this season. Thanks to this I now have 10 year supply of socks and underwear I didn't have to pay for!!!

23. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

As far as promoting and marketing the team goes I figure it's Metro's and AEG's problem not mine. As long as I get my tickets on time, and I always have, I'm more concerned about what's going on on the field. I guess I'm a bad fan that way, not concerning myself with how the organization is run, especially with information so hard to come by. Then again, I don't really care how any other pro team in the area promotes themselves either.

Here's a rez'd down version of the ad for the playoffs I got in an email from eurosport. It's not bad. I haven't seen those ads in the other thread anywhere except the Metro site. I do recognize the Metro turkey from at least 2001 but figure it's not aimed at me, at least I hope not.

[​IMG]