So what do you think?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 10, 2004.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R-news is reporting that the Rhino ownership is interested in buying the KC Wizards.

Any Rochester fans have opinions on this?

2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am interested in buying the Wizards. I'm also interested in several multi-million dollar mansions, a yacht, a small island in the south pacific, and a private jet. I'm interested in playing basketball with Michael Jordan and kicking a soccer ball around with Damarcus Beasely and Landon Donovan. I'm interested in curing aids, cancer and finding a virus for the common cold. Once you get to know me you'll find I have quite a few interests, but since I haven't taken action on a bunch of them, they're nothing more than that.

3. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Supersacstic but makes his point quite well.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but lets look at it this way. Just having a team in KC, Hunt loses money. If he "gave" or sold for a low price to Rochestor ownership then #1-Hunt wouldn't have to deal with the money losing venture #2-Rhinos get a team without paying the 10 mil.
    Just a thought, no need to tell me it could or never happen. But I am sure in your infinite wisdom, you'll waste some time with some witty remark.
    Happy Hannukah

5. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what the Rhinos ownership might just do is hang on to see what the going price is during the final, absolute, going-out-of-business sale. I don't see Frank DuRoss having the energy now during stadium construction to put together an investors group. We'll see!

I personally think having a team in middle-America is more valuable to MLS than having another team in the Northeast. I like the Wizards and hope for their fans sake they find a local owner. I also hope that the Rhinos buy into MLS in the near future. If buying the Wizards is the only financially feasible way, then so be it.

6. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    i think rochester deserve a team hands down i dont think a purchase of the wizards and a relocation is best for rochester... the rhinos have a strong history and link with their fans and i think its a slap to the face to all of rochester if MLS were to sell the wizards and then have them relocated to rochester.... Should MLS relocate I hope rocheter fans dont go to any wizards games and support even more the rhinos... the whole idea of relocating the wizards to rochester just show that MORONS who dont know any thing about this sport are involved in MLS.... The wizards should stay some where in middle america and if things are not working out in KC then maybe st. louis is a better option.. as far as rochester goes this is a team and an organization that is top class along with DC and chicago hands down.. they have connected with their fans AND HAVE DONE GOOD THINGS FOR THEIR FANS year in and year out which is why fans keep comming back stonger than ever and why rochester is such a hot market.. Why bring in some trash team that was unwanted in KC and say hey rochester welcome to MLS when rochester already has a team PEOPLE IDENTIFY WITH AND LOVE....
    and if MLS thinks that ROCHESTER WIZARDS will make people love them only because they are an MLS team is just a stupid Idea... Boston redsox fans have not won anything in over 80 years up untl now, yet fans love their team and if some national league expansion team were to turn up in boston and win it all the first year i asure you NO ONE WOULD GO AND SEE THEM and would care less..

Rochester has the fan base a team every one relates to and now a stadium why not just pomote this team that has out drawn mls teams year in and year out... some times it gets me mad that MLS says they have to think about it because the rochester stadium is only 17,000 and below MLS stadium 20,000 standard... Don let me tell you some thing you idiot. 17,000 in a soccer specific stadium is WAY BETTER THAN 5,000 at the Medowlands.....
    whats there to think... Promote this team to MLS and be done with it.. send KC to st.louis or some where else.....

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But they wouldn't be the Rochester Wizards, they would remain the Rhinos. They aren't really purchasing the team, they are purchasing a MLS franchise.

They would still be ran by the same people and keep the same name.

Or am I mistaken?

8. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I don't get the MLS allowing more that one group/investor to buy more than 1 team. Where is the loyalty to a team if they own 3 odd teams? (HINT HINT Mr Hunt!!!) :p

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Cause if you got your way MLS would have had 3 teams in 2002. It's not ideal, but there isn't more than 6 rich guys right now willing to lose money now while making a big investment. What's the alternative?

10. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah but where is the passion of the owners of the club. i mean if i bought a club it would be ONE and ONE only. sure joint investors are important but if you have more people then there would be more money! :eek: but then again you could lose it all too! :(

11. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    It would be a wet-dream to acquire the Wizards organization. Even if the teams remained seperate, they could inter-change talent, helping both orginaziation be competitive.

It would be great to see MLS in the area, but the great rivalry between Rochester and Montréal would be gone.