So what do we think of Cory Gibbs?? (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GCSOCCER19, Jun 23, 2003.

1. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Much improved performance from the Gibbster, seemed like he was much more confident in his defending and his passing was much better than it was against Brazil ( better then Berhalter's jeezzz )

Does this kid have a future with the team, is he a possible Sanneh replacement?? or is strictly centralized?? he has consistently performed in the Bundesliga and 2Bundesliga and looks like he is on track to Eintracht Frankfurt back to the big time??

Thoughts, comments ( especially from those who actually got to view the game )

2. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He is a stud with future on the team.

3. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    He is better than Convey, Lewis, Regis, Agoos, Heydude in left back... So start him when ever you have a chance. I want to see Gibbs at left back and Onyewu at right back.

4. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though he had a few shaky moments during this tournament, it was overall a good one for him. He really came on in the Cameroon match. Definitely worth a longer look. He could possibly be a replacement for Pope when Eddie picks up the inevitable inury.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He had his moments even in the Brazil match. Heads up on his future.

6. MetroStars

MetroStars New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    I like Gibbs, Onyewu and Martino to start the next two or three friendlies. Also good news that Cherondolo is playing better.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He definitely showed potential. Certainly physically he is fast enough, big enough and strong enough to hang at this level.

He needs to read the game quicker but he's a bright guy - he went to Brown, afterall - so I expect that will come in time as he gets more exposure at this level.

That said, he really needs to cut down on the turnovers. Some were 'cause of nervousnes and others because of inexperience but some were just him being too casual. If he wants to play in games that count, he's got to lower the number of turnovers.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked good. He needs to distribute better.

9. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    He was never a threat going forward, but was definitely more confident defending and rarely gave up a cross (though one that did go through almost ended in headed goal). His size, speed and general athleticism are a huge asset on this team of relative midgets. He has a future and just needs a lot of playing time.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I agree with everyone's assessments above for the most part. Good solid potential. Long term he is our guy. That being said if the US played a qualifier tomorrow, I am not sold that he is ready for the next level (i.e. intense pressure). He turns the ball over a bit, and needs a couple of more games to adjust to the speed of the game. If we have friendlies he is a must call in. Gold Cup, bring him in. But if qualifying started tomorrow, I don't know that I wouldn't feel more comfortable with Vanney out there. (I know).

11. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Vanney should be banished to Corsica forever.

12. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    He should DEFINITELY be a starter from now on. Great player with even better potential.

13. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Isn't Onyewu a big kid too? Or am I just thinking of Gibbs again? If so, we could use some height in the backline anytime we play Germany so I don't have to wince at every German cross or freekick.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He looked pretty good, but wasnt great either. Reason to be optimistic, but he hasnt earned anything other than another look at this point.

15. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Quite big. Around 6'2" and close to, if not more than, 200lbs.

16. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. He looked ok against Cameroon and seems to be settling in. However on Eurosport the announcers kept commenting on how badly he was getting beaten -- which I really didn't agree with. It's only his third cap or so, and I expect him to get better with more experience.

I would really like to see Gooch get a run out at the right back position to see if he is ready to play at this level as well...

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    With the Eurosport feed we have over in London, I find it pretty hard to follow individual players, but the announcers said, late in the first half, about how Gibbs was always coming up just short in his battles against his attacker (Eppalle?) which confirmed what I saw when I was at the BRazil game, where I felt like he also lost battles, but was fortunate that none of it came to anything.

In contrast, I thought his forward runs were actually pretty solid.

In other words, I guess I think exactly opposite of pretty much everyone here. Was I watching another game or what?

I think he's a player for the future, but definitely showed that playing in Germany isn't automatically making him better than MLS contemporaries like Boca...

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He did very well against Cameroon.

I also liked his size. He is tall and slim..... good with the feet.... also with speed!!! This is very rare for a defender.

His problems I have seen so far can be solved by experiences. You cannot coach size and skills at this stage.

Cherondolo was impressive in both games. On the second game, he was guarding his own Hamover teammate. So he was familiar with the attacker.