So, what are you teaching this year?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Iceblink, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have four classes this year (three preps).

1. AP language and composition for seniors

2. Honors junior British literature

3. Senior world literature

4. Another period of senior world literature

I'm actually really curious about what lit is in everyone's curriculum as well... but maybe that would clutter up the thread too much.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceblink=> could you elaborate on the reading list for "world literature" in this class for seniors; I am genuinely curious?

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, it's looking like...

third grade.

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I've got six classes. We're on an alternating block schedule. On A days I teach 3 sections of Standard English 9, and on B days I teach 1 section of Standard English 9 and 2 sections of Honors English 9. I know that I will be teaching a Shakespeare unit (Romeo and Juliet, though if I can fit it in, I'd like to do a second play as well). I'm pretty sure we'll be doing Farenheit 451 and Of Mice and Men as well. My copy of the curriculum guide is currently in a hard-hat area and I can't get it until next week (the school in general and the English wing in particular are under construction).

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For your benefit, we're spending the entire 40 weeks studying Mein Kampf. There, that should satisfy you.

For others...

Excerpts from the Bible, the Koran, various Hindu and Buddhist texts, lots and lots of creation stories from around the world.

Haiku, African Proverbs, Dilemma Tales from Togo (one of my favorite units), Siddhartha

Oedipus Rex and the Iliad

Hamlet

The Joy Luck Club
    other Asian writings

Metamorphosis, Always Running (by Luis Rodriguez), some more Latino and Hispanic literature

A lot of current world news and articles from approved left-wing, liberal sites. ;)

There's a lot of other stuff, but we're also getting them ready for college and working on final exhibitions... research paper... resumes, letter writing... all kinds of stuff.

6. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I really hope you're kidding. I had this teacher last year who seriously didn't teach a thing. She was the class adviser, so she constantly left the classroom, letting us eat and watch movies whenever we wanted. The days she decided to teach, she would just talk about how we're all going to lose freedoms because Bush won the election and America under Kerry would be a million times better. She's one of those trendy liberals, so 75% of what she said was crap. Seriously, though, you gotta be bi-partisan. If any of it is partisan, at least let it be "intelligent." Like, none of that, "The newspaper today said this and that so, yeah, my vote is better then yours."

7. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English. Sixth grade.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I were teaching that. Sixth-graders can be fun. They're in pain, but they're old enough to start thinking analytically, while still young enough to be intimidated.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Lemme tell ya, if your tough the first day, but show respect, you can intimidate seniors.

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2,073 posts, and you don't know the meaning of the little winking thing (which you even quoted)?

Are you ITN's slower little brother?

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... that is both sad and funny at the same time! Not surprising however! Did you schedule a field trip to meet Castro as part of your lefty agenda outreach efforts?
    Much better... thanks! I see you spelled all the book titles correctly; that remedial summer course must be paying off for you Iceblink!
    As part of your World Literature, I was hoping your reading list would include "War and Peace" but that would be far opportunistic I suppose!

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, it's official--IntheNet isn't a real person.

I mean, what kind of idiot would follow THIS:

with THIS:

'far opportunistic'? What the hell does that mean?

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At the college level, in addition to working in a library

One section of Freshman Composition, though we have a different name for it, every monday and wednesday after work.

One section of Introduction to Creative Writing on tuesday nights.

And at another college, Thursday nights will be given over to American Literature of the 1950s.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah yes. The verbal stylings of IntheNet, whom I'm beginning to think might be one of bigsoccer's "UnIntentional Humor-Bots."

15. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Fantastic book. Along the same lines, I don't know if you've read "Down These Mean Streets" by Piri Thomas. It's a memoir dealing with his being a dark-skinned Puerto Rican and the subsequent identity crisis, and growing up in Spanish Harlem. It might be something your students would enjoy.

16. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    Another good one is Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun by Geoffrey Canada.

I really enjoyed reading Always Running in my self-preparation for teaching in Long Beach, CA.

I'm starting a new teaching position in Lake Alfred, FL (8th grade science).

17. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Just out of curiosity, are these electives?

Or (and this is probably right, now that I consider it) do you just separate your four years of English between different styles of literature?

18. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, seniors are easy to initmidate. You threaten their graduation.

It's fifth and seventh graders who don't give a rat's ass.

19. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    In the fall at the college level

American Environmental History, part 1

Inventing the Self in Early America

Research seminar on the history of suburbia

In the spring

American Environmental History, part 2

History of the American West

Freshmen Seminar (basically the second semester of a great books course)

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inventing the Self in Early America caught my eye because we are just beginning to look for models of the self that might be useful to us with respect to analyzing some autobiographical narratives. Any (one or 2) key readings/people you'd recommend?

21. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latter.

Freshmen - Survey of literature
    Sophomores - American lit.
    Juniors - Brit. lit.
    Seniors - World lit.

We have some English electives too.

This year: African American lit., journalism, speech. I think that might be it.

I couldn't believe it, but there weren't enough people who signed up for creative writing this year. I'm guessing that's because last year, they assigned two of the weakest teachers to teach it. I was upset about that. I wanted it last year... and this year, we had a very good teacher with a BA in creative writing who would have made it a blast for the students.

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Interesting. We combine our lit mag with creative writing, and it would be fun, except I'm in journalism, so I can't really do both.

23. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sixth graders are great. I was in Elementary (4th and 5th) for 10 years, then switched to middle school. My first year there, I taught 7th . . . bad move. No more, never again. Sixth, however, as you said, is fun.

That said, I miss elementary school. 3rd grade sounds like a blast, though I don't know if I could go any younger than that. I did my student teaching in a 1st grade classroom. I loved the kids, but I knew I could never do that for a living. Yikes.

24. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Strategic Comm: Public Relations--1 section fall, 1 section spring

You gotta love grad school. :)

25. wings_77

wings_77 Member

Apr 10, 1999
    Waynesboro, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 classes of Social Studies in a Juvenile Placement. The girls I teach are anywhere from age 12 to 18. Mostly they are 15 - 17.

We have 4 quarters plus a summer session. the kids are there year round. Kids come and go. Some are there just 90 days and some are there up to one year.

quarter 1 will be Civics
    quarter 2 and 3 will be US History
    quarter 4 will be World Geography
    Summer Quarter will be World History