So...what are you reading (Vol VI)

Discussion in 'Books' started by chazsoccer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jesus! You're not serious are you.

Better not answer that this is the reading thread. Google up McGuinness and your find he's a well respected serious author who has been around a while..

2. VincentVega

VincentVega Member

May 11, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Much much worse....muchmuchmuch...much

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just finished The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, my first book on my nook, so that was an interesting touch.

But anyway, the second of the Heroes of Olympus trilogy, which I am enjoying much more than the Percy Jackson and Olympians quintet. Riordan's dropped the cutesiness of Percy Jackson and come up with far more interesting characters the second time around. It'll be hard to wait until October 2012 for the concluding installment.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This book had it's moments, especially about the hard life in the Alpine sector of the war. Did drag a bit and the author put me off with: "how the sniper had to get 'Upwind' of his prey/target." Well he said it 3 times and should have thought it out.

Does give some insight of part of the war you don't hear much about. It's allways been about trenches mud and blood.

[​IMG]

5. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
  6. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

re McGinnis-Is this the same guy who knew nothing about soccer but decided to tell the coach of a professional soccer team how to run his team. :D

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Basically it is Freakonomics but about sports. Just started but interesting so far.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Drama: An Actor's Education by John Lithgow. Picked it up at the library because the random pages I read seemed interesting. I'll be curious to see if I think it's as good as Steve Martin's Born Standing Up.

How's that differ from me yelling at Tony LaRussa on the TV in order to tell him how to manage his pitching staff? :D

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

World War Z, An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely an amazing book and probably my favorite Zombie book ever.

11. VincentVega

VincentVega Member

May 11, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WHAT IS THE WHAT By Dave Eggers

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Ty Murray (with Steve Eubanks) -- King of the Cowboys

13. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Lithgow book was a pretty decent actor's memoir, though like too many books in that genre, he overindulges in deferred name dropping -- that is, he starts an anecdote without referring giving a name until the end, when he says, "and that director was Mike Nichols" or the longest deferred name drop I'd ever read, 4 pages until he gets to "and that's how I met Meryl Streep."

Now reading

[​IMG]

Cult of the Amateur by Andrew Keen.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds really interesting. I don't know if it'll cover this kind of stuff, but I get into a lot of arguments with people in our local music scene about "the cult of the amateur." Some people won't go to any "big shows" because they want to use their concert dollars to support the little guy. I support the little guy as much as possible too, but I'm sorry, there's nobody in this town that throws down like TV on the Radio or Battles or Animal Collective. I think some people are ripping themselves off by experiencing truly great things (and they'll love these bands on record) by some sort of sense of "duty" to amateurism. Weird.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chapters four and five are about music. I'm not there yet, but that would seem to fit the drift of his argument so far. But mostly, he's going on about how the web promotes self expression over quality (my paraphrase, not his words) by giving everyone access regardless of talent or capacities.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    After seeing Doomsday Book touted in here a few times I finally grabed a copy from the library and waded through it this past week.

Always fun when you pick up a scifi book that was written almost twenty years ago isn't it. Present day technology has outstripped the future one in the book especially in communications.

She writes a good yarn though and the latter part of the book becomes really engrossing but man, all the peripheral side stories and interuptions drove me to nearly giving up early on.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally finished this this morning. Really enjoyed it. The last short story in particular dealt with dislocation from place, separation from people and destruction from nature. Intense stuff. Some really solid stories in there. Heck of a first book. Definitely looking forward to more from him.

[​IMG]

Now I'm moving onto this giant:

[​IMG]
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

19. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    A fantasy-adventure novel, White Staff, by Robert Thomas (which I helped edit) is now available on Amazon.

20. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  21. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    [​IMG]