so the korean player with the best chance to succeed in europe is....

Discussion in 'Korea' started by rapscallion, Aug 3, 2003.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion New Member

May 1, 2002
    so the korean player with the skills to succeed in europe is....

Lee Woon-Jae.

Ever since he took the starting goalie job from SuperMullet, Lee has been a very steady perfomer between the sticks. While I haven't really had a chance to watch him play in the K-League this year, match reports seem to indicate that he's continued to be in good form.

So what do you think? Why hasn't he gotten a little nibble from some European side? Does he deserve a look?

2. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: so the korean player with the skills to succeed in europe is....

He does deserve look and many fans wonder about the same thing. but the fact is he is already 29 and European teams only want young Korean players. Besides, Gk position is something that normally teams try to groom their own players from the youth academy. Woon-jae would do quite well over there but European teams are not interested. Now if he were as good as Kahn, though, that would be a different story.

3. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    so the korean player with the skills to succeed in europe is.... Lee Song-nam

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    The Korean player to succeed as of the moment:
    nobody.

we have enough kids in europe. Our U-17 squad is our first generation of kids sent overseas when they were young like 10 years ago. let them handle europe in a few years. Ahn Jung-hwan and Lee Cheon-soo should stay in Korea to make headlines. I'm getting sick of looking at Lee Seung-yup and the Lions everyday now.

5. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    down with baseball loving chosun ilbo~

6. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    communication is critical for goalies. I heard it's almost impossible for Korean goalies to go abroad unless they can speak one of their languages fluently.

7. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    i'd say lee yong pyo
    has the best speed in running down the side and getting past a defender and putting it in the box among the current korean NT squad... and i mean BEST
    not lee chun soo. not park ji sung

8. FirstSolidSnake

FirstSolidSnake New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Yeah Lee YP is one of them. I think that Seol also could succeed in a better European league (EPL, Liga) because of his physical size and ability. He also is one of the fastest/quickest fowards on the team. Not to metion his huge amounts of energy. I think if he can gain better first touching skills, and passing, he'll be a impact player in high level leagues in Europe.

9. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I went to Anderlecht fan forum a few times last year to see if what kind of discussion was going on about Seol. My french isn't all that good, but it seems like many people are unhappy with his lack of work-rate (not helping out when not in possession or in attack, and selfish).
    Of course I'm sure there are tons of people who love him. But at least from the web site, that's the impression I got.

So those who are able to watch him far more frequently than me, do you think that's fair comment on their part? I'm just asking. Not saying whether they're right or not.

10. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    Im going to have to say Choi Yong Soo would tear it up in any european league. I hate him on the national team and all, but maybe with a lot of training with his club team like he does in Japan, he could just dominate-just like he does in Nippon. Or maybe he just sucks. I hate him too. Actually, he just sucks.

I have a good feeling Lee CS is going to impress (shock) all of us - with some good skills, and a normal hairdo. His speed and attacking style seems more like an EPL kinda guy but who knows? cuz i dont...

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i totally agree... except about the hair

12. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

I dunno about being the best in putting it in the box. he does get it in the box, but he usually kicks it right at the defender's feet or goalie's hands. he has the best ball keeping ability though.

13. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    compared to how lee chun soo was playing in the WC... seemed like chun soo was aiming for the defender's head who was standing right in front of him everytime he would lob the ball into the box

and i correct myself... lee eul yong is the best when putting it in the box
    was ball skill wise.. lee yong pyo

14. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    the first thing you have to do in order to even get it into the box is beat your man. Lee Young-pyo is the king at this. His marked legs snap off trying to stay in front of him.

15. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    the "Hahk-Dah-Ri" looks cool, gotta admit. But i question its usefulness in actually getting past the defender. It seems like the defenders kinda watch him do the cool motions for a while, then when he makes a move, the defender is still ready.
    Young Pyo is successful and further going to succeed in Europe not because of his "crazy legs", but because he seems to have the mentality now. I think that's why i think Chunsoo is going to do well. You can't be too nice to the European opponents and also have to be a bit cocky and confident. Young Pyo seems very aggresive nowadays and doesn't back down. This is what i think will lead to their success in Europe, more than other players from Korea with the same skills, because the other Koreans tend to be nice on the pitch. Kinda getting punked?

ps. I really like the way i said Chunsoo and Youngpyo like they were my friends...

16. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i agree. young pyo is really a complete player. good positioning, handles the ball well, doesn't make stupid mistakes, tackls well, runs well, smart, quick etc. rather than flashy "magic dribble" moves

17. InMotion

InMotion New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    New York, NY
    The core guys in Europe in my view are LeeYP, ParkJS, SongCG, SeolKH and LeeCS. I think any of these guys could become, when all is said and done, the best overall. I agree with soccermoney's observation about needing not only toughness but a slight aura -- through cockiness or killer instinct or a 'don't f*** around with me' aspect -- to become that person. Pele may not have needed it, but how often does a Pele come around? Having said that, the five identified are great players, and each has the potential to be a top 20/top 30 player in Europe. ParkJS is a frontrunner in my mind, but I would not rule out Song, Seol or LeeCS. LeeYP is slightly older so has less time to work with. Unless AhnJH gets to reasonable team this summer -- he and PM/EP should pounce on any opp'ty with PSV at this stage -- I think he is too late.

18. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    i completely agree with InMotion
    it is great to see all these players in europe, but for them to get serious attention and money, if they deserve, should really working to move either to english premere league or la liga and have a great opprtunity to play in later stage of champions league...i cannot belive ahn missed yet another chance to sign with european team...people's attention span is very short and next year, there might not be anyone who will pursue aggressively for a 29 year old striker they have seen in top form two years ago...i think he has talent, attitude and high profile that are required for a star player...but it might be too late

19. otto

otto New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    The Belly of the Beast
    I think Ahn turns 27 years old this year. Unless you were thinking in terms of the "korean way" of figuring out age... I really wouldn't be surprised if that has and continues to hurt prospective Korean players from going abroad. Adding a year or two to your actual age is obviously way worse than any of the other mistakes Korean players/agents make due to not understanding the language/culture barrier. It's a really simple and stupid mistake but looking at some of these Korean agents, I bet it happens all the time.

20. juventusatlanta

juventusatlanta New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Atlanta
    While there are a handful of Korean players playing on European teams, the fact is that there has yet to be a player with the ability and profile of BK Cha, back in the 70s. That's 25 years ago. As much as Korean soccer has developed, that's a long time to not have a player of his ability. The flip side to this is that there are more Korean players competing and playing well in Europe.

I see this question as follows:

Best Player to Play His Role Most Effectively - YP Lee. For all the reasons mentioned. Left back is a role position, where you can make an impact if you can get forward and be constructive in the attack. He fits the bill and is as good as any at that position, bar 3 or 4 players across Europe.

Player with the Most Potential to Be an "Impact" Player - I think JS Park and KH Seol both fit this category. Seol can be as good a winger as there is, but can also disappear. He has the best individual skill of this group, IMO, and under the right system, has the ability to be an impact player. JS Park is in the same category, but loses the ball too much for my taste. He's different in that he's better in a role, than on center stage, but as good a player as Korea has produced in the last 20 years.

There is still not a Korean player that can stand on the pitch with the top 20 field players in the world, and believe me, CS Lee is not the answer to this question. I still see all of these players as role players, which is fine, but truth be told, there still isn't a Korean player that any top club could build around.

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, and there's the fact that most leagues place restrictions on the number of non-EU players on a team, and most clubs would see having a non-EU goalkeeper as a waste unless he was truly exceptional.

22. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    The main problem with Song is, he is being played out of position at Feyenoord.

I don't think he can reach his true potential until he's in a position he's comfortable at.

23. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Has anyone appreciated the fact that in this year's edition of the Champions' League, we're going to see an unprecedented number of Korean players participate with their respective clubs?

Lee Chun-soo will have a greater role now (I presume) after the injury sustained by Darko Kovacaevic this past Tuesday. His Real Sociedad are lined up against Juventus, Olympiakos and Galatasaray.

Seol Ki-hyun will be playing for Anderlecht as they are the second Belgian team (along with champions Club Brugges) to participate in the CL.

Park Ji-Sung and Lee Young-pyo will be in it with PSV Eindhoven.

I think all players will have an impact and hopefully elevate the prestige of Korean football even higher in Europe's premier (and arguably the world's premier) club championship.

24. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Lee Young Pyo. LB with his crossing abilities are a rarity in the world. Did anyone notice how most of the goals in WC came off of his assists? He crosses em in for PSV as well. In a few years he will be on the wishlist of the big clubs in Europe.

25. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I agree you're going to see an impact and the profile of Korean footballers will be elevated.
    As for the champion's league being the premier club championship in the world, this is indisputable.