Pre-match: So should Frank play back ups on Saturday?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Sep 29, 2011.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Back-ups.
    The Open Cup is our Precious, and we wants it.

3. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we start the first team, and they don't get full points, it could make winning the USOC much more difficult...plus, I think the backups will give everything they got to get 3 points...

For me, the USOC trophy is much better than a chance at the playoffs...and I know Frank wants both...but the best chance at getting both means resting the starting 11...especially after the hack fest on wednesday.

4. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a mix.
    Baggio and Chavez can start.
    Pappa can get some minutes to keep his momentum up.
    Sega & Pardo should rest.
    Pause should be good to play.

I'm sure it's been talked about, Oduro returning to Houston but theres more important things to worry about.

Yeah they're 1ish win away from a wild card but some magic needs to happen too. All 4 games are against teams who are in the race. Philly did their part yesterday. I'm sure Sigi will rest quit a few playing NE on Sat.

Whoever Frank decides to go with, they'll know what they have to do.

5. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    After the San Jose loss I was 100% Open Cup and wouldn't have cared if the Fire started reserves in the remaining regular season games. But the recent positive results have me wanting the Fire to play for a win in Houston, even though I still think the priority should be the Open Cup on Tuesday. How do the Fire do both without coming up short?

Whatever the Fire do, a little help would be appreciated. It'd be awesome if Toronto can beat NY, New England injures Seattle, Dallas beats Colorado, Vancouver beats Portland, and Philadelphia beat Chivas USA. But who do we root for in the DCU/Cowlumbus match? Maybe a tie would be best?

I fear that loss to San Jose is going to be the margin the Fire miss the playoffs by.

6. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I think resting Nyarko and Oduro against Houston would be a mistake (assuming Chicago isn't just throwing in the towel in favor of USOC) as they are the attackers I see Houston having the hardest time containing. Of course. as a Houston supporter, I'm all for Chicago resting Oduro and Nyarko, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regardless, I'll give a half-ass cheer to Chicago next week because gloating Fire fans are far less insufferable than gloating Seattle fans. Take that as you will :)

7. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ties between the teams we're competing with for playoff spots are best, so yeah, no one to root for in the DC-CLB game.

I think the critical result was that tie at home against DC back in August. Should have been a win given the way the game went, and we'd be ahead of DC in the standings.

8. chitownboi

chitownboi Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago
    No the reason the Fire wont make the playoffs is because they won 2 games in the 3 months(or something like that).

I dont even see how this is kinda of close. We have a chance to win our 5th Open Cup and tie the record for most ever, and we also get to play in Champions League. Its quite simple imo.

9. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason it's close is that MLS Cup is a bigger deal than the Open Cup . . . considerably bigger. I've always loved the Open Cup. I like the extra meaningful games to go to and I like the fact that we've had more success in the tournament than anyone else in the league. That doesn't disguise the fact that the entire season is focused towards positioning yourself as well as possible for the postseason.

And the way the team has been playing, we actually seem to have a realistic chance at making the playoffs (as bad as things were early in the season). With the exception of any players who are overly fatigued and/or injured, I don't see the need to throw away the game in Houston. Play most of the starters from the start, but maybe start the subbing a bit earlier than normal. That's what I'd do.

10. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only players I would rest for the Final are, Grazzini, Pardo, Oduro, Nyarko, Gibbs, Sega, Gargon, and Pappa...and Pause.

So, what would your starting lineup be?

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grazzini - Bone
    Pardo - Husidic
    Oduro - Nazarit
    Nyarko - Pineda
    Gibbs - Cuesta
    Sega -Banner?
    Gargon - Videira
    Pappa - Chaves
    Pause - Paladini

How about that, not what we will see, but I would not mind seeing those changes.

12. If we play some (or a lot) of our bench guys today, do we have enough bodies to do the reserve game tomorrow?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not real up to speed on the reserve side. I don't think we have that many players on our roster, and if I thought I remember reading somewhere that players can only play 90 minutes total between the league game and the reserve game. Is that right?

As long as that is covered, I'd say rest at least some of the starters. If our bench guys could to the unthinkable and secure three points against Houston, and we could steal the Open Cup out of Seattle's grubby little paws, I don't see how the team could fail to ride that momentum into the playoffs.

Then again, this being chicago and all, it's not hard to imagine losing today with subs, and losing with our regulars in Seattle... Glad I'm not Frank.

13. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. "Must spread rep."

14. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's perfect.

15. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank's got a tough job indeed...but as long as he listens to us he'll be fine...

As far as the reserve game goes, I would start Conway...just Conway.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a few players that can play in the reserve league but not on the league/open cup.

But you are right, we probably see most starters with just the vets sitting this one down.

17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think academy kids can play in reserve matches so fly a few of them down.

18. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Saw on Twitter that academy guys were in fact on the plane to Houston.

19. Tweed Thornton

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago
    From JefeCrandall:

"Some guys from the #cf97 Academy flying down with us... "Man these guys are young," says Team Admin Ron Stern."

"Along with the Academy players, one @Kwamekazi will join the team in Texas again for Saturday's Reserve match vs. the Dynamo. #cf97"

20. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    A nice mix I can live with:

Fire XI: Johnson
    Videira, Anibaba, Gibbs, Segares
    Pause, Paladini, Husidic
    Bone
    Chaves, Oduro

21. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Thanks for resting the guys Frank! Chaves is due to score.

22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half of them are in the starting lineup.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D:D:D

Not fair you told Frank who to play.