So SEARCH is still BROKEN?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by NorthBank, Jun 4, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't use Search often but when I've tried use it in the last several months (or maybe longer) it seems to be broken.

Today's example: When I go to search for posts made by a certain user, it returns the first page of results (and the URL is https://www.bigsoccer.com/threadloom/search). But when I click "2" or "Next" then it just gives me some kind of BS home page (and the URL is changed to https://www.bigsoccer.com/threadloom/#)

upload_2018-6-4_9-21-9.png

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you be more specific, giving who/what terms you are searching for?

Also, what browser/OS/device are you using?

I ask as on Chrome, Win 10, desktop I am having no problems (have done quite a bit of searching recently).

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that feedback... you helped me consider a different angle.

I generally use Chrome, and on various machines (Windows 7 & 10). I never had this problem in years past but I do now, so it seems that something changed within the last year or so, which caused a conflict with my browser environment.

And I've just found what triggers this problem on the front-end: AdBlock Plus! (Chrome Extension)

When I disable ABP, then BS searching works as it should, but when I enable it, I get the originally reported problem.

Which begs the questions:

1) What caused the incompatibility? Change to ABP? (I have a recent version) Or change to BigSoccer server software?

2) I don't want to whitelist BigSoccer for ABP because then I'd be laden with ads, but maybe I could somehow just whitelist the Search URL?

3) Do any other BS users use Chrome with a different Ad-Blocker which allows Search to work normally?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird - I have ABP with no issues. Do you have any exceptions/scripts within ABP?

NorthBank repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same problem on 2 Windows computers, both with latest Chrome 67.0... both with ABP 3.1... both with same filters. Hmm, filters... let me check into that, because I recall adding a filter or two along the way...

Sure enough! I had one filter called "EasyPrivacy" and when I disable that, the problem goes away!

For the record I also employ these filters: Malware Domain, Fanboy's Social Blocking List & EasyList,

@soccernutter what filters are active in your Chrome? Also, who is Jodi Emerson? And lastly, thanks for inducing me to think outside the box a bit. :)

fatbastard and soccernutter repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - I have zero filters. I have found that it is a pain in the butt with the various websites I visit having to enable or disable.
    2 - She is my cousin running for state office. Family support and all that, but we also have a similar view of the world. Post November election I will be back to my normal Tigger.

NorthBank repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a little OT, but I'm still wondering for other AdBlockPlus users, what particular filters people use? With the 3 I listed above, I've noticed that just within the last days or week, that more banner ads are slipping in, including while on BigSoccer where I was previously getting zero.

p.s. Even when I re-enable the 4th filter "EasyPrivacy" those banner ads still get through.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is strange. You must have some other configuration as I get no banner ads with ABP using no extra filters, and it works well across the interwebs. Do yo have any site adviser or safe search add-ons? What AV do you have? Wondering if there are any conflicts...

Do you have any issues with other websites?

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes other websites like WebMD are showing ads.

I noticed that ABP icon was missing in Chrome so I restarted the browser, thinking that would fix it. The ABP icon is showing again, with the little # showing how many ads were blocked. But still some ads display (banner, side bar, etc). The weird thing is that within BigSoccer I don't get them all the time, just occasionally.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any issues with YouTube?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction (and I'm an idiot), I do have EasyList enabled. Additionally, though, do you have "Allow nonintrusive advertising" on your filter list?

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I do NOT have "Allow nonintrusive advertising" turned on. In fact I don't even see that... is it a filter itself like EasyList?

Also, I have "Allow acceptible ads" turned off, under General.

And lastly, in YouTube, I don't seem to see any ads.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try turning on "Allow nonintrusive advertising." There are adds supposed to be allowed, but I rarely see any, and none on BS.

YouTube seemed to be the sign of an issue (according to the interwebs).

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, I don't see "Allow non-intrusive advertising" at all. Can you say where that setting is found in your ABP options?

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2018-6-12_18-9-46.png

Also, from their website:

https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

How can I see what you are allowing?

The Allow nonintrusive advertising checkbox simply adds one more filter subscription to your list. You can view the filters here. Also, the special treatment of this filter subscription - which was added for reasons of usability - can be disabled by going to "about:config" and changing the extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox preference to false. This will allow you to view the filters for this subscription as usual.

Does this help?

Attached Files:

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so that makes it seem that "Allow nonintrusive advertising" is just another filter in the list. But I notice that you have that list turned OFF. So even if I knew how to add that filter (which I don't) I'm not sure why turning it ON would help me, when you're having good results with it being OFF.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it is active (auto - can't turn it off).

My thinking is that ABP is reading the adds differently without the "Allow nonintrusive advertising." Further, I the word I used was incorrect. When I said "turn on," I mean "add." That is not something I have figured out how to do (spent a bit trying to figure that out).

NorthBank repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha! Sorry I misread your screenshot. I now see that it's Active and with no slider to turn it off.

If I can figure out how to add that list, i.e. the URL, then maybe I'll try your theory.

And thanks for spending all this time thinking about my problem! :geek:

soccernutter repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. The BS biggies are probably not thrilled...

With that said, and since we are down the rabbit hole, on the ABP option page, select the General tab and make sure the "Allow Acceptable Ads" is checked. Not sure if that will help, but trying to mimic what I have.