So, pro-war Americans/BigSoccerites...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Century's Best, Apr 18, 2006.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about being stuck in an airplane on a transatlantic trip next to a person who's having problems with gas?

Well, maybe it is not quite as bad as war, but it's pretty bad.

2. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Who said the plan- by the insiders who make the plan- was ever to "win" this war? Anyone should have known that occupying Iraq was not a route to "winning".

We've got some nice military bases set up, we can observe our opposition much more closely- if Congress doesn't pull the US out, I think the plan was to be there indefinitely.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Willfull stupidity and self-delusion are WORSE than a military action the puts an end to genocidal policies, the use of a nerve gas on your own people, mass graves, abbatoirs that double as torture chambers, and prisons that make Gitmo look like the Augusta National Golf Club?

Ya think?

You know, you oughta consider selling your moral compass on E-Bay. It could fetch millions.

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    On this one, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on a flight from Fort Lauderdale to St Louis recently where a poor old man kept shitting his pants.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it worse to keep a terrible demon in check, or to kill the demon, but spawn 100 mini-demons?

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't your favorite writer, whasshisname, pretty well discredited by now? Steven Hayes ??

8. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
  9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, good thing we also freed those people in the Sudan. And North Korea. And the dozen other countries with oppressive, homicidal governments. Clearly human rights are foremost on our agenda.

This is not actually satire. Pro-war!

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    That's what I am leaning toward as well. Add to that if, and I stress if, there is a plan to break up Iraq then what could be better than letting them kill each other for a few years, and by that time, we can all raise our hands in the air, and collectively reach the agreement that these people just can't get along, so let's divide and seperate them. How long can we stand by and let these people kill each other??? ;)

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But the split can't happen because it would result in war and ethnic clensing in an attempt by each side to control oil-rich areas. And that means we can't get that wonderful oil out of Iraq. Which I have said all along is a good enough reason to go to war in and of itself. And I was also quite pleased that Rumsfeld's plan to invade without any burning of oil wells worked out so well. I wasn't sure it was possible.

Yes, I was representing on the pro-war tip before it was the style as well! I am quite the trend setter.

13. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    One thing that helps in grasping the mentality of many "pro-war" Americans is realizing that they don't actually care much about the conduct or outcome of the war. This is clearly demonstrated by their unwillingness to criticize the obvious incompetence and corruption that have jeopardized the war effort itself, and done great harm to the future of Iraq and its people.

What they do care about is maintaining a fantasy world in which George W. Bush is this generation's Winston Churchill, and in which supporting Bush makes you a brave soldier in a glorious crusade. As long as they can keep that belief intact, the actual war itself is pretty much irrelevant.

14. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    George is influenced by the likes of current World Bank President, Paul Wolfowitz, but I don't blame either of them. Call me an idealist, but I believe agressive foreign politics, idealogies such as the reverse-domino theory, are rather effective in protecting the US hegemony. Of course, I understand that this argument is flawed, hypocritical and whatnot (even I don't want to believe it) but can we really blame a country that seeks world domination and to maintain it?

Remember, the Cold War ended only 20 years ago. The US had a brief 20 years (or some would argue 50, after the WW's) of glory and she wants to keep it that way. I doubt it will happen but schucks. Whatever goes.

15. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

... and China and Saudi Arabia. Oh, wait. Nevermind. They are holding our debt.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    These are the relevant questions that need to be answered . . . .

. . . . in about February 2003.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Quick?

You have hit on one of the major shortcomings of this administration. They are so f'in slow to act. We have seen it after the Tsunami. We saw it after Katrina. We have consistently seen it in different contexts of this war.

The "conclusion" that you reference should have been reached before we started a war. Premptive wars are incredibly dicey issues for a country like ours.

Here we sit three years after the start of the war, and there is still no clear picture of why we went in other than to free the Iraqi people. That would not have been enough to sell this to America in 2003, and is likely a big part of why bush's support for the way he has handled Iraq is in the tank.