So now what? '16-'17 off-season thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SabreKhan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Knows MLS and CCL and is a good fit for Oscar's system. If Diaz comes this year back he makes an ideal backup.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  2. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, for us non Spanish speaking minions ....

5. Rufiolo

Rufiolo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the reliability of the source, it says Maxi is going to be announced as a Barcelona (Ecuador) player in the next few hours, that it is a done deal, but the article is from December 30...

6. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As of right now, it's just a rumor.

It's been a rumor for a couple of weeks, but it's a rumor that just won't go away.

This is the first time the rumor has actual contract details. 1 year loan, with an option to buy.

The rumor is that it is all but a done deal.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I sort of grasped what it said but not the details. I hope maxi doesn't go even if we get a new great forward. I love his attitude and hustle and he's a perfect backup who can finish off games or work with another forward in two forward formations. His hustle is contagious.

TheZo repped this.
  8. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    100% agree.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. In order to let Maxi go, we must have a #9 lined up they think has the potential to be better than Maxi.
    I really, really like what Urruti has done for this squad. He's given everything. However, he'll never be the elite goal-scoring forward we need in order to be legitimate MLS Cup contenders. Not to mention the CCL, which it sure seems like the club is gunning for.

I was of the opinion that we needed another forward prior to this, though. So if we let Urruti go, we actually need two forwards to compete with Akindele. [I think Craft is going to compete for playing time on the right wing............and I don't know about Bonner.]

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way FCD wouldn't spend this kinda money on a transfer. However, a team "interested in a loan" sounds like FCD :)!!

11. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Beat me to it. It's the exact thought I had.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's more of a winger than a forward, right? A small little guy. 5'5".

I'd take him in a heartbeat, but he's not the "#9" we're looking for.

We may have salary cap space (depending on the Castillo situation) for both Quintero and the #9. But we only have one DP spot open (again, depending on the Castillo situation), and I suspect Quintero would be a DP.

Could we bring in Quintero and trade within MLS for a #9.............................like say Juan Agudelo?

13. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    True, but he's basically Castillo with much better aim, consistency, and experience.
    Papi likes players who have position flexibility, and Quintero can play anywhere in the attacking 3rd.
    So yeah, FCD is probably the 3rd team interested in him.

A word of warning.
    Mexican media claims that the real reason Quintero is on the outs, is that he has been a terrible locker room presence.
    Consistently fighting with teammates and coaching staff.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In Papi I trust................with regards to the locker room stuff. I don't know.

We've already got wingers in this team, and we've already got our AMC situation taken care of with Morales bridging to Diaz. Granted......................I've never seen Lamah play. I mean, Lamah is a former EPL/La Liga player that's been capped multiple times by Belgium. In theory, he fills the Castillo hole.

It just seems to me that what this club REALLY NEEDS isn't a player like Quintero. It needs their version of a "#9." [I'm not saying anything novel there. Everybody thinks that.] And that doesn't need to be a big name. Ola Kamara came in at Columbus and immediately became a goal-scorer. Fenando Adi was brought in from the international soccer scrap-heap. I could go on. Oh..........Bradley Wright-Phillips wasn't a big name when he was brought in. He was brought in on a pretty minimal salary. All those guys are within the top 7 in goals last season.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm kinda late to this one, but I don't see any reason we should need Aubrey David back. One can argue that we're currently three deep at both fullback positions (Figueroa/Chala/Hernandez on the left; Salvaterria/Cannon/Harris on the right. With Hollingshead thrown in there somewhere.) Come to think of it, I don't know what Hollingshead's role is going to be next season now that we've made all of these off-season signings.

I guess Aubrey could be considered depth all across the backline..................but do we really need to use an international slot on that?

16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's his positional flexibility and proven production that I like.
    I don't know how many international slots FCD has, so that could be a deal breaker.
    Also, as a T&T national team member, he's a player that's likely to miss time when he's most needed.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would just prefer that we give the minutes that Aubrey got last year to our homegrown players (Hernandez, Cannon, Guillen).

18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Agreee, but we need another CB.
    Cannon is not a CB, and while Hernandez can play CB, he's too foul prone to be reliable at that position (or any)

19. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    816699653546790912 is not a valid tweet id

Happy to hear

VivaIslamico repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ives' first Mock Draft was released today:

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/01/sbi-2017-mls-mock-draft-version-1-0

He has us selecting a CB with our first round pick (Jordan Wilson of Kentucky; formerly of Rangers' academy and Scottish YNTs).

That kinda signing makes sense for us in that part of the draft, unless we can package a bunch of our picks to move up.

21. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #222 El Chico Carmona, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    I like the mock pick, but would prefer Francis Devries, who won a couple of PDL titles with the Michigan Bucks.

I'd like them to move up for Brandon Aubrey, Texas boy out of Notre Dame.

I'm of the opinion that i would like FCD to trade most of their picks this draft, for picks in next year's superdraft.
    If FCD 2 becomes reality next season (as rumored), having a stockpile of draft picks, would be ideal.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We should basically think of Reggie Cannon as a 1st round level talent. If we keep all of these picks, we're basically drafting players for OKC this season.

I also have no clue why an MLS club would trade one of their top 10 picks (basically where the impact players are) for a whole bunch of lower round picks and a low 1st round pick. Maybe we can get Brandon Aubrey at 7-10, but why would a club trade down to 18? I don't know.

I also like Odoi-Atsem out of Maryland, but don't see how he'll be available to us.

TDS' mock draft has us taking a forward out of Delaware, Guillermo Delgado. He's Spanish, so we'd have to use an international roster spot on him.
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2017-mls-mock-draft:-version-10_aid41263

TCS35 repped this.
  23. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

24. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin