So now what? '16-'17 off-season thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SabreKhan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key to the Cowboys is they think (by this I mean Jethro thinks) they have the best staff for appraising players. That staff consists of Jethro himself. Recent article in Sports Illustrated focused on Stephen Jones, whose main job seems to be keeping his father from doing stupid things.
    The Fire is a mess because their owner is a mess and doesn't seem to care about the team.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don't understand sports owners who don't care at all about their team. Obviously some teams will have to be bad unless everyone ends up tied but there should be ebbs and flows. An owner who always has bad teams and usually bad attendance makes me really wonder why they have a team. Mad at the community?

3. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #278 El Chico Carmona, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    FCD has 4 picks in today's draft.
    3 picks in the 3rd and 1 in the 4th.

I know that the popular belief, is that FCD will make picks for OKC Energy today.

Not so fast!

FCD still have needs, and I expect several of the picks to reflect those needs.

3rd GK is still very much a need, and with 2 of the top 6 players still on the board, I won't be shocked if 1 GK is drafted today.

Big Forward, and by this i mean Bonner's spot. I expect FCD to pick one of the 4 remaining top 10 forwards today.

Defensive Mid. - Hayes is more of a jack-of-all-trades player, and there's still plenty of talented Midfielders left.

Backline depth, still plenty of backline players available, with 4 of the top 6 Left Backs, still on the board. Another LB? Sure, why not?

Any more teenagers left on the board? I only ask, because we don't have enough youngsters on the team (i kid, i kid Lol).
    But seriously, won't be shocked if FCD drafts another teenager.

Any of the players drafted today, will have the longest of odds to make the team, but I'm all for FCD shaking every tree and looking under every rock.
    You never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At this point I think you go high risk, high reward. Kinda like Adonijah Reid was.

There ARE no roster spots left. With Colman and the 1/2 round draft picks coming in....................we're already at 30 players. So we're loaning players out as it is.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  5. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is true.
    Anyone drafted today is most likely only for preseason competition.
    Still, I'd like to point out that the only player left on the roster from last years draft (once the Pitter release is official), was drafted in the 3rd round.

6. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Austin Ledbetter
    Dakota Barnathan
    Wuilito Fernandez
    Marci Carrizales (former FCD Academy midfielder)

A lot of teams passed in these rounds, like a lot, so FCD pretty much got whoever they wanted.

7. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Actually, not a lot of teams passed, the list i looked at had a lot of omissions.

8. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Which leads me to the question - Do we have the depth to play a rotational squad?
    One of the best things about Dortmund is that Tuchel is rotational. He adjusts his players, formations, and tactics to the game. I would like to see more teams in MLS take this approach as roster depth and tactics improve in the league.

Of course, being in Concachampions forces us to at least try...

TheFalseNine and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping to make the drive down to see the CCL game. Going to be exciting to see what lineup Papi puts on the field. Training camp starts Monday, gentlemen!

EricSunRa repped this.
  10. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Any word on when Hollingshead will recover? News story made it seem like next year might be a big if

11. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not long if I recall correctly. He had cracks/fractures that will need to mend. What did they say...6-8 weeks?

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what I saw too, 6-8 weeks. No spinal cord damage.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Moises Hernandez also moves on with FCD losing their second outside back in two days after Salvatierra didn't pass his physical. That leaves Figueroa and Chala at left back and Harris and Cannon at right back with the injured Hollingshead able to play either side and Acosta in a pinch. I'd say the right side is where they may still go looking depending on whether Cannon looks like he can step up immediately.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  14. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The writing was on the wall. We all knew that Mo was in the dog house.
    Very talented kid, who could land on another MLS team.
    I'd like to see him on one of the expansion teams.

I hope Cannon gets his shot, before FCD brings someone else on board

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Cannon's ready so we don't need to bring in someone else. I doubt Oscar would rather not play the HG's but they need to do their part. Hernandez had a lot of chances but for whatever reason couldn't make it work. Hopefully cannon sees this and does what it takes. I actually like Hollingshead at right back a lot so except for him being hurt either he or Attiba can handle it if Cannon's not ready. Guessing Salvatierra was supposed to be a big upgrade or I don't get why he was brought in so they may still be looking. Maybe they just brought him in for experience in CCL type games.

16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #292 El Chico Carmona, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    VivaIslamico repped this.
  17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    VivaIslamico and TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So we never picked this conversation back up, but let's have a gander...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...ons-league-format-mls-teams-play-february-may

So the rumors are true except that they won't skip the qualified teams (i.e. us) from this past season. Instead we won't start playing until 2018. This seems odd to me because, even though it's technically the "2017-18 CONCACAF Champions League" season, teams will be playing in 2018 MLS preseason time on merits they achieved over a year prior.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree that's wrong. They should see what teams qualify for next year and if the same they keep their spot and if different teams for same spot flip a coin. Meaning if their are four spots and six teams qualified over two years then the teams that qualified for both stay and the ones that qualified once flip. Someone gets screwed but then you qualify in the fall and play the next year instead of a year and a half later.

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad that's finally done. Hope Urruti puts up a big fight and the guy still beats him out. BTW, having Urruiti as a sub fresh to torture defenders would be fun to watch.

El Chico Carmona and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just booked a round trip flight and game ticket for the opener at LA for $100 thanks to my voucher from Southwest for the 4 hour delay we had back in December :cool:

#singlechildless

TheFalseNine, El Chico Carmona and TheZo repped this.
  23. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  24. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any new updates on this Sao Paulo report? I am not very encouraged by a player who might not want to be here and it could very well explain the delayed announcement but after reading that story, it seems to me like SPFC was getting desperate and wanted to potentially ruin the deal for their own interests.

If that's the case and not what was reported, the publication needs the piss sued out of them and, according to a friend of mine in Brazil, this wouldn't be the first time they've pulled a stunt like this...

So confused, at this point.