So much hate towards Seattle MLS [Merged]

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by steveoleve, Sep 12, 2007.

1. steveoleve

steveoleve Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Quincy, WA
    ...and a team hasn't even been announced yet.

So many people out there convinced Seattle won't get a team without a SSS, and so many out there are basing their opinions of Qwest Field based upon a webcast from the USL site....there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if/when we're awarded a team. These boards will certainly make for entertaining reading.

2. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Re: So much hate towards Seattle MLS.....

If it doesn't implode, first! :D

3. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ultimately the people making the most noise are folks from areas that are looking for a franchise themselves. Perhaps the vote in St. Louis will quell some of the venom from that particular region...... but I doubt it. There are New Yorkers weighing in, some folks from the Philly/NJ/DC area and of course Portland. Dallas folks joined in on the fray after we took them to overtime with our USL team........... probably out of fear that if we do get an MLS team we'll have even more talent in the relatively weak west. The thing that really gets me is that the moderators chastise Seattle fans for posting on other city forums but have nothing to say to the trouble makers who come to ours. Bottom line........... Their scared of either not getting a franchise or seeing Seattle become successful too quickly for their liking. The money Seattle owners could save on building a stadium could bring in some really good talent along with a formidable DP.

4. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, the so called "Moderator" or should I say "Moderhater" :eek: who I wil call "skull head" because that is is logo he makes jokes which about killing animals if Philly doesn't get a team which I don't find funny (oh...and he is from "Murder City" so I should be intimidated even more but I'm not). accused me of being pompus, trying to bait people into a flame war, trolling and told me to knock it off and threatened to "card" me.

See post # 28 link: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596803&page=2

I was very complimentary to both cities but he was trying to power down on me. What a hippocrite. I see a lot of people trash our city on our board and there board but when we go over to their board he calls me out. I let him know what I thought and he seemed to back off.

The efforts to get MLS in Seattle have been going since 1997. It is one of the reasons the stadium was built. Next to the Cosmos, the Sounders had one of the best averaged attendances in the NASL and have had great success in USL. Don't hate us because we are beautiful and because we have worked hard to bring Soccer back at a Major league level and are the closest we have ever been to making it a reality.

Check this out: http://goalseattle.blogspot.com/2007/09/qwest-field-under-attack-on-bigsoccer.html

5. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

It's the beer. They hate us because of the fantastic beer. None of which, sadly, can be had at Qwest Field. Sigh.

6. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That might be it........ I have to laugh when folks try to dog us about coffee too. I don't know about you but I sure as hell don't spend $5 a cup for over ated joe. I sure as hell don't sip Folgers either but trying to rip on Seattle for Starbucks is a complete joke.

Seattle wins the West their first year in............. book it! :D

7. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and let "The Butler" do it! :)

Cheers!

8. steveoleve

steveoleve Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Quincy, WA

But don't you remember....everyone's life in Seattle revolves around the consumption of Starbucks Coffee, it rains here EVERY day, and ALL sports fields within the city limits MUST have gridiron lines on them. Without those three great thruths, the great earthquake will strike and Seattle will fall into the ocean.

9. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I blame all this on Grunge......Frazier and Steve Poole.

BTW.......... I can't get these gridiron lines off of my living room carpet.

10. southsound

southsound New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    North End sec 148
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

I was watching fox fone in and they had Jesse Marsch on. He talked about the bottom line for a expansion team is money. Hanauer/Roth combo equals a lot of money. Plus didn't they hire a architect for a stadium plan? That looks like a winner to me.

For the growth of the league you would think people would welcome Seattle in. It's one of the largest markets on the west coast. Look at San Jose it's the richest city in America and they're back in the league. There is a reason phil/stl/sea are the next ones in line as it seems. They have money and tradition.

Those people hating on us Seattle fans are mainly EAST COAST BIAS. They hate to admit it but it's true. Then you got Portland hating us wich I wouldn't expect anything less. Thats why I cant wait for a Porland - Seattle rivalry.

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it has anything to do with Seattle. It's just that most people are ignorant about most things. People who live on the other side of the country don't have the time/resources/need to venture out this way, and we also aren't featured in the national media the way some of the bigger cities are.

One of the important things about Seattle that I think is hard to convey to people is that we try really hard to work together as a community. It is one of our defining qualities, and it is likely heavily impacting the stadium negotiations. Maybe those from New York and DC can't fathom our stadium authority bending over backwards to make MLS work, because their stadium authorities would never do that. While the players on both sides of the ball in other cities might be obstructionist, self-interested, or over-reaching; Seattle people try for the win-win.

I wonder if it isn't time to stop responding to all these people griping about Qwest Field and/or Seattle. Let's let them talk in their echo chamber. It isn't like the powers-that-be are going to listen to them. Their perspectives are not informed, and therefore their concerns are not worth considering. The next time someone posts some ignorant comment or question, just ignore it. If they keep reading the thread or other related threads, they will eventually find their answers.

- Paul

12. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahh... the voice of reason..:) You make great points

Cheers Mate!

13. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he should! When Paul Allen speaks.......... it's just like E.F. Hutton!

Point taken Paul.......... I agree. How's that Dreamliner with floats coming along?

14. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let the Haters be...I quite enjoy their pathetic posts they make for good wholesome entertaiment that all of us Washington and Seattle Natives can enjoy and have a good laugh at. I can't wait until we get an MLS franchise and show them how we do it up here. For now we just have to wait and be patient and yes that also means putting up with the nimrods that try and hate on us. Bring it on!:p

15. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007

Man, don't sweat it---that's his style. I've had my battles with him about his all or nothing approach. He is actually a really nice guy, but has all of his eggs in one basket here, so I can understand why he gets kinda nuts about it. Don't take it personally.

The more the merrier I say. If not 2010 then soon thereafter. It's just that we've waited so long out here, and it gets frustrating...and then it manifests in ugly ways.

Remember, none of what anyone says here has any bearing on anything that happens @ MLS (despite what you hear; there are no billionaires on this forum with any kind of pull). Why fight each other?

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the jokes about punching puppies are not mine greg. When you are on other cities forums talking about your confidence about Seattle getting in and then posting histories of the Sounders and the city whose forum you are in, with multiple smilies, it seems like gloating. Be a grown up. If I had a Philly fan who just appeared and started talking in other forums suddenly with great confidence, I would have the same warning for him.

If anyone trashes Seattle on Seattle's forum, Andy or I should be resolving that

Your so vain, you probably think this post is about you. :p

Finally here are your posts that had the potential to start a flame war on the boards

<3,

Skull Head :rolleyes:

17. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005

This is BigSoccer.

People say a lot of uneducated things and have opinions based on mis-information.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you can't handle people on the internet saying stuff about your team, then maybe you should log off and go to a coffee shop or something.

18. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000

I don't think it has anything to do with "hating Seattle"... I think that, in general, soccer fans in the US recognize the need for a team or teams in the northwest (eventually, it would be fabulous to renew the Portland, Seattle, Vancouver rivalry on a bigger stage)... those of us who remember the NASL days with some fondness (yes, you could accuse us of early senility) really want to see the Sounders in MLS...

However, the twin and interconnected issues of a giant stadium which is not controled by the MLS team is a major issue that has not played out well in other parts of the country... "sweetheart deals" may help calm the nerves, but alternate plans would be more reassuring (especially if Qwest becomes an albatross around the leagues neck)... we do have a right to voice this because all the teams are in this together... this isn't like the situation in other leagues where a single team would go into administration... unsuitable venues effect the presentation that the league makes on TV (witness the "closed door" scrimmages held every other week in KC) and also could impact the viability of the league (and, yes, many of us have an 11+ year stake in the viability of the clubs we support)...

Of course, what we think is not really all that important and the league will make the decision based on their analysis of the potential benefits and risks (including the precidence of continuing to allow these kinds of lease arrangements with giant football stadiums)... While I have expressed skepticism of the financial and soccer accumen of those running the league in the past, I think that recent performance would suggest that they know a lot more about making and spending money (and growing the league) than I do...

good luck, Seattle...

Rand

19. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

He can't get the gridiron lines off of it...

20. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can take the heat and I am staying in the Kitchen. : ) All of your comments are duly noted. Good luck to Philly and St. Louis in getting a team, we are all deserving because we all have the passion for the beautiful game, history, great fans and great cities. I appologize if I offended anyone. I am a very passionate Seattle Sounder and footy fan and perhpas I tend to get carried away a bit. : ) . Peace and God Bless

Greg

21. brew1b

brew1b New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Bremerton, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

S'funny - as a kid growing up in Bellevue, I always said that California would have an earthquake and fall into the ocean. Poor San Jose - get their team back only to fall into the Pacific. :D

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's me, by the way. :cool:

23. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The fear of Seattle continues. Sounderfan you really stirred up the hate coming out of Dallas. I think their squeaking by in USOC has put the fear of "Sounder" into them. Just think what this Sounder team would look like with a DP and some additional talent added to it. The fact that they passed on Letoux and then lost Cooper is another sore spot....me thinks.

Let them fill with hate......

24. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

You know, I was really depressed after that game. The Sounders absolutely should have won it, if they ever could have been bothered to actually finish a shot. They were KILLING me that entire match.

25. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seattle had several opportunities to win in regulation but failed to take advantage of their chances...... Roger missed a couple chances..... but that's Ok. The team and the fans represented, despite what people watching on their 3" X 5" screen on their computer think.