So let's talk about jazz

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MikeLastort2, Dec 2, 2004.

1. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I heard on WPFW last night that Dave Douglas will be at Sangha in a few weeks. I've never been there but now I have a good reason to go. Seems like a small venue for him. Any idea how they managed to book him?

2. caliban

caliban Member

Jan 22, 2004
    bogs, fens, flats
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of their performances are booked through Transparent Productions, so maybe someone there has worked with him before? I don't know. But you're right, I was surprised when I heard he'd be performing there, given the size of the space.

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Anyone has the blue note collector ceedees. They have been compiled by different artists and aren't all jazz really but they are great albums. I have the 'blue note saturday night and sunday evening', the 'blue note carnival' and 'a warm blue note session'.

4. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I've been checking box sets out of the college library where I teach. I just returned Bird: The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve which has too much Bird with strings for my taste (about 4 cds, of which I copied one, it's just not my thing) and is very comprehensive on the complete part (about ten 15-20 second outtakes of Cherokee), but it has some live stuff I've never heard that's just jaw dropping. There's a version of "Perdido" with Bird, Lester Young, and Roy Eldridge playing and Ella Fitzgerald singing that hit me like a hammer the first time I heard it.

I just checked out The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's a hot tip. Sounds great, thanks.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Qunitet he co-led with Max Roach is must-have post-bop.

Has anyone mentioned the Dave Holland Quintet? I absolutely love everything they've done. The double live CD at Birdland is smoking.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    They're excellent. The Cole Porter and Rodgers & Hart ones are the best.

Her version of "Begin the Beguine," a tough number to sing, is the best I've ever heard from a female singer.

8. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I've got the cole porter and the george and ira gershwin songbooks on vinyl. I checked it out mainly for the Duke Ellington Songbook, but the Rodgers and Hart has really grabbed me.

Great call on Begin the Beguine. Her sense of timing on that song is amazing.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that version.

I also really love this Sammy Davis Jr's version I have with nothing but bongos and his own snapping -- talk about tough. That's just crazy.

Sammy Davis Jr was incredible.

10. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh, I always wondered what happened to Transparent. Now I understand why Larry Applebaum is always plugging the Sangha gigs. He booked some great shows back in the mid 90's and then it seemed like Transparent just vanished into thin air.

11. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I'm with you, I can't stand the Bird with strings stuff. Funny thing is, he was really upset when they took the strings away. Supposedly he felt more like a "legitimate artist" when he had the orchestration thing going on.

12. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to Ella for a minute:

Her work with Louis Armstrong is exceptional. Their reading of those evergreen standards is impeccable, plus Armstrong's mostly straight playing is clean and bright. What a wonderful open tone on his horn.

[​IMG]

I bet she could pin him in about 24 seconds...

13. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that leads to that Dial vs Verve debate that Bird fans get into. I've been reading about the Dial sessions, and while they captured the bop essence well...Bird was a mess! He actually tried to have 50% of his Dial royalties given to his heroin dealer.

I would agree about the string, but it's interesting to to listen to the solos. But of the Verve sessions, the version of "Star Eyes," ...the way he floats over the changes-whew! That's one of my favorite Parker cuts.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only person who really likes Miles' electric work? I'm talking post-Bitches Brew here.

15. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    When I'm in the mood for it (which isn't that often now that I don't really smoke dope) I like On the Corner quite a bit. It's got some really funky grooves (along with the great cover art). Haven't listened to a lot else other than Live at the Fillmore East, which is too spare for me.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. If nothing else, though, I don't think there is better 'hit-the-road' music than "Jack Johnson." "Right Off" makes me want to road trip, every time.

17. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I want to get that live CD. The only recent thing I have by Dave Holland is Prime Directive, which I really like.

His big band has a new CD coming out soon. I was hoping to see them recently when they came to town but that was the day of the major snow storm. As for older Dave Holland, I love Conference of the Birds. Also, his solo album, Intuition is really good. I was skeptical at first -- a solo bass album, you got to be kidding me. But it delivers.

As for post-Bitches Brew Miles I have to confess ignorance. The only thing I know is his take on Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time". :)

18. caliban

caliban Member

Jan 22, 2004
    bogs, fens, flats
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll second Conference of the Birds. That's a great album.

19. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would second the Dave Holland props-I've seen that band live about 6-7 times and they are really outstanding.

I was recently refered to this Dave Leibman disc:
    [​IMG]

I like his playing, and what I've heard of this disc sounds interesting.

20. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Eh, I just think that Bitch's Brew is sort of a line of demarcation seperating jazz eras, and some folks simply prefer what went on prior to that. I, myself, listen to mostly bop/hard bop as a matter of choice. It's just what I like although there was certainly some great jazz made prior to that era and after.

Here's a rather tasty album that I absolutely love:

[​IMG]

Hank Mobley is just damn good.

21. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is an album I've been listening to a lot recently. IMO, people don't talk about Trane's ballad playing enough. He didn't have the vibrato of some of the early swing guys or the deep sexy tone ala Sonny Rollins, but he had a way of transforming that intensity that you hear in the faster numbers and solos, into a real haunting touch when it comes to ballads. Their version of "In A Sentimental Mood," is my all-time take of that tune.

Also listen to "Alabama," (not on this album) the intro, and then how it breaks into a walking line, without losing that elegiac feeling of the intro. There is also an alternate take of "Naima" where he solos-very moving.

It's easy to come up with favs on the fast numbers, but what are some other favorite ballads by Coltrane?

22. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    The solos on John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. The most romantic album ever made...

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I dig me some Johnny Hartman.

He may not be to everybody's taste, but this is a great record.

24. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I'll second the choice of "Alabama". "After the Rain" is another gorgeous Coltrane ballad.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but after 1970, there is certainly a big difference between what went before (Bitches Brew itself isn't as radical a departure from what the second great Quintet was doing circa Filles de Killimanjero). For me, it's all Miles, and therefore all good. I go in phases with MD--three years ago, it was the acoustic work of the second quintet that most rocked my world. A few years prior, it was the first Quintet.

Hank Mobley IS damn good, and that's a great album. Have you heard the Friday and Saturday night at the Blackhawk remastered? There's a lot of Mobley there.