So let's talk about jazz

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MikeLastort2, Dec 2, 2004.

1. caliban

caliban Member

Jan 22, 2004
    bogs, fens, flats
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Ray got me thinking. Another one to consider is Mingus at Antibes

[​IMG]

2. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    I just stumbled across blue miles. It was certainly in the neighborhood of what i needed.

3. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I was thinking...

I have real nice book of Herman Leonard photos, and this one I think may be the definitive jazz photo-Dexter was a cool, motherf*$@#, wasn't he?

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Late to the thread and came to jazz from rock'n'roll which somehow seems to make one unlikely to be a Coltrane fan...but there's some great albums mentioned here and very few lemons...

Someone requested praise for Stephane Grappelli so let me recommend "Meets Barney Kessell" and "Limehouse Blues" (when "MBK" went to cd they split it in half and filled out the two resulting releases with the outtakes.The outtakes aren't disappointing, though I like the original tunestack better...) Also a pretty obscure one on Pye called "1971," and an odd duet release with Lal Subramanium called "Conversations."

How about Five Albums From All Over the Place That Noone's Mentioned Yet:

1. Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band- 1954
    2. Stan Getz- Sweet Rain
    3. Dollar Brand- African Marketplace
    4. Keith Jarrett- Treasure Island
    5. Sonny Rollins- Way out West

And a mention to my favorite living drummer, Chico Hamilton.

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Way Out West is one of Sonny's best-great album cover as well :)

I like Treasure Island a lot too. Introduction/Yaqui Indian Folk Song , is one of my favorite Jarrett performances. I like the guitar sound on some of the tunes as well, which is not a traditional jazz tone.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    You should check out Francis Wolff's book of photographs from the Blue Note sessions over the years. His work is fantastic.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I always think of this when I think of jazz photgraphy:

[​IMG]

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Hey, Mike and the gang ... you know it's Jazz Appreciation Month here in the District of Columbia? Lots of jazz performances -- free and otherwise -- all over, mainly at the Smithsonian:

www.smithsonianjazz.org

Being a swing enthusiast, it's been a great month thus far! Big three-day extravaganza this weekend at Freedom Plaza!

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yes, he was...yes, he was.

10. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Another Hal Leonard: Sonny Stitt

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I just got Blue 45's - The Ultimate Jukebox.

[​IMG]

I believe it's a European only release, but it's pretty darn good. Here's the track listing:

1. Dat Dere, Pt. 1
    2. Camp Meetin' - Don Wilkerson
    3. Funky Mama, Pt. 1
    4. Wavy Gravy, Pt. 1 - Kenny Burrell
    5. Blind Man, Blind Man, Pt. 1 - Herbie Hancock
    6. I Know - Freddie Roach
    7. Brown Sugar - Freddie Roach
    8. Brother Isaac - Donald Byrd
    9. Fat Judy, Pt. 1 - Big John Patton
    10. Jody Grind, Pt. 1 - Horace Silver
    11. Rev. Moses - Lou Donaldson
    12. Psychedelic Sally - Horace Silver
    13. Fungii Mama, Pt. 1 - Blue Mitchell
    14. Bucket - Jimmy Smith
    15. Move Your Hand, Pt. 1 - Lonnie Liston Smith
    16. Spanish Harlem - Bobbi Humphrey
    17. Turnaround, Pt. 1 - Hank Mobley
    18. Rumproller, Pt. 1 - Lee Morgan
    19. Trouble, Pt. 1 - Stanley Turrentine
    20. Blue Bossa - Joe Henderson
    21. Alligator Boogaloo - Lou Donaldson

All the "Part 1" 's are where the label clipped the tune in half for the 45, but it's still kind of cool to see how these singles were heard on a jukebox.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    My favorite Rollins release.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Did not know that. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

14. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Thanks for the link. I must check that site out thoroughly.

BTW, Blue Note: A History of Modern Jazz is playing this month on Encore Drama and Starz in Black, for those of you who have access to those channels. Here's the listings for the rest of the month.

Encore Drama:

April 21: 1:40AM
    April 24: 2:15PM
    April 25: 6:30AM
    April 28: 12:00AM
    April 29: 2:10PM

Starz in Black:

April 30: 9:20AM, 4:10PM

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jazz Musicians, After the Spotlight Fades

NPR is running this series of stories:

16. eku28

eku28 New Member

Fulham, Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louis Armstrong - I'm a Ding-Dong Daddy from Dumas

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Try "1964" too, if you haven't already...

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is portrait that was taken of Sonny Rollins, that is in last week's New Yorker. Good piece-check it out if you can get a copy.

Elegant.

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can't remain un-illustrated . . . .

[​IMG]

Also: I have that New Yorker but haven't read it yet.

Also, Also: Caught the last twenty minutes or so of the Michael Caine classic "Alfie" on cable the other day, and I had forgotten that Sonny Rollins did the soundtrack, which is really good.

I don't know if it was a thematic decision or what, but Sonny and Cher of course do the title track, "What's it all about, Alfie?" with Cher singing and Sonny producing.

Final note: Everything But the Girl do a great acoustic version of that song on their Acoustic album.
    Correction: It's apparently on some best of record "Like the Desert Miss the Rain" which is odd. I know I have that song, but I don't think I have that record.

Back to jazz....

20. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer about the editing, but that's an incredible compilation.

21. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sonny during his mohawk period. Funny (and this shows my age) there are two people who spring to mind when I think of Pro Keds: Jo Jo White and Sonny Rollins. Sonny was way ahead of his time on that score-imagine the kind of coin he could have made with a sneaker endorsement today?

I happened to see Alfie too-it was on HBO.

All this movie and jazz talk means I'm going to have to put this disc on soon
    [​IMG]

22. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm not as well versed as some of you with hte classic jazz tunes. But... I do have a cd that might be of some good interest for nu-jazz fans. It's from the Cosmic Sounds label... the label that released Arkestra One's album. In the USA, Arkestra One (Matt Timony) had his album released by ESL records - that is the label of Thievery Corporation.

The album is "Cosmic Sounds Remixed", and I relaly dig it. It has some pretty sweet interpretations of tracks. Check out Nicola Conte's mad cool version of Jerome Richardson's "Way in Blues". Awesome instrumentatino and a perfect Conte stuyled vocal with Cinzia Eramo. Another great track is Ennio Styles remix of SHQ's "Cubano Chant". Now, of course it is no mystery that I tend to go more for some of the latin rythms and jazz. But this cd to me was worth a listen. It's got that nice, late night sort of feel to it - perfect if you're movin' through the city or simply bouncing tunes off of buddies with a jack on the rocks in hand.

[​IMG]

I definitely recommend this. Also, I reviewed it in the Musica Do Brasil thread in better detail, but you might want to give a listen to Break & Bossa vol 7. It's a compilation off of Schema label in Italy. The series has sort of evolved and isn't so much into the broken beats, but more so nu-jazz. There's some pretty sweet tunes on there. "Mr. Cool" is one... hell that's an exclusive track that was previously never even released. Another is Cai featuring Miss Malone with "Tears in Her Eyes". Talk about an ambiance to a track! But I should say that B&B is a bit mroe abstract and experimental so it probably won't be the album of choice to purists. To me though, it's a damn good compilation of nu-jazz and sound. It does have an older track - check Lorez Alexandria's "Baltimore Oriole"... think that's from maybe the 60's. And I know I've heard the intro to "Take Off" before.

23. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Someone was a Gilles Peterson fan in one of the other threads and liked his comps... well he has a new "Impressed" cd hitting the USA in July. It's tentatively scheduled for July 5th but it's so far in advance, don't be surprised to see it come out in the mid- end of the month.

[​IMG]

GP's been pretty busy in the last few months and may have shy'd away from some of the broken beats as of late. He released a cd titled 'In Africa' in May, taking more underground and natural tuens out of Africa, much like he did with his "In Brazil" cd. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of "In Brazil"... it was pretty mediocre to me.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bahhh-buh-dip-bop-bippidy-deep-booo-buh'dump-dump-dump

BUMP!