so lets get this straight you lot are selling owen

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by slimshady69, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timresh

timresh New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Manchester/B'ham UK
    Oscar, you and I are going to have lots of fun ;)

Very pleased to meet you, may your bad temper continue to cheer me up for many days to come... :D

2. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's for this reason that I contemplated closing the thread at 2 posts.

The original post is full of straw.

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be mistaken, but Oscar was directing his comments at mental midget slimshady69, not you. Though the idea of slipshady69 winning a "debate" with Oscar is pretty darn funny.

4. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    Timresh, 03/04 Owen scored 16 goals, same as Angel and Yakubu but one less than Forssell. 02/03 he got 19, Viduka got 20 and Beattie got 23. I know the point is that Beattie came and went but Owen was consistanly good. But my point is that every year he was consistanly behind Henry and Van Nistelrooy who (as well as I'm sure you'll tell me played for better teams and so found it easier to score) are better goalscorers. I would like Henry please, you can have Owen.

5. timresh

timresh New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Manchester/B'ham UK
    Hi Lockjaw: I kind of had a feeling the above was aimed at me. I took a bullet for SlimShady anyway, i'm a good person like that, lol.

6. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Sinko, I did not mean to step on your lines. We posted at almost the same time. Close the thread if you want to, we have certainly seen topics presented better.

7. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking a bullet for a mental midget is not heroic - it is like saving a cockroach. Any way welcome to the forum.

8. shafizah7

shafizah7 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I don't really like Owen. So i guess i wouldn't even care if he goes. In fact buying him was a mistake in the first place. That is why RM is thinking of selling him now.

Comparing Owen to Raul, I think Raul is much much much better. So what if he does not perform well in two seasons? That guy has done a lot for the team.

I feel that its not a big a deal that Owen scored a lot of goals last season. Pls he was very fresh against defenders who played the whole match whereas he just came in. Its a no wonder that he can score. I remembered when they played Owen in the whole match last season and he did not score.

I don't know, i really do not have a lot of confidence in Owen.

9. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to which source exactly?

Until the words come from the mouth(s) of Perez/Sacchi/Buitre/VanderLux, this notion is baseless conjecture.

10. timresh

timresh New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Manchester/B'ham UK
    I see what your saying but we'll have to agree to disagree!! I think that RVN and Henry are better players to watch, Henry inparticular likes to play sexy football which is something RM fans always want to see. On the other hand, simply as goalscorers I believe, inmho, that Owen is on par with such players. Of course we will only know if he gets a solid place in a top team with good support players, where he can always guarantee a good run in the champions league. But hey, that's why he joined RM, to get a chance at the best team in the world. I think it would be absolute madness if he wasn't given a proper chance next season; if he does get that chance and his doesn't pull it off, then I will be the first to admit I was wrong about him. Though if Lux doesn't give him one more season how we will never know...?

11. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. We're on the same page as usual.

12. shafizah7

shafizah7 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I'm not saying that there are sources to this. But look at the rumours going on. Buying lampard by selling Owen plus another 20 million. Doesn't this mean that they are thinking of selling him?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1412816,00070001.htm[/URL]

13. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me that you don't equate silly season rumors with what is actually going on in the minds of the Real Madrid execs?

This implies that the RM front office makes its decisions based on what some know-nothing 'journos' dream up in their columns.

Calling such a stance 'foolish' would be an understatement.

And you use The Hindustan Times as a reputable source? OMG. Why not the Borneo Beacon? Maybe the Vanatu Daily News? How far away from Madrid do I need to go to find the actual transfer news truths?

14. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The only person who has said Madrid made an offer for Lampard was his agent, much like Zlatan's agent not so long ago saying that Madrid made an offer of 70 mil for him. (I believed him......ok I didn't)

The only people who have said that Owen is definitely leaving Madrid have been the press, the same press that are saying that people like Diogo, that guy from Osasuna, Robinho, and Ramos will definitely be starters over some of our current players next season.....even though none (zerO) of them have even been bought, nor is it certain that any of them will even be playing for us next season. (even if they play for other clubs, they will still start for us though...AS said so)

Nobody from the club has made any statements about who will start, who will be a bench player, or who will leave the team. And why would they at this stage of the year, when if they say a player is going to leave, not only would teams offer less for him (after all we'd 'want' him to leave) but if the chance occurs that the player isn't sold, we'd be left with a less than motivated player.

15. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    That guy from Osasuna's (Pablo Garcia) transfer is now official. As for that AS article that you indirectly refer to, it was just a cover page that showed the prospective signings. You can't really make a good cover with a shot of all those players on the bench, can you?

16. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It was more than just a shot of all the new players. It described how Raul would be a bench sitter, how Diogo would fill the spot in the left mid helping out Garcia in the midfield chores, how Ramos would be the partnership with Woodgate in the defense and if there was any problems "there'd always be Helguera from the bench".

They didn't present it as "this will be our possible new player's roles", they presented it as "this will be how the team's first formation will be". Hence them talking about Raul and Helguera as bench players.

Wether all these players get bought now, makes no difference. At that point none have been bought, none have played a second for the team (including Woodgate) so there's no chance the technical staff could have made any kind of decision on who will mainly be a starter or not for them to bring the "news" that Helguera and Raul will be bench players, and all these newly purchased (which at that point was zero, and at this point is still only 1) players would be immediate starters.

17. ise_bashis_

ise_bashis_ Red Card

May 25, 2005
  18. MrMan

MrMan New Member

May 20, 2005
    It is not comparing two different things to say we should not have gotten Owen when we needed a DM. A squad and a team, need balance. 3 strikers and 0 decent DMs isn't balance.. Cambiasso isn't a makelele or a gravensen (who isn't even really a DM, but he can play it very well)

Raul is the team captain, the spanish symbol of Real Madrid and one of the best strikers in existence.. If there is a player you would want to put faith in, it is him. Every player goes through periods of poor form and few are run into the ground like he was during the 03/04 season.. buying a 'galactico' who plays in his position is not going to inspire him onto greater form to keep his place, because he's been spent already..

Look at the game against racing santander, Raul scored two and created two. Show me a game where Owen had as much of a effect from the start to the finish.

Apart from that, we also didn't need Owen because we already had Morientes (and heck, Guti and Portillo too).. when a striker of Morientes's ability and class is leaving because he can't get games, what is the point of bringing in another 'galactico' to serve what is essentially the same role.

This 'theory' isn't just a theory. It is a fact.. Owen has a better scoring record as a substitute than as a starter. For the record, Valencia was a much stronger team last season and we beat them 3 - 0 in the copa del rey semi final.. that wasn't so long ago, just before that great form slump..

My overall point here, is that Owens performances, while very good in places, only papered-over the holes in the team, the problems with the team.. it is why we didn't win anything this season, because the holes were 'filled' by the signing of a new 'galactico' which in reality, ignored the problems of the team (much like Beckham last season) and made an occasionally flashy, but still poor last-minute substitute for Viera, whom we failed to get after a protracted campaign to sign him. (I agree that Alonso would have been fantastic, but there was 0 chance of him coming to madrid, he said it himself)

It is no coincidence that our resurgence of form came after the signing of Gravensen, along with a new coach, rather than the signing of Owen (also with a new coach). The comparison here, is the contrasting effect of signing a player we didn't need, versus signing one we did.

Owen is a great player, just not the TYPE of player that we need, which is why I won't be surprised if he goes when Robinho comes.

19. slimshady69

slimshady69 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    the meadows ghetto
    thats stupid because

a) owen didnt perform well as a starter because he probly wasnt match fit as you lot played as a sub

b)its his irst season ffs,and he destroyed raul,raul was rubbish,just admit it,and owen was very good

c)as owen realised lux was showing more confidecne in him owens confindence went up as a starter and killed it as the end of the season

stop being stubborn you lot where did you lot finish the season before owen came???4th???

so what happend in that season,was owen to blame for that poor finish because he didnt come sooner

face i, you lot are trying to off load a great ex european player of the year,when he should be starting,save some face and admit it

20. echineko

echineko New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Malaysia
    hey, i'm malaysian and my family's from india, lay off will ya! :p

21. MrMan

MrMan New Member

May 20, 2005
    Ok this is getting silly, comments are now of the 'this guy rocks, that guy sucks' ilk..

22. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right off the top of my head, there was the 1-0 win against Valencia. And the 1-0 win against Dynamo Kiev. It seems to me Owen's goals had a pretty big effect on those games.

Your logic that Owen scores better as a substitute is circular. When Owen is played as a sub, he scores as a sub. When Owen is a starter, he scores as a starter.

It is obvious that we disagree on the value of Owen so I suggest we move on. But you might want to consider that when a player scores so many goals for a team, including a number of game winning goals, their acquisition can hardly be called the biggest mistake of the season.

23. timresh

timresh New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Manchester/B'ham UK
    Exactly, I think all the relevant points have been made in both camps. It does look like he should be staying though:

Sporting Life - Owen going nowhere

24. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me get this straight...Nottingham Forrest used to be one the best clubs in Europe and now they're in the First Division?

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey genius, you are the only one here who needs to save face by providing a reputable source to support your accusations that Owen is trying to be off-loaded by Real Madrid.