so I'm cooking a pig

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by fatmaradona, Apr 26, 2003.

1. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    the entire frickin thing--any suggestions?

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Do a kahluha pig.

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Don't use the microwave.

4. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Don't forget the apple!

5. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I know nothing about cooking a whole pig, but it reminds me of a story. In college, I has a next-door neighbor who was a biker dude. We got be good friends, and often spent our evenings drinking beer and so on (and so on and so on). One night we'd drank a few beers (and smoked a lot of so on and so on). A really rough biker dude came over. We drank a couple of beers and so on and so on. They started talking about the biker outing they'd had the weekend before. We were pretty wasted and I was getting a little nervous. Then my friend says to the rough biker dude: "You guys wasted that pig." They went back and forth in what I thought was secret biker jargon for awhile, but my friend three times said "You guys wasted that pig." I assumed that meant "You guys killed that cop." I really didn't want to hear about it.
    Later I figured out "wasting a pig" meant roasting an entire pig, then getting so drunk that they compltely burned it and even if they hadn't, they were too drunk to eat it anyway.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Paging Ian Lozada....

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My grad school softball team (Slash and Burn, so named because the core had done fieldwork in SEA, where there was a fair amount of slash and burn horticulture, and also because we were pathetically bad and needed some kind of edge) used to have a picnic at the end of every season and it always involved a pig roast. The pig roast, in turn, always involved a lengthy debate between the guys who'd done fieldwork in Borneo, where they just roasted the thing on a spit over coals all night, and the guys who'd done fieldwork in the Philippines, where they roasted the thing on a spit over coals all night, but also put a mixture of oils and spices on it. Usually, the Borneo faction won, because the roasting was being done at the girl scout camp (known to the team as Camp Lolita) at which one of the Borneo guys was care taker. I did field work in Indonesia, among muslims, so can offer no helpful commentary whatsoever in response to your question other than to recommend you to join a softball team...

8. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    No suggestions other than starve yourself right before cause that stuff is awesome. Also, make sure that you've invited enough people cuase it feeds a lot.

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dig a pit about two feet deep and 4 foot long and then fill it with whatever wood you like to cook with. I use oak or large chunks of apple or cherry wood, you can use mesquite(sic) if you want to.make sure you cover the entire floor of the hole. Set it ablaze and let it burn down to the point where there are no visable flames or very small ones, and then place large rocks(about five pounders)in the pit enough to cover the bottom thoroughly. Let the rocks heat up for about a half an hour and then place banana leaves over the rocks. Make sure the leaves have been soaked in water, and then had all the excess water removed. Place the pig on top of the leaves and then cover it with more of the same.Make sure to cover completely with the leaves. And then cover the whole thing with seaweed or if not available,dirt. Do not jump up and down on the dirt to pack it in, this is a bad idea and will result in a failed pig. Before you place the swine, rub it with lots of garlic butter, salt and pepper and stuff it with pineapple.Results may vary, beerking is not responsible for any lost porkers:D Good luck!

10. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch

ah, thank you---stuffing with pineapple is a must, and I can eat garlic butter raw, so this sounds good.
    Now I need mohitos and tiki tourches and I'll be ready to go