So how will we do this season?

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by Footstomper, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It might be the delightful summer weather, but I'm feeling rather optimistic. If we get a decent striker in, or one of the teen sensations comes good I think we could get a european place this year. I might ask Santa for a cup as well, FA would be best but I'd be satisfied with a Carling.

I dont think I've been this optimistic about the team for about 7 or 8 years

2. 15woodcroft

15woodcroft Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I will be more optimistic if we could get some more firepower upfront. If we can do that, and keep the rest of the squad we have then I will be very optimistic. Given all the strikers we are linked with seem to be hedging their bets at the moment, I think one of them will be left standing at the end of this game of musical chairs we call the close seaon, and they will end up at west ham (That's as optimistic as I can get right now)

And is chucking it down here, for the record.

3. harkes6

harkes6 Member

Apr 24, 2007
    san francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our preseason form was mixed. i'd still wait to see what pans out transfer wise (re: upson, neill, a striker)

as of right now i'd say we could pip a euro spot or finish no lower than 11th. and the carling cup shall be ours :cool:

4. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought our preseason was crap! So I'm thinking 'bad rehearsal: good gig'.

(Bad Rehearsal is a small town in southern Germany where choleric musicians go to take the healing waters)

5. The Delaney

The Delaney New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Chicago
    Club:
    Le Mans UC 72
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need a striker and a right back before we can start dreaming of Europe. Pre season was pretty bad, but that doesn't mean anything. A top ten finish is realistic.

6. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Preseason got gradually better as the players got fitter and actually started trying.

History dictates that one good season is usually followed by a bad one. It's as if the rest of the league susses you out so that the old methods of play no longer work.

So I think we need an injection of fire power through wingers and forwards. Plus some solidity at the back, especially if Upson leaves.

With these gaps filled I think we can safely expect a top 10 finish. Europe, as we discovered last season, is a bit more challenging.

7. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    15th. Last season was amazing but I can't see us doing it again.