so for lent...

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by fidlerre, Mar 4, 2003.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    okay, i put this in here b/c most people give up some sort of food <i.e. : chocolate, candy, alcohol, etc> for lent..

so what are you sacrificing?

myself, alcohol.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember once my friend Mitch gave up picking his nose. He talked about it ALL through Lent.

3. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    i feel as though i should give up something for lent, but i want to find a balance between something that would be pointless to give up, and something that i cant do without. however, there seems to be no such thing.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did that once at college...once

Fortunately I went to Notre Dame so there was quite a bit of empathy (usually accompanied by a shake of the head)

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I'm giving up Gardenburgers, asparagus, tofu, and Brussel Sprouts for an unprecidented thirty-first consecutive year.

I'm dedicated.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    My roomie is giving up brussel sprouts. I applaud him for his willpower but I am a little freaked out by his masochism.

But dude, don't knock tofu. It's damn good when it's done right, something most non-Asian Americans don't know how.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. There's a Thai restaurant and a Chinese restaurant around here that cook tofu so well, that I often get it instead of meat.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody beatify that man.

9. mackem_ftm

mackem_ftm New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    York
    i think i'll give up not having sex for lent. that could be good.

10. Ceebs

Ceebs New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    I agree. There's a locally produced kind we get here by the San Diego Soy Dairy, which is absolutely wonderful. It's rich and substantial - kind of like eating meaty cream cheese. Doesn't have that cloying, rubbery soy taste either. I always slice and eat it raw and plain, and I imagine it would be even better cooked and spiced properly.

For lent I'm going to try to give up chocolate.

11. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Eating tufu is like chewing flavorless gelatan.

Nothing will ever convince me that tofu is a product fit for consumption by humans.

If you have to qualify something with 'If it's done right' then I don't want it. It has zero flavor. Tofu is simply a white, slimy catalyst for getting spices down your throat.

Plus, it's not even made of meat!! What the hell is that all about? How can you have a meal where the main ingredient isn't meat?!? Is that even legal?

12. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Then just eat some meat dipped in cream cheese, if that's what it's like. Why do you sicko vegetarian and vegitarian sympathizers always insist on making things that are shaped like, or taste like proper foods? Why not just eat the real food?

Brainwashed wackos.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's just my politeness getting the best of me. By "if it's done right", I meant "if whitey don't fuck shit up".
    Therein lies your problem. You think of tofu as a substitute for meat. It could be, but it's not. It goes great with beef.

14. Ceebs

Ceebs New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Because I'm allergic to both of those things. A life of tofu and veggies isn't ideal, but it's better than going to the ER for a moment on the lips.

Thanks for lumping my meat-cooking, leather and fur-wearing ass in with the "brainwashed wackos". Maybe you should give up making assumptions about people for lent.

15. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Good lord no! :eek:

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me I should have to believe in god in order to troll...er...post in this thread.

People that can't or don't eat meat are made wrong.

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Is it possible to give up Judaism for Lent? :)

17. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    You don't want to do that, man. Give up Judaism for Advent - that way you get Christmas presents - the only redeeming quality of Catholicism. :D

18. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm giving up Coffee.