So Club Tijuana Xolos are officially in the Primera Division.... are they our team now?

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, May 21, 2011.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they weren't selling the "sideline" seats behind what was normally home plate on the upper levels in advance of the game. So that cut out a good 10-12,000 or so seats right there. So it was pretty close to sellout for what they were actually selling for the game. And it was almost 9,000 more people than the last Xolos v America tilt in San Diego last summer which drew 20,000 to Qualcomm. Come to think of it that was the Xolos largest crowd in San Diego if I'm not mistaken.

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if my post came off as bashing Xolos. Not my intention. Have adopted Xolos and been to two games down at Caliente. Just felt like I was hearing rumors that it was sold out and tickets would be hard to come by. So was imagining 40,000, but if they weren't even selling large chunks of tickets it makes sense.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Xolos have the lead in their CCL group after the win last night.

4. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I would travel to a Xolos's game(I'm from north county). Now if SD had a MLS team, I would travel to downtown SD for that!

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but would you travel to chula vista or el cajon?

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you did there...

7. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If public transportation would take me there from Carlsbad, ie coaster and trolley then ya I would go.

Would you travel to Oceanside?

8. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a trip from North County but if you have time would highly recommend a game. The atmosphere is great and really friendly. Plus you can get a 24 ounce tecate (well technically two 12 ounce tecates) for about 5 bucks. A lot cheaper then Qualcom.

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: yup

i would, but i have no idea how many others would. maybe 20k a week, maybe 40k, maybe 5k...

10. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets put a team in Escondido. They were trying to get a minor league ball park built up there a few years ago. A SSS wouldn't be much more and multi-purpose. Plus could have them sponsored by Stone, call them the Gargoyles!

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I approve of this idea. Sadly I don't think the Escondido city council will support that any more than they did the minor league ballpark in the end.

Also peeved the Xolos passed SD over later this month to play the San Diego Clasico in Los Angeles. Who the hell wants to drive to Carson.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know they do these things for money, right? If everyone always thought only of staying in their home market and making only those people happy now and forever more, they would never become anything other than a local brand.

At some point, you have to tour to support the album.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I get that. And Xolos have made it clear they want to become the team of the entire southwestern US (they're more than a little ambitious considering they were a lower mid-table team this past half season). That said, I'm still peeved. I'd come to enjoy the winter/spring games in San Diego when they come across the border. And to host it under the San Diego Clasico parent name is a little insulting (though at least they renamed the game itself the LA Clasico). Maybe it's the Quakes fan in me, I hate losing out to LA on anything.

14. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just the quakes fan nobody in San Diego likes losing out to LA. But I am actually not that bummed about them playing up there. For me half the enjoyment of seeing a Xolos game is the atmosphere at the stadium in TJ. It actually makes more sense for them to play up in LA try and attract fans who can't make the drive as easy to see them at home. I actually missed the one in July, busy weekend couldn't make both the Xolos and US game, and figured I could see the Xolos during the regular season and enjoy a better atmosphere. Just my thinking.

Yeh and I know Escondido probably wouldn't build the stadium still would be fun to have the team sponsored by Stone ;)

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you got to one. I had to go to a poorly timed wedding that happened to be the same weekend both the Xolos and USMNT games were in town. The one weekend I would have had local soccer and ironically I was up in the Bay Area not able to take in either of those games or a Quakes game since they were out of town.

16. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A good discussion on how high the stakes are in SD...

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...o-la-galaxy-club-tijuana-and-tussle-san-diego

The likely scenario is when the Chargers get their downtown stadium, SDSU could end up building a smaller ~30k stadium in Mission Valley that will be "soccer oriented" instead of soccer specific.

LA and TJ are just trying to take advantage of the opportunity to tap into SD while they still can.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Chargers get their new stadium (it could be downtown or it could be at the current Qualcomm site), SDSU will be playing there. There's no chance a second SSS is built in either case.

As for their being a "battle" currently for San Diego, I call BS. There are Xolos stickers on cars all over the place down here, people wearing Xolos jerseys on game days (like many do for the Chargers), etc... I've only ever talked to one fan of the Galaxy from Oceanside... and that was here on BS.

18. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to wait until the chargers give specifics on their plan, mainly where the money will come from and whether Faulconer is actually on board cause from his previous comments on the issue he was adamant about not using any taxpayer money or even selling public land for the stadium. Which I agree with.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why the Qualcomm site seems more likely. They can sell the development rights to the land without selling the land itself. And the infrastructure is already there for a stadium rather than having to build additional infrastructure in downtown.

But backtrack to Marford's first point, SDSU is going to be a tenant of the Chargers wherever they end up. They won't be building a second stadium for themselves. Presumably any future MLS team would also be a tenant at a new Chargers stadium... In the meantime it will be interesting to see where the USL team starting in 2015 ultimately plays.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things considered, doesn't Torero make THE most sense?

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh definitely. There's no other stadium in San Diego that combines the size of a USL stadium, with a relatively central location and with a decent to good grass field. If they used any other stadium other than Torero it would have to be for a very good reason (such as cost).

22. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Chargers seem to prefer a downtown stadium, while SDSU would probably prefer a stadium closer to campus.
    They may play downtown, but it might only be temporary.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/3622/morning-links-stadium-talk

23. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Chargers should know by now that getting public money ain't gonna happen, they should have another strategy ready, especially if they want it downtown. Maybe Faulconer can help to push it through.

If there are NFL, NCAA and MLS teams all using the downtown stadium, it would be worse than CLink.

The smart move would be for a prospective MLS owner to team up with SDSU for a smaller stadium.

As for the USL team home, USD is similar to SCU... its a no brainer.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing in that article to support what you're saying. Everything I've seen says the Aztecs would be playing long term at either location that the Chargers choose to build. As for MLS, they don't even play into this. Either the Qualcomm site will be hosting the new NFL stadium or it will be redeveloped to pay for a downtown stadium. There really isn't a location in the city for a SSS that is in play right now (nevermind a lack of ownership for an MLS team). I think San Diego is more likely, given the MLS expansion landscape right now, to remain a USL city long term with the D1 fan being satisfied by the neighboring Xolos.

25. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The article clearly covers the Chargers downtown issue but doesn't address the SDSU situation directly... however this one does:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Nov/12/sdsu-aztecs-on-campus-stadium-jim-sterk/

SD is too big to be satisfied with just the Xolos and USL, it's hard pressed for a fan in Mira Mesa, Poway or Carlsbad to support the Xolos consistently. There is a space for an MLS team to succeed here. Garber keeps saying it over and over, he wouldn't mention SD if there were no discussions going on, especially now since there are plenty of cities that want an MLS team.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...n-garber-gives-update-leagues-expansion-plans

Chula Vista and National City will continue to support Xolos for the most part, however I think we have already seen "peak Xolos" since the club turmoil within the past 12 months has lowered morale a few notches down.

As for the SSS, I just hope that is an option... partnering with the Aztecs would make it more financially feasible. Although I could also see an MLS team deciding to stay in a downtown stadium with a Vancouver/Seattle type situation.

It's designs like this that inspire thoughts of a soccer specific venue for MLS in SD.
    http://dbrds.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/idea-reclaim-balboa-2015/

I just hope Irwin Jacobs is part of the "discussions".