Smart Playlists for iTunes

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bmurphyfl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if other mp3 players have smart playlists but I like using them on iTunes/iPod. I curious to see what smart playlists others have designed.

I'm using these smart playlists:

Title: Recently Added
    Purpose: A quick easy way to get to the tunes I've most recently added to iTunes.
    Conditions: Date Added is after 1/1/2005 (I got it for Christmas so just about everything is after 1/1/2005)
    Limit: 100 songs selected by most recently added
    Live updating

Title: The Little Guys
    Purpose: I have so many songs from certain artists that when I put iPod on general shuffle, the same artists come up every half-hour or so. Therefore, I put together a smart playlist that filters out all of those artists with more than 30 tracks so I can get a more varied shuffle.
    Conditions: Artist is not [a list of 25 artists]
    Limit: 500 songs selected by random
    Live updating

Title: Unplayed Tunes
    Purpose: A quick easy way to find songs that I've loaded onto iTunes yet never taken the time to listen to on iTunes/iPod.
    Conditions: Play Count is 0
    Limit: 400 songs selected by random (although I've gotten the list down to 325 unplayed songs by using this playlist)
    Live updating

Title: Will Oldham
    Purpose: Will Oldham has used a lot of different band names over the years so it's an easy way to pull all of his tunes into one playlist (even as I add new albums)
    Conditions: Match any of the following conditions - Artist contains Bonnie, Artist contains Palace, Artist contains Oldham
    Limit: no limit on tunes
    Live updating

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I never use playlists, so I deleted all of them. But when I did, I did things like "Long Songs" (over 5 min) "Short Songs" (under 2 min). I also did things like taking every "2nd track" song in my library. No real point, just did it for fun.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I've done the "recently added" and "unplayed" too, but for "recently added", I set the play count to less than 5 since I have a habit of overplaying new songs.

I also have a smart playlist with "Last played" set to "more than 1 week", so I don't get a repeat.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea. I'll add that one.