Small Changes to Rules

Discussion in 'Referee' started by gosya, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    I wanted to list small changes to the rules that I would make if I was an all-powerful despot. I don't visit the referee boards often, so apologize ahead of time if these have been discussed already.

1. Automatic Yellow Card for Foul in the Penalty Box - while there's no specific law that imposes the referee to issue a yeallow card for any contact foul (read: non-handball) in the penalty area, it seems in practice any time there's an infractionk, no matter how small, the ref reaches for his pocket. I think that's unfair - if it's a non-cardable offense outside the box, it shoudl be non-cardable inside the box.

2. Automatic Red Card for Last Defender Foul in the Penalty Box - clearly outsiede the box, in m opinion, this should be an automatic red. However, in the penatly box - it seems pretty clear to me that no cefender wants to purposely foul, since doesn't gain advantage. The premise for this rule change is that the defending side gains no advantage fom a penalty being called. Thus, a penalty and yellow seem a fair punishmet, IF there was still a goalkeeper between the ball and the goal. For instances where it's an empty net, I would keep the auto red card. I just feel like, in case of a tied game, a penalty and red signal an end to the competitive match (a la Farnce-Italy at the 2008 Euros).

3. Penalty for Handball - I think unlessit was a direct shot on goal or a similar goalscoring oportunity, this infraction should be penalized with a direct free kick inside the box, but not a penlaty. So often we see harmless crosses and up hitting upper extremities and changing the course of the game, where it's clear that the fdefende had no intention of doing so, and the situation was clearly non-threatening. I understand the big problem of the rule is that it would hand the referee the judgement on whether the in-game situation was dangerious enough, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

4. More Yellows for Exaggeration of a Foul - while FIFA and other governing bodies have done an admirable job cracking down on diving, they haven't been imposinng enough against foul-sufferers who embelish the extent of the foul to draw a yellow card. This is especially evident in off-the-ball infractions - small pushes, headbutts, etc. While the headbutter should still be clearly sent off, the victim - if he embelishes the extent of the push/foul should receive a yellow in my opinion as well.

What are your thoughtss? I understand this is a wish list, and some things ay not be possible to enforce. So, I'm curious to hear from you not jsut re the logic of ideas themelves, but as actual referees whether you think these ideas would actually be enforceable in live games. Thank you.

2. OldAndNew

OldAndNew New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    USA
    See 'Thinking cap session' thread.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725534

but - for quick answers:

1. Not necessarily so.

A deliberate push by an attacker at midfield has far less impact on the likelihood of enabling a serious attack on goal than does the same push by that attacker inside the penalty area. It's not always 'this shove is the same as that shove' - what has to be assessed is the potential advantage from the illegal action. Think of it in somewhat similar terms as 'trifling' or 'not trifling'; did it, or would it, have a significant effect on the subsequent or intended actions.

2. Sure - on a definite goal denied - give the penalty kick AND the RC. On just an 'opportunity' denied, there's a case for PK and YC only.

3. You could also plead the same case for lots of trips, shoves or tugs in the PA that may be 'non-threatening'. That's why the ref makes the big bucks! He must decide if the ;handling' was deliberate or not - just as he must decide if there was in fact a 'trip', 'shove' or 'tug'. I do agree that the 'handling' offenses can be more likely to be misjudged by the ref than the contact issues. But, that's life!

4. There are provisions in the Laws to sanction those who 'exaggerate' the seriousness of an injury or the severity of a foul. So, that requires no change in the Law - just enforcement. - see

http://www.mrdp.org/PositionPapers/7+7Memo2006PRO-AM.pdf

for a USSF perspective on that.